Status: Thanks for reading! I wrote this a couple of years ago and am deciding on turning this into a full novel. Any comments greatly appreciated! :)

Moonlight

Field of Thoughts

The amount of one tear drop is about .5 grams and yet I’ve cried so much to create all the oceans of the world. Sitting here in my tree house of mystery I feel safe and only come out of it at night, because the sun hurts my eyes which have been relieved with salt. Sometimes, when there is a full moon out I howl (or more like scream) at the top of my lungs. Nobody hears it though because I’m always covered up by the wolves that seem to be letting out their own frustrations into the world that doesn’t care. I like to be alone and yet I crave attention. I want to be held. I want to feel loved. I want to speak with another human. Here I stay however, trapped in my body doing things I don’t want to do. Feeling things I don’t want to feel. I saw that boy the other night. He was running like a lot of things do at night, running from a predator. He reminded me of a bunny or a deer when he ran. It was very graceful. Maybe I should call him bunny, I contemplated. He stumbled upon my tree house and I still had not left for my nightly frolicking. The moon was out that night too. He came in desperately searching for a place to hide. He found me. I met him with my wide eyed curious gaze. He is beautiful, I thought to myself.

“Oh no, I’m sorry! Please be quiet ok?!” Bunny said as he held his finger too his lips. Those lips are what kept my attention. They were so soft and plump and they glistened in the moonlight, tempting me. They spoke so softly and quivered at the same time. He really intrigued me. Especially since he was so tall like a tree and had curly black hair like the swirls of black the Nightwatcher fish leave behind when they dart from the surface of the Stream of Sorrow.

“Get down please, hurry! He’s coming! If he finds me I’ll be dead!” Bunny whispered in a strained voice. What’s wrong? I’ll help you with whatever you want. Its ok you’re safe. I won’t let anyone hurt you. Who’s looking for you? I coaxed myself with saying this phrase over and over in my head because I didn’t understand what was going on. So I ducked as he commanded and I stayed there crunched up right beside him feeling his warmth and smelling his sweet smell. Little beads of sweat had gathered around his hairline and they glittered in that moonlight. Those beads were so shiny that I was mesmerized by them and then I started to picture them moving into designated positions forming S.O.S. messages. Then he caught me staring at him.

“What?” he whispered. I felt his ice mint breath on my face and it tickled my senses. I replied, “Nothing, I’m just wondering how long we’re going to stay huddled down here like this. Forgive me for asking but what are you running from?”

“You wouldn’t understand, I can’t explain. I guess we could see if he is gone now. I’m sorry. I just… I am scared.”

“Scared?” I asked. “What are you scared of?” I felt like I was interrogating him and pushing him away with the glare he gave me because not only was he trying to say something without speaking, but he was also hurt by some invincible factor I had no idea about.

“SHHHH!” He whispered furiously. The grass outside the window had started to rustle and I didn’t know if it was because of the wind that was unusually cold tonight or because the invincible factor had arrived to its destination. Bunny crawled to a dark corner where the moon had not touched yet this night. The sound of the grass crumpling under pressure made me nervous. Pretty soon there was a shadowy figure blocking my precious moonlight. It stood there at my window scanning my secret place looking for any sign of a familiar presence. After about five minutes of analyzing the tree house the figure left. From that night on I would call the shadowy figure Soul Snatcher.

“Phew, that was close.” Bunny still whispered. Let’s stay here a little while longer just in case he…” I cut him off.

“You mean Soul Snatcher?”

“Soul Snatcher?” He asked with a confused tone.

“Yeah. The Shadowy figure is Soul Snatcher and you’re Bunny.” I said proudly.

Bunny smiled brightly and his teeth were so perfect. Despite the coolness of the wind I felt hot and amazed at how the moonlight seemed to be his guardian angel amplifying every awesome aspect of his body. The wind began to pick up and I had the sudden urge to go to my Field of Thought.

“Hey. If you’re not too busy do you want to accompany me to my special spot out here?” I asked.

“Sure. Anywhere far from here is a good idea.” Bunny remarked with a sly grin.

I considered this my first date and everything is going great besides the whole Soul Snatcher incident. When we got there Bunny gasped because the Field of Thought was so enormous and spanned as far as the eye could see that Bunny lost his balance and sat down quickly before his head rush had swept him to his fate with the ground.

“I love this night. It’s so beautiful out and everything seems to be more alive out tonight than normally. I think it has something to do with you.” I can’t believe I just said that! What is wrong with me?! He’s totally going to freak out and tell everybody all my secrets!

“Nah, I think it’s because the lovely moon is out and it matches the beautiful shape of your eyes.”

What did he just say? Did he just say what I think he said? Hmmm, maybe he likes me…

“Well” I said clearing my throat, “I’m glad you’re here with me tonight and I’m glad you’re sitting here talking to me. I’m glad that you feel the way that I do for you after all these times and I’m glad I’m the only one for you.”

The sunflowers that came with the beautiful field were swaying in the wind and the stars were gleaming with tender teasing glows. The summer night air was inviting with the sweet smell of jasmine. Fireflies flew all around us like mingling fairies celebrating a balance between good and evil. A shooting star signified hope restoration towards a common goal that we both had. Our eyes met and we went in for the kill.

“You are right” Bunny said. “You are the only one for me.” He leaned forward and initiated contact with my voluptuous lips. I had hoped for this all these few times and now it finally arrived. Wow! No one ever told me it would be this good. I love him! I love him with every inch of my trembling body.
Bunny had such a sweet taste. His velvety smooth lips tingled mine and the whole sensation was comforting. We lingered there a moment just before we parted our lips from each others. For once I actually felt like I was important, like I had meaning to my life. I was taken away from my world of hurt and guided to a new world of pain, a pain for him. It starts in my stomach and then it travels up to my chest and squeezes my lungs so that the air inside was forced out into the chilly wind where he would inhale my precious oxygen. It is this moment that I wonder if the rumors are true. I gaze into Bunny’s eyes to be shunned by the murderous vibe his icy blue eyes seem to give off. A cold but wrenching shiver is sent down my spine. Here is where I must end our “perfect” night, for he has told the truth.

“Well I should go. I’m sure I’ll be fine now. There’s no way Soul Snatcher will be here anymore.”

“Go? Go where? Why? We just started to get to know each other and I think we’re working out really well. I’ve been waiting for this for a long, long time. Please don’t go and leave me here all by myself!” I exclaimed.

“It’s ok, it’ll be alright. I will come back for you I just need to make sure I can get home alright. I promise I’ll be right back.” Bunny assured me.
“Ok. Be careful and be quick. I miss you all ready. Bunny?”
“Yes?” He said hesitantly.
“I love you.”
Bunny smiled and drew me close to him from behind and he whispered in my ear.
“I love you too and will always be where you are. You’ve shown me so much now let me show you something. It’s a surprise though.” Bunny replied.

With that we said our goodbyes for now and go our separate ways. Bunny turned to the River of Sorrow and his scent led a trail right behind him to my nose as if I was holding him by an invisible leash. I went to my tree house of mystery. My thoughts of sugar coated feelings for him and tomorrow, tell me something isn’t right. The wolves were very quiet tonight and now suddenly they began howl. We communicate to each other so they must have experienced a loss tonight. With this notion I must turn and head to the River of Sorrow.

A single dandelion sticks out in my path begging for the inner child to reach down and make a wish. I pick it ever so carefully because with one slight flick of the wrist, my chances of the wish can be blown away in the chilling wind. As I neared the hill an old willow tree with leaves seemed to call to me. The rough feel of the bark leads me to a sight of him and her.

What is he doing? My precious Bunny! Who is that stupid blonde?! I thought he loved me!! He took her too our spot. I shared that with him in confidence that he would only be with me especially in such a secluded area where my soul can come out and play.

Deceiving whispers enter the now dead air. A world once filled with life now stopped still due to my torment. The moon is clouded by thick grey clouds and the wolves start to howl again. The cool temperature then changed to intense cold air, to the point where I could see my breath when I breathed. Bunny snuggled up close to her and that blood drinking wench wrapped her arms around him, gave him the helpless look, and eased him to her mouth. At that moment I clench my fists in an automatic frenzy and sharp metal bites of pain ambush my heart, leading the carnival of happiness to explode into a vengeful pack of spirit capturing demons. Composing myself temporarily just enough to function and to carry out my newly awakened feelings I spin around to trace back my steps to the tree house of mystery.

Crying savagely now I stumbled through those trees to enforce my code of action. I loved him! How could he do this to me? Of all people why her? Why me? Control yourself kitt control yourself. He will pay. They always pay. They never learn. Do they think I’m stupid or something? Must carry out…

As I passed the River of Sorrow I spotted the remnants of my dandelion particles. They were still floating down to the ground but their purpose in life was not to fulfill my dreams but to provide sustenance for those Nightwatcher fish. My hopes are eaten in one simple act and it is in this that I realized what I must do. I must walk on betrayal and open the door to my next phase in life, the phase that would ultimately be my last. This is the phase that would mark my presence here in my history as a remarkable, brilliant, and inspirational role model for all those who have been wronged. Here on my territory is where everyone will fall.