A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

My Princess

Kate’s POV
We were highly disappointed when we found out Lacey would have to stay in the special care nursery for a little while longer. But having Luka back in the ward with me was comforting.

I still had some convincing to do with Evgeni on the fact that he wouldn’t drop either one of them.

“He’s not doing it,” Evgeni looked desperately at me as he tried to feed Luka with the syringe.
“Here put your finger like this,” I rearranged his hands so his pinkie was sitting next to the syringe in Luka’s mouth so he would suckle.

Everything was alright for a few seconds before Luka burst out crying.
“I can’t do it,” Evgeni shook his head wanting to hand him over.
“Here,” I took back our tiny boy and while a little soothing he was quiet again.

“Don’t worry babe, you will get it. It takes time,” I felt bad as he sat with his head down.

Evgeni’s POV
I was beginning to doubt my ability to make a good father. I couldn’t even get our son to eat even with Kate’s help, what was I going to do when she wasn’t around.

It was then they we got the best surprise yet. There was a nurse pushing in our other little precious bundle. Seeing her without any tubes or probes made nothing else matter.

“Do you want to feed her?” the nurse must have noticed Kate feeding Luka.
“Go on,” Kate smiled at me, “just how I showed you.” I didn’t have any time to protest as the nurse was putting the delicate girl in my arms.

I sighed giving in. She had the spent the last 3 days with tubes in her nose and machines attached to her the least I could do was TRY and feed her.
“It not going to work,” I put the syringe in her mouth with my pinkie.

At first nothing happened but then she began to suckle and I waited and waited for the screaming and tears, but nothing. She happily sucked down the milk.
“See, told you would get it,” she smiled at me.

“Mummy,” Asher ran from Veronique’s grasp to the bed where he climbed up next to Kate and peered at the little baby in her arms. That there bought a smile back to my face.

“Hey,” Sid smiled as wide as ever as he walked in with Marc behind them.
“What’s got you so happy?” Kate smiled at the enthusiastic captain.
“The parade was awesome, G you missed out.”
“No I didn’t,” I looked down at the little girl continuing to suckle away on her milk, “nothing beat this.”
“Yeah, you’re probably right,” he knelt down next me and looked at the little girl in my arms.
“She’s beautiful,” Sid smiled and ran his finger along her cheek.
“I know, my little princess,” her little eyes opened up and gazed at me.

I could sit and watch her sleep all day if people would let me. But with the well wishers along came them wanting to hold the babies and ultimately taking away my princess.

I sat next to Kate and watched on as our guests all took it in turns to hold the little ones.
“I hold,” Asher looked up at us from his spot in between us.
“Of course sweetie, just wait,” Kate smiled down at him as he wriggled in excitement.

“You wait Marc, Vero is going to be all over you now,” Kate laughed as Flower went bright red.
“I guess they can’t be that bad,” our goalie tilted his head at them in Vero’s arms.

Eventually the twins ended up back with us and resting in Asher’s lap.
“Give them a kiss,” Kate encouraged him as he looked nervous with everyone suddenly paying attention to him.

He placed a little kiss to each of the foreheads. He was so gentle, not because he was scared but just because you could see how much he adored them.

Luka’s tiny hand grabbed onto Asher’s and Asher began laughing. Only something a child would find funny but it bought smiles to everyone else’s face.

I don’t think I had ever felt this happy before. Even winning the Stanley Cup for the first time wasn’t this great. When I eventually retire from hockey and become a sad old man those things will be a thing of the past. But being a father, that will be forever.

*****************************************

“So Ash, how do you like your new brother and sister?” Sid started as we headed outside to the playground.
“They are tiny,” he scrunched up his face as I pulled him from my shoulders and put him on the play equipment, “but cute so we keep them,” he slid down the slide.

“You wait until they start crying all the time.”
“Sid…” I looked at him sternly but it didn’t work.
“All they do is eat, sleep and poo,” Sid continued.
“How you know?” Asher frowned.
“Because, when I was just a little bit older than you my parents had my sister Taylor,” I sat down on the seat and watched on as Sid kept in conversation with the little boy.
“Was she cute like Lacey?”
“I thought she was the cutest thing out…” it was then that I zoned out the conversation. Listening to them talk but not registering what they were saying.

“Come on, I think we go back now… jump,” I encouraged Asher from the swing as he was mid air, “don’t tell mummy about that.”
“I won’t,” he giggled as I dug my fingers into his ribs.
“Good,” I flicked his nose.

“Daddy,” Asher announced from my shoulders and we wondered through the halls.
“We are lost,” Sid frowned.
“No Sid, I am professional, just take long way… watch head,” I told Asher as he had to duck under each doorway we passed.

“Daddy,” he repeated getting impatient.
“Da?” he pulled my head back so he could look at me with a big grin on his face.
“I am thirsty.”
“Café this way don’t worry,” we continued down the hall and around the corner.

“Can we get present?” Asher pointed to the gift shop on the other side of the hall way.
“For who?”
“Twins.”
“Ok.”

He picked out two little teddy bears that he was determined we had to get for them.
“Mummy look,” Asher ran back into the room with the teddies in each hand, “For Luka and Lacey.”
“Aww thank you sweetie they are adorable.”

The only thing my mother told me to be careful of was Asher. She reminded me not to let him feel lonely. If I did I could lose him as fast as I got him. But I wasn’t going to let that happen, he was amazing kid and I loved him all the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think Geno would be the cutest dad in the world like when your walking through the shops and see a cute guy holding a baby and you can't help but be all 'nawwww I want that' :( :P :P :P