Status: Bittersweet Goodbye. This story is now complete.

Let the Walls Fall Down

Chapter 12

“Where the hell is Demi?” I asked no one in particular as I stared at my phone. She was supposed to be at the bowling alley a half an hour ago and still hasn’t shown up. I’m starting to get really worried, especially since she isn’t answering her phone or my texts.

“She’s still not answering?” Brian asked me as he rubbed my back. I shook my head and tried not to cry. I don’t want him to know how scared I am.

“Selena!” I heard a voice squeal and I looked up to see Marissa, Demi’s best friend from Texas. We used to all hang out before mine and Demi’s falling out. I haven’t spoken to Marissa in years. I stood up and ran over to her and engulfed her in a tight hug. “I have missed you, pretty girl!”

“I have missed you too.” I told her as we pulled apart.

“Where is Demi?” she asked.

“She didn’t come with you? She said she was picking you up.” I got more worried.

“No, she came over to Tiffany’s earlier but said she wanted to go home and change. Since Tiffany said she was coming to hang out, I came with her. But she should have been here already.” She explained, and now she sounded worried.

“Hey Selena.” Tiffany said as she came over.

“Hey.” I smiled weakly and hugged her. “So how did Demi seem at your house?”

Tiffany looked at me confused before answering. “She was fine, her usual chipper self. Well other than that weird incident with Debby.”

“What happened?” I asked sternly. I swear if Debby did something to Demi I will murder her and I am not a violent person.

“I honestly don’t even know. Demi was just telling me about tonight and how you wanted your friends to meet this guy you’re seeing and Debby jumped down her throat about you guys not dating. I was so confused by it all, but Demi seemed to be really upset about it and was really tense until Debby left.” Tiffany explained.

I get that Demi would defend me, but I don’t think that’s why she wouldn’t show up here when she knew that this was important to me. Something else had to have happened, and I am betting that Debby had something to do with it. My mind was racing with possible scenarios when Brian came up next to me and placed his hand on my lower back. “Everything okay?” he asked concerned.

“Why don’t you call and ask your stupid little sister what the heck she did to my best friend.” I barked at him then walked away. I couldn’t stand by him right now because I know that this was going to cause some issues for us. I don’t trust Debby, something about that girl irks me and I don’t want to have a feud with her knowing that she is important to Brian. I looked over my shoulder and saw him standing there talking to Tiffany and Marissa, they were probably telling him what they just told me because he looked over at me and started walking toward me.

“Do you really think that Debby did something to Demi?” he asked.

“Of course I do! I’m sure Tiffany told you what Debby said about us.” I exasperated.

“Doesn’t prove anything. You’ve said it yourself that we’re not dating. So why would that comment upset Demi enough to not show up here?” he questioned me like I was on trial or something.

I was going to argue with him when my phone started to ring. I looked down and saw it was Demi so I quickly answered. “Oh my god, are you okay?”

“I’m fine, I’m sorry but I can’t come tonight.” Her voice was strained like she was crying.

“Demi, what is wrong?” I asked worriedly.

“Nothing, just have fun, okay?” she said then hung up. I tried to call her back but it went straight to voicemail. I let out a frustrated groan and fought back tears because I know something is wrong with her, but she’s not talking. I looked up and saw Alex walk in and he looked upset. It can’t be a coincidence that Demi is upset and didn’t show up and Alex walks in and looks like he’s been crying. Something went down with those two and I’ll be damned if I let him or Debby hurt Demi.

I stalked over to Alex and glared at him, “What did you do to her?” I shoved him.

“Selena, what the hell?” Brian gasped and pulled me back.

“He did something to Demi, I know he did! Look at him, he’s upset and so wasn’t Demi!” I squealed then turned back to Alex, “So tell me what the heck you did to her!”

“I’m so sorry.” Alex said quietly. I could see tears well up in his eyes, he really was sorry, but I didn’t care. He hurt my best friend and I told him if he was going to hurt her to stay the hell away and tell me so I can help her and he didn’t! And he made it seem that he was going to choose Demi just a few days ago.

“Told you Debby wouldn’t have done anything to her.” Brian stated. “But dude, what happened?” he asked Alex.

Alex looked up confused, “Why would you think Debby did something?” he asked me.

“Because she has been really mean to Demi, I don’t trust her.” I exasperated. Alex acted really strange when I told him this, what was he not saying? “Oh my god, she is the reason you hurt Demi. What the hell happened?” I yelled and shoved him again.

“This isn’t the place to be having this conversation.” He said calmly.

“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes. I walked over to where I had been sitting and grabbed my purse. “Tiffany, Marissa, lets go. Demi needs her friends right now.” I told them then turned to Alex, “and you stay the hell away from her. Don’t call her, don’t text her, don’t go by her place and if you see her on the street you better walk the other way.”

“Selena, you’re being unreasonable.” Brian tried to mediate the situation.

“No I am not, Brian. This is my best friend who has been through hell and back. And under my dead body will I allow her to go down that path again. You can choose not to believe me when I say Debby did something, I don’t care. But right now your loyalty to her is the least of my problems.” I told him. He looked upset, like I just told him that I didn’t want to see him again. That look broke my heart but I can’t think of my problems right now. I just shook my head and walked away with Tiffany and Marissa on my trial. I text my other friends and told them that the bowling date will have to be reschedule then quickly drove to Demi’s apartment.

“What’s going on?” Tiffany asked when we got to Demi’s apartment.

“I’m not entirely sure but I’m pretty sure Debby did something, because Alex wouldn’t have hurt Demi and he did.” I told her as I kept knocking on Demi’s door.

“I’m not sure I am following. Why would Debby want to hurt Demi, she’s like the sweetest girl ever.” Tiffany asked dumbfounded. Obviously she was fooled by her friend.

I rolled my eyes, “she’s not as sweet as she seems.” I told her. “Damnit Demi.” I groaned then dug through my purse to find the spare key she had given me. When I opened the door I saw Demi curled up on the floor, I wasn’t sure if she was alive or not so I rushed over to her in a panic and began shaking her. “Demi.” I kept repeating.

“Oh my god.” Marissa gasped from behind me.

Demi began to stir and slowly opened her eyes. Thank god that she is okay, physically that is. When she sat up she rubbed her eyes, what were red a puffy from crying, and looked at me confused. “You should be bowling and having fun with Brian.” She scolded me.

“When my best friend is at home upset over an asshole? Not a chance.” I shook my head and hugged her.

“Did he show up there?” she asked quietly.

“Yeah he did, he looked really upset. He wouldn’t tell me what happened, so what exactly did happen?” I asked her cautiously.

Tears started running down her cheeks as she stood up and walked over to her couch and plopped down, hugging a pillow to her chest. I haven’t seen Demi this distraught since the time period after her miscarriage and Trace calling her all of those horrible names. This really scared the crap out of me because I don’t want her to relapse; she’s worked so hard to go back to that dark place. I went over and sat next to her and she immediately laid her head on my shoulder and cuddled up to me. I wrapped my arms around her to comfort her. I looked over at Tiffany and Marisa who looked worried. Tiffany went over and sat down in the chair next to Demi and Marisa sat on the floor in front of her.

“Debby is pregnant.” Demi finally said after a long silence. This revelation caused us all to gasp.

“No she isn’t, she would have told me if she were.” Tiffany said.

Demi lifted her head slightly so she could look at Tiffany, “What you’re calling me a liar? Alex was here and said she was pregnant so he has to be with her.”

“I’m not saying you’re lying, but Debby would have told me that she was pregnant. Maybe this Alex guy is lying.” She suggested.

“I don’t think so Tiffany. Alex wouldn’t lie about something like that; he loves Demi and would never hurt her. If he said Debby is pregnant than she is. It just proves my point, that girl is not the sweet person she perceives to be. I don’t trust her at all.” I explained.

“I wouldn’t put it past her to lie about this.” Demi grumbled.

“Okay, I am really confused here. Why are we hating on Debby? And why do we think she or Alex is lying about a pregnancy?” Marisa asked highly confused.

“Wouldn’t you try and lie to a girl that you feel is threatening your relationship. Debby knows that Alex was on the verge of possibly breaking up with her for Demi. So why not do the one thing to guarantee your relationship not failing?” I told them.

“And you didn’t hear how she talked to me earlier this afternoon. She cornered me by the bathroom and told me that if I didn’t stop talking to Alex that she would make my life a living hell. And when I told her that I wouldn’t do that because he is my friend and she would have to deal with it, she said that she would go after Selena and her relationship with Brian. I didn’t know what to do, she could threaten me all she wanted to but don’t threaten my friends. Then the next thing I know is Alex showing up at my door saying Debby is pregnant. I don’t think it is a coincidence but he said he saw proof.” Demi recounted the events of this afternoon.

“Well it looks like she’s getting her way because Brian has taken Debby’s side already. We didn’t even get to the dating stage and we’re already fighting. I have been in a relationship before where another girl was priority and I can’t do that again. Best friend or not.” I sighed and laid my head on top of Demi’s.

“You both are strong girls, you don’t need boys.” Marisa tried to cheer us up.

“I know it just really sucks, because I really love this guy and I took too long to make right on my mistake.” Demi sighed.

“How about we call the girls and just make this night about us girls and forget all the boys?” Marisa suggested.

“I’m fine with it if Demi is.” I shrugged.

“I think it’s a good idea. I shouldn’t sit in this apartment and make myself depressed. It obviously is going to sting for a while but I can’t go down that road.” She said.

“Okay I’ll text a few people and see if anyone still wants to go.” I said and took out my phone.

Demi said she was going to go freshen up when there was a knock at the door. “Um, can someone get that?” she called through the apartment.

When I answered the door I was surprised to see Brian standing there. I stepped into the hall and closed the door behind me. “What are you doing here? And how did you even know where Demi lived?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Alex told me where she lived. I just needed to talk to you.” he said sadly.

“There is nothing to talk about, Brian. I get we haven’t known each other long and you’ve known Debby for years and she’s like a little sister to you. Family comes first, I know how that is. Demi is like my sister and I will defend her ass until the day I die. But if you came to me and said that you had a bad feeling that she hurt someone you cared about I wouldn’t be all ‘that’s not her’ I would be all ‘oh really? Why do you feel that way?’ I wouldn’t brush you off; I would be Switzerland and talk to both parties before defending either side. You just immediately took Debby’s side without knowing anything! At the end of the day I’m the girl you want to date so if you’re just not going to take my feeling into consideration then we should just stop talking now.” I ranted.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t take your feeling into consideration or listen to you when you were trying to tell me something was wrong. But you have to understand that Debby isn’t a vindictive person, she wouldn’t set out to hurt anyone.” He continued to defend Debby.

I laughed bitterly, “oh really? Then maybe you should go ask your precious little sister what she told Demi this afternoon. She told Demi if she didn’t stop talking to Alex she would not only make Demi’s life hell but mess with our relationship. But you probably don’t believe me and I know Demi wouldn’t lie to me about that. She wants to see me and you happy even if she is in pain. She would give up her own happiness to make sure I am in a good place and not go to the dark place she was in and I almost went to. So you go have a fantastic life with Debby because I don’t want to be with another guy who puts another girl before me.”

“Selena, please don’t do this.” My heart ached at the vulnerability in his voice but I can’t go down the road I did with Nick.

“Do what? Protect myself? I won’t be made a fool of.” I cried.

“I’m sorry! I will do better, just please don’t end this before it has yet to start.” He begged.

“We’ll see, but right now I have to take care of Demi. Call me tomorrow and we’ll talk.” I sighed in defeat.

“That’s all I ask.” He said taking my hand in his, caressing my back of my hand with his thumb. “For the record though, Alex is devastated.”

“Maybe you both will wake up and smell the roses. Until then we all are going to be devastated.” I told him. Before he could say anything I kissed his cheek and went back into Demi’s apartment and closed the door.

“Sammy and Francia said they are in so let’s get this girls night started!” I cheered even though a part of me was dying inside. If it’s the last thing I do, I will ruin Debby and make everyone see what a conniving little bitch she is. For me and for Demi.
♠ ♠ ♠
Trouble in paradise for Brian and Selena now. Did Selena overreact or did she have a right to say what she did? Everyone seems to be Team Debby in all of this and won't hear to reason. I guess the only way to get people to see that Debby is a conniving little twat is to take her down. But how are they going to do that? This is where the story starts to really take off, so I am hoping that people really are enjoying it. Leave me comments!