Status: completed, but will be posting consistently

Unintended Love

Chapter 8: Part 1

Friday afternoon, after I knew that school was over, I called Eric on his cell phone.
“What’s up, Rain. You feeling better?” asked Eric.
“Yeah, I’m feeling really good.” I answered.
“That’s good,” he said.
“I’m calling to ask you a favor.” I said. “Will you come with me to the football game tonight?”
“What? Football? Why?” asked Eric.
“I’ll explain to you when you get here.”
I figured now that Zack is starting to come out, it’s okay to start telling people. At least people that I’m close to; which is basically Gabe, Carly, and Eric.
That afternoon, I could finally get ready without cringing in pain. Though, my head was still filled with worry because they haven’t found my dad yet. That’s why I’m going to the football game. It’ll finally be something to get my mind off of him.
As I was getting my shoes on in the living room, the doorbell rang. I finished putting my shoes on and then got the door. I smiled and let Eric in.
“So, why do you want to go to the game again and why do you want me to go with you?”
“Come in,” I said. “Sit down. You’ll need to.”
He followed me into the living room and we sat on the couch.
“Okay, so, it started in Hawaii, before I got here. That’s where I met Zack Morgan.”
“Whoa…did I hear that right?”
“Yeah…Zack Morgan.”
“So, you knew Zack before you even got to Sunset High?”
“Knowing him is kind of…minimizing it.”
“What do you mean?”
“This never gets any easier to say,” I said to myself. “We sort of…fell in love.”
Eric laughed in my face. Something I hadn’t experienced before.
“I’m sorry, Rain, but you’re delusional,” he said laughing.
“What are you talking about? I’m telling the truth.”
“Rain, Zack is straight. STRAIGHT. He has a girlfriend.”
“Not anymore,” I said.
“What?”
“He told me Tuesday that they broke up,” I said.
“I’m just having a really hard time believing this. I mean, he and his friends made my life hell when I came out. It’s died down a little bit now, but…he’s straight, Rain.”
Just then, the doorbell rang.
“I’ll be right back.” I told Eric.
I got up and opened the door. It was Zack. What a better way to prove my point.
“Hey,” he said.
“Hey Zack. Don’t you have perfect timing? Come in.”
“What?” he asked as he walked in.
We walked into the living room and Eric’s mouth was wide open with shock.
“What’s with him?” asked Zack.
“I just told him about Hawaii.” I said.
“Oh…I guess he didn’t believe you.” said Zack. “Look, could you just…just not say anything right now. I don’t want everyone to make a big fuss out of everything right now. Especially now that football season is starting.”
Eric was still silent.
“Are you sure he’s okay?” asked Zack.
“Yeah,” I said. “So what’d you stop by for?”
“I just came to see if you were still coming to the game.” Zack answered.
“Well, if Eric ever comes back to reality I will.”
“Good,” said Zack. “I really want you there.”
“Zack…not now. Not in front of Eric. He’s gonna get confused.”
“Well, I’ll go then. See you at the game.”
Zack left and I saw him out. When I walked back to the living room, I sat next to Eric.
“That was Zack Morgan,” said Eric.
“Yeah,” I said. “I told you.”
“But…are you still with Gabe?”
“Of course! Zack and I are just friends now.”
Eric put a hand through his hair. He didn’t say anything. I suspect that he didn’t know what to say.
“Who else knows about this?” he asked.
“Carly…and Gabe knows too.”
“And you’re just now telling me?”
“Well, I had to tell Gabe and Carly just figured it out.”
“How?”
“She saw Zack leaving my house.”
“This is…this is just unbelievable. Zack fucking Morgan, a homosexual just like us.”
“Actually, he’s bisexual.”
“Details, details. He still likes boys.”
I laughed. “Just remember. This is just between us. A lot of bad things could happen to him on the football field if this got out.”
“I don’t like keeping secrets, but I guess you’re right. He could probably get hurt out there. He’s an ass, but he doesn’t deserve to be hurt.” said Eric. “Oh, why didn’t you just ask Carly to take you to the game. She’s right next door.”
“Well, she really doesn’t like Zack. She knows that he hurt me a lot and doesn’t trust him. She would never take me to the game. And I promised Zack I’d be there.”
“Are you sure there’s nothing going on between you two.”
I wanted to be honest, but would I trust that he wouldn’t tell Carly or even Gabe if I told him?
“So, if I tell you the truth, do you promise not to tell a single living soul?” I asked.
“Well, I guess not.”
“No, you have to promise or I won’t tell you.”
“Okay, I promise.” he said.
I took a deep breath. “Okay…I still have feelings for Zack and he’s made it really clear that he loves me.”
“But you’re not going behind Gabe’s back?”
“Well…I don’t know if I am or not. It’s really complicated. I feel like I am.” I said. “Occasionally, we…we’ve kissed. It’s been something I couldn’t help. And…and we’ve slept together. Two weeks ago.”
“What!”
“It just happened. I didn’t plan on it. And…I wanted to stop it…I did, but I just couldn’t. It was something that I was waiting for since I first met him.”
“I have to admit, he’s beautiful, but not that beautiful. You can’t just cheat on people, Rain. You have to tell Gabe.”
“I will…just not yet. I want just a little more time him.”
He looked at me disappointed. He put a hand through his hair and then cleared his throat.
“I don’t know if I should take you to this game.”
“Look, if you don’t come with me, I’ll just by myself and who knows what’ll happen then.”
He shook his head and finally agreed to take me.
When we walked into the football game, there were tons of people. We could hardly talk or think, that’s how loud it was. The bleachers had turned into a sea of red and black. “Go Huskies” signs were all over the place.
Eric and I found a place to sit in the bleachers. I spotted number twenty-seven. Zack’s number.
The game started out with a bang. Sunset had the ball on the first possession and the kickoff returner ran the ball for sixty yards, giving Sunset great starting position on the field.
The first play went really smoothly. The quarterback, Kevin Greer, handed the ball to the first string running back, Marshall Peterson. He broke loose from the line of scrimmage and ran the ball for another ten yards for a first down.
For the next play, the quarterback dropped back. It was going to be a pass play. The defense tried to rush Greer, but his protection was good. He passed the ball right to Zack and he caught it perfectly. The entire crowd cheered “Zack Attack!” over and over again. I smiled with pride, but I didn’t know why.
The team was five yards away from the end zone. In the red zone is the football terminology. The quarterback dropped back again; another pass play. This time, Zack ran into the end zone, trying to out play his defender. The quarterback threw the ball to him once again and Zack caught it for the first touchdown of the game.
The audience went into a roar. The team surrounded Zack and they each took turns patting him on the back and the butt; a celebration.
As Zack walked to the sideline, I could see him searching the stands. He found me and pointed to me. He mouthed the words “for you”. He smiled and I smiled back.
Eric looked at me, “Just friends huh?”
“I can’t help it if he still loves me.” I said to Eric.
“Just be careful. Gabe is really sensitive. He gets hurt really easily.”
“Look, I have no intention of hurting Gabe. But if that does happen, I’ll try to make it hurt as little as possible.”
As the game progressed, our team’s score got higher and higher. The visitors scored some points, but never really caught up. Zack also scored the last touchdown of the game and the crowd went wild shouting “Zack Attack!” once more.
I could see now why the entire school put him on such a pedestal. He’s an excellent football player. I’ve never enjoyed a game so much in my life. The end game score was 35-17 in our favor.
After the game, I told Eric to go home without me. I wanted to wait for Zack. I waited by his car. The lot emptied around me. It was a mix of angry opponents and celebrating huskies.
It was about an hour and a half after the game when the football team started to come out of their weight and changing rooms. Zack was still laughing and the team was still praising him. They recreated key plays with an invisible football on their way to the parking lot.
I think Kevin Greer’s car was the one right next to Zack’s because they were walking in the same direction together. Zack’s face and eyes lit up as soon as he saw me. It scared me how much he’s been growing on me the last few days.
“Hey Rain,” he said. “This is Kevin. Kevin this is Rain.”
“Hey,” I said. “Great game, you guys.”
“Thanks,” said Kevin. “I’ll see you later, Zack.”
“See ya,” said Zack.
They slapped hands and Kevin went to his car. Zack walked up to me. I was leaning against the side of his car. He stood inches in front of me. I felt his electric pull. It was making me shake from nerves.
“So, you waited here all this time just to see me?”
“Yeah, I wanted to congratulate you on the great game.” I said.
“You could’ve just called.” he said.
I didn’t have an answer, because I knew that he was right. I also knew that at that moment, I wanted to be with him more than anything. I knew that I still cared about Gabe, but it was obvious that I would never be drawn to Gabe the way that I’m drawn to Zack.
“Actually, I stayed because…because I wanted you to know that I’m ready.” I said. “I want to be with you Zack.”
“What about Gabe?” he asked right away.
“Gabe…you know better than anyone that things with him are complicated. But when he comes back on Sunday, I’m gonna tell him everything. That’s when we can be together again.”
“I have to wait until Sunday?”
“Yes,” I said. “I’m not gonna cheat on Gabe twice. I just won’t. I care about him too much. You just have to promise me that I won’t be your dirty little secret.”
“Oh…”
“Zack, I mean it. If we’re gonna do this. We have to do it right. I’m not going to keep myself in the closet for you.”
He took a deep breath. “Okay”
“I mean it, Zack.”
“Okay…I promise that…that Monday…we’ll be a public couple.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. I love you, Rain. I’ll do anything for you.”
“I love you, too.” I said.
He leaned into me even more and our lip locked into a kiss. That’s when I realized that Kevin’s car hadn’t left.
“Hey…is Kevin watching us?” I asked.
“Yeah…he’s probably just curious. He found out the other day that…that I’m bi.”
“Oh,” I said.
He shooed Kevin away and the car started and drove away. It was kind of weird, but I guess it didn’t bother me much.
“So…Eric was my ride and he left a while ago…”
“I’d be happy to take you home,” said Zack. “Just…can we get something to eat first? I’m starving.”
I smiled, “Yeah.”
Zack and I drove to Madeleine’s Diner. We thought we’d be alone there, but it seemed that much of the team was hungry as well. They were all there, taking up at least fifteen tables.
“Do you have room for us?” Zack asked the hostess.
She smiled at him, flirting. “Of course, Zack.”
“Thanks” he said.
She grabbed two menus. When we walked into the dining room, the team cheered for Zack. They all asked for him to go sit with them.
“No thanks guys.” he said.
Inside I was glowing with pride that he chose me instead of them. Me; who he’s only known for a couple of months over them who he’s known for years.
The hostess sat us down at a booth and then took our drink orders. She smiled at Zack once more before she left.
“What was that?” I asked.
“What? I can’t help it if girls are friendly with me. Besides,” he took my hand. “I’m here with you; no one else.”
There was a smile on Zack’s face wider than I’d ever seen him smile. He was so happy. Happy to be with me, I guess. And I was actually happy to be with him for once.
But I spoke too soon, because before I knew it, one of his team mates was standing in front of our table. I expected him to let go of my hand as quickly as possible, but he didn’t. The tall linebacker-looking guy was scowling at me and Zack.
“Zack what the hell is this?” he asked.
“Hey Terrell, this is my boyfriend, Rain.”
“Now you’re gay or something?” asked Terrell.
“No, I’m bi.” said Zack.
“Oh…”
Terrell’s demeanor suddenly changed from scowling to smiling. I was immensely confused. Terrell just turned around and went back to his table. He seemed to tell everyone what was going on.
“I don’t get it?” I asked. “Weren’t you scared out of your mind?”
“Na, Terrell looks scary, but he wouldn’t hurt a fly.”
“Oh…” I said, still kind of confused.
“Hey, it’s okay,” said Zack, squeezing my hand. “Most of the guys on the team are really nice.”
“Then what were you afraid of for so long?”
“I don’t know. I guess…I was just a coward.”
“Not a lot of people would admit that, ya know.”
“I know, but I want to be honest with you.”
“Yeah?”
“Yeah, and having said that, I wanted you to know that I talked to Amy again yesterday.”
“The dance?”
“No, we didn’t go.” said Zack. “I wanted to know how she found us.”
“I never really thought of that.” I said, which was true. But now that he brought it up, I was curious.
“She followed us that day. Shit, I didn’t even notice her.” said Zack.
“I didn’t either.” I said.
“Well, I just feel really bad for hurting her like I did.” said Zack. “I really did love her at one time, but…you know.”
The waitress came again to take our orders. She also brought refills of our drinks. Mine was only half empty, but Zack had slurped his down in what seemed like seconds
We both ordered cheeseburgers and fries. The waitress smiled and left with our orders. Once she left, my cell phone started to ring. I took it out of my pocket. I got nervous when I saw Gabe’s name on the caller ID. Zack must’ve noticed my scared face.
“Gabe?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I said.
“Answer it. You’ve gotta face him like I had to face Amy.”
“I know, but I have to do it when he gets back. As much as I hate it, I have to lie to him now.”
I answered the phone. Gabe was telling me how sorry he was that he wasn’t here to help me heal. He said he was sorry for not being able to take me to the dance. He kept apologizing for everything which made me feel even worse than I did. When I hung up, tears were flooding my eyes. Zack took my hand.
“I’m sorry, kid. I know that this is hitting you really badly.”
“I’ll get through it. I have you.” I said. “But I don’t know about Gabe. He doesn’t have anyone.”
“Maybe we should stop talking about this.” said Zack.
Our burgers soon came and we both sort of shut up about the subject. Zack’s teammates would come say bye to Zack as they left the diner. They would all look at me with special wonder on their face. But none of them made a big deal out of it.
“So, ready to go?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I answered. “How much were these burgers again?”
“It doesn’t matter. I’m paying.”
“What’re you the guy in the relationship now?” I asked.
“Well, I am the butch one.” He smiled widely at his own joke.
I couldn’t help, but smiling with him. “Well, I’m still a guy and I’d like to pay for my own meal. Besides, you were the one with the winning game. I should be buying you a victory dinner.”
“But I want to do this. I’d like to pretend that it’ll help make up for all of the shitty things I said to you.”
“What about me? I said some pretty bad things to you too.”
Just then, the guy in the booth behind me stretched around. It was Kevin Greer.
“Look, Zack Morgan is the most persistent guy I know. I suggest that you just let him pay for dinner.”
“Thanks Kev,” said Zack.
“It was just to get you two to stop arguing.” said Kevin, sarcastically. “We’re trying to eat here.”
I folded and let Zack pay for the food and we walked out. This time he took my hand and weaved our fingers so they interlocked perfectly. People stared, but I didn’t care and Zack didn’t seem to care either. We were both just happy that we were finally together again.