A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

Do I Worry You?

Kate's POV
"Come on Ash you ready to go?" I looked at my son lying on the lounge room floor with Millie the kitten on his chest.
"Yes," he cradled her as he sat up, "is daddy coming?"
"Of course I come," Evgeni appeared down the stairs after me.
"Yay!" he put the little kitten in her bed and ran over to Evgeni jumping into his arms.

Asher was so excited for Evgeni to be finally coming to one of his games and I couldn't blame him.
As close as Asher and I were there was nothing like a father and son relationship. Asher always wanted to make his dad proud and I loved to watch him do it.

"Mummy are you coming in?" Asher looked nervous standing outside the locker room.
"Not this time bud, daddy is going with you."
"Ok," he still looked uncertain.
"Hey don't worry, we will be proud of you no matter what ok?" I gave him his good luck hug.
"Ok, I try," he smiled.
"That's all we want."

Anne and I took the kids and went to sit up in the stands while Craig and Evgeni helped the boys get ready.

Evgeni's POV
"You nervous?" I looked at Asher as he stared down at the floor where I was tying his skates.
"A little," he admitted shyly.
"Don't worry bud, you play great," I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Asher," Rhys jumped up into the seat next to my nervous son.
"Rhys," his eyes widened and the nerves seemed to vanish.

"Hey G," Craig slapped my shoulder as he knelt down in front of Rhys.
"Hey," now I was nervous for Ash.
"It's just as nerve racking as getting ready for our games, right?" he smiled.
"Yeah, now know how Kate feels when we play."
"Oh Anne always reminds me about the kids before I play every game."

Kate didn't remind me before the game she reminded me afterwards if I did something dumb. She would get angry and then go on about how hard it would be if something happened to me and then I would have to promise not to do it again.

"You score me goal?" I sat next to Asher and put my arm around him pulling me into his side.
"I try," he fiddled with his hockey stick pushing the tape down.
"You want me tape?" I looked at the the tape worn blade.
"Yes please," he handed it over and sifted though his hockey bag for his tape.

"White or black?" I looked at the wo tapes.
"White like you," he pointed up with a smile on his face.
"Good choice."

I tried to make him feel a little more at ease before we had to leave.
"Don't go," he looked so sad holding onto my arm.
"I go find mummy we watch and cheer ok? You be fine," I gave him hug.
"Hey Asher," Rhys distracted my sad son.
"Yeah," he turned around and a smile crossed his face as Rhys had his fist out. They bumped fists and began laughing at each other. Kids were so simple, I guess sometimes adults could take a leaf out of their book sometimes and have a little fun.

Kate's POV
Evgeni was really getting into the game. He looked just as worked up about everything going on as he got during their games.

"Hey babe, sit down," I grabbed his jacket and tugged him into the seat next to me.
"Sorry, kids mean though," he looked horrified at them pushing Asher around.
"He will be fine, he has to learn to deal with it himself."

"Go Ash!" He stood back up when our son grabbed the puck.

We all began cheering at the top of our lungs as Rhys and Asher took of down the ice. Asher passed it to Rhys like always but instead of taking this hot Rhys passed it back and Asher had no other option but to shoot.

"Yes!" I jumped up as the puck hit the back of the net.
"He scored!" Evgeni looked at me with wide eyes, "he scored!"

I hadn't seen Evgeni this happy in a long time. Even when he scored his own goals he wasn't this happy.

Asher looked up at us as he got swamped by his teammates. He was was so happy and I couldn't help but feel so proud of my little man.

The hype settled down and honestly little kids hockey was still pretty serious. They were all over Asher and Rhys after that.
"Hey ref, come on, are you blind!" I shouted as they kept pushing our little guys around.
"Hook!" Geno stood up getting angry at them.

Evgeni's POV
My little guy was good at dealing with the hassles and that surprised me. I was glad he wasn't like me in that department, I would have gotten angry and done something dumb.

"What the..." I stopped remembering my language in front of the kids when Asher was knocked down going towards the goals.

I was angry at first which then I became extremely worried when he didn't get up. "Please be ok Ash, please be ok," I begged with my eyes closed.

His coach was carrying him off the ice and before I even got chance to grab Kate she was heading back towards the locker room.

"Oh my god baby are you ok?" she ran up to our little boy lying on the bench looking dead to the world.
"Mummy," he tried to reach up and grabbed her.

"Daddy," my heart sunk as he began to cry when I sat down next to him.
"It's ok bud," I ran my hand through his sweat drench blonde hair, "you did good."
"I score goal for you," he smiled weakly.
"I know, I saw, I am so proud," I kissed his little forehead.

Kate's POV
The doctor said he had minor concussion and with a few days rest he would be ok.
"I love you baby," I lent down and kissed him as we tucked him into bed.
"I love you too," he wrapped his arms around me.

"Did we win?" he looked up at Evgeni still only caring about the hockey game.
"Yeah you won," he lent down and kissed him goodnight.

"Now you get some sleep," I touched his nose.
"I don't want to sleep," he yawned.
"Yes you do, come on," I gave him his teddy.

"He will be ok," I reminded Evgeni as we got into bed.
"I know, just worried. Do I worry you?" he looked at me wanting an honest answer.
"Every single time you step on that ice, I worry. After your accident," I traced the scare down his neck, "I haven't been able to concentrate on the game."
"Really?" he curled an eyebrow at me.
"Every single time," I softly kissed his lips.