Status: On hold

Bells Ringing in the Summer Haze

Four.

Val had Nora looking at cowboy boots, a tradition that the girls in the Hughes’ family had on the wedding date. Since she was getting married in the barn, they thought it would be even more perfect.
Nora had planned to have an engraving on the bottom as part as her gift to Val. She had the note written and now she just had to pick out the boots for all the girls.

She found a dark brown pair she thought would go well with Val’s dress and the yellow color palette.

Her phone sidetracked her and digging around for it, she found it and caught it before it sent to voicemail.

“Hello?”

“Hughes, I need your help. And since I picked you up the other night, you owe me.”

“Who is this?” Nora asked then looked at the screen at an unknown number.

“It’s Isaac, you didn’t save my number by now? I’m hurt.” She rolled her eyes, picked up the pair of boots and started towards the register.

“What do you want? I’m busy.”

“Yeah well so was I the other night, I need you to help me pick Brian’s gift.”

“Hold on,” She smiled at the clerk, placed her phone onto the counter, and held out the boots. “I need these in two size sixes, a five, and two sevens please.” He nodded and began ringing up the purchase.

“Hello?” She looked down at the phone after hearing the yelling. Rolling her eyes, she picked up the phone.

“What now?” She handed the cashier the credit card Valerie opened for the wedding and signed the slip. Taking the bags she smiled and waved.

“I said I need your help picking out a gift. Val is busy, and I know you know what to get him.”

Unlocking her car, she slid the bags onto the floor behind the front seat. “Where should I meet you?”

------

“What about golf clubs?” Nora asked as she forked a piece of lettuce and plopping it into her mouth.

“He has everything he needs, this is impossible.” Isaac mumbled through a mouthful of hamburger.

“First of all, eww, it’s called keep your mouth shut while eating. Second nothing is impossible.” Nora sat eating and looking around the restaurant. They were seated outdoors and the middle of lunch hour had the place packed.

“How did you know about this place? It’s good, I’ve never been here.”

“My studio is down the street,” He smiled and pushed his black Oakley’s up his face. “I eat here all the time.”

“Oh yeah, I knew your studio was around here.” He nodded and sipped his soda.

“How did your meeting go?” He asked her while she continued eating.

“I got the building, I am starting construction but it’s the biggest pain in the ass.”

“I know that feeling, took a month longer than scheduled for my studio to open.”

Nora’s eyes widened. “You built it?” He nodded and popped a fry into his mouth. “I never knew that.”

“Yeah, it’s my pride and joy.”

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but, can’t you like make your own music from home now?”

He put down his burger, wiped his chin and fingers and laced his fingers together on top of the table.

“Yes you can, but it’s not the same. It really isn’t. You have the instruments, but they aren’t the same quality.” He nodded and took a bite. “Come by sometime and I’ll show you.”

------

Nora sat with Valerie, Claire and Rachel as Brianna tried on her bridesmaid dress. Claire and Rachel had been friends with Valerie since high school, and Brianna was her roommate all through college.

Brianna had long brown hair, which went to her mid bag, her curly hair made Nora envious. She’s always wanted curly hair, and her Valerie could never make the curls last in her hair when they did curl it.

“What do you think?” Brianna asked stepping out. All the girls had dark purple dresses. Nora’s was strapless, and ended at her knees. The bridesmaids all had one-shoulder dresses that ended at their knees.

“Looks really good,” Val said as she smiled. “I’m glad they look good on everyone. Thank you Nora for finding beautiful dresses, I would never let you guys wear ugly dresses.”

Nora smiled and glanced at her watch, the girls had been at the dress fitting for an hour, and she was ready to call it a day. After lunch with Isaac she had to meet George to go over the fitting rooms.

“I heard you had a lunch date with the best man,” Val said as she down on the couch next to Nora.

“It wasn’t a date, you were busy and he needed help.” She winked and nodded. “You weren’t busy were you?” She shrugged and got up to go look at jewelry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone, thank you for reading the story :)

I hope you like it, please let me know of any feedback you might have!