I Don't Care What You Are, You'll Always Be Mine

Goodbye?!

Dakotas POV

"I..I think I love you Dakota..." she stuttered. I didn't respond. All I did was stand up and walk away. I didn't go to my room, i left the house, leaving Hailey sitting in my family room all by herself. I would've felt really bad about it, but right now I was in that state of shock where I didn't really register what was going on until I managed to calm down. It wasn't until my phone buzzed that I snapped out of it.
Looking around I saw I was sitting at the park, but not alone. There was a couple, two teenage boys, rolling around in the grass, pecking small kisses on each others lips in between little giggles. A smile spread across my face. Thats what true love is, right there. Then I remembered the text. I whipped my phone out. The text... it was from Hailey... And reading made me want to cry...

"Hey Dakota... I guess you hate me now, so I'm gonna do you a favor. Bye. Thanks for being a good friend.
~Hailey"

What?! What does she mean I hate her?! What does she mean shes going to do me a favor?! What does she mean by BYE?! Finally the unwanted, horrific, terrifying thought. Suicide. I bolted from the bench and to my house, looking around frantically. She wasn't there. So I ran to her house. Hailey was no where to be found. Instead a boy stood on the lawn pacing nervously.
"Okay, I have no idea WHO you are, but you obviously know Hailey! Do you know where she is?!" I started screaming at him, tears streaming down my face. The boy turned, looking extremely pale.

"I wish I knew..." his voice cracked as he fell the ground weeping. "I wish I knew..."

"Can you help me find her then..?" I said softly. The boy looked up and nodded.

"Where do you think she is..." He asked as he stood up.

"The river. Do you know where that is?" I asked as we began running.

"Yeah. I do." He called from behind me, but when i looked back he wasn't there. Somehow he had gotten AHEAD of me. 'how did he do that...' I thought to myself. And only a few minutes later i heard "I FOUND HER!"

I ran over to him, where he was holding an unconcious Hailey.

"Oh my gosh what happened?! Is she alright?!" I began asking frantically.

"Shes fine. Just a little bump on the head." He shrugged. "Must've tripped and hit her head on a rock or something, but she DOES have a good-sized cut on her leg..." I followed his gaze, and sure enough there was a large, open cut on her leg, oozing blood.

"Okay, we need to get her back to my house, now!" I stated clearly and began walking.

"We should hurry... before its too late..." he mumbled that last part. I whirled around.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE?!" I shouted and began messing with my left snakebite. His eyes widened.

"no not like that! I meant me! I have this thing with blood... I can't be around it for a long period of time before I feel 'ill'" He reassurred me.

"Oh... okay, well then yes, lets hurry!" I began running, the boy following, still carrying Hailey, soon reaching my house.

He carefully laid her down on the couch and placed a blanket over her.

"I should go now..." He headed for the front door.

"Wait! I never got your name..." I laughed.

"Oh, right. I'm Frank. And you?"
"I'm Dakota. Thanks again for helping me find her." I smiled and nodded at him. Frank stopped and stared at me.

"Wait, you're Dakota?"
"Yeah... why...?"
"Oh, nothing... its just.. Hailey was talking about you this morning..."

"She was...?"
"yeah. Well, i should ge going now. Nice to finally meet you Dakota." He smiled and waved goodbye.

"Bye Frank. you too." I waved back and shut the door behind him, strolling back to the couch. I sat down on a stool next to Hailey and stared at her. "I'm so sorry Hailey... This is all my fault..." I said softly and leaned in, kissing her softly. But I never did have the best timing for things... because just as I pulled away, her eyes shot open.