Rebel Yell

My family

I race along the busy street darting in and out the crowd’s tears dripping down my cheeks falling to the grey pavement below. I suddenly see the little café Ashley took me to the first day we met. I halt at the door just staring in remembering the happy memories. I open the glass door slowly walking wobbling from exhaustion and fear. Suddenly everything vanishes into darkness I can feel my knee letting go, my body crashing towards the hard cold ground with a thud. “Ashley I need you…” I whisper before the dark captures me.

*Ashley’s POV*

“You’re a fuckin’ idiot!” I roar furiously at Jake who had now come through to the lounge area. CC sat there shaking his head like a disappointed father, Andy’s mouth hung open while the rest look frozen to the spot. They’ve never seen me angry before in all my time with them I’m not an angry guy normally. Something about her made me protective as hell. “Don’t you realize what you’ve done?” I scream at him while he stood there like a deer in headlights the idiot I thought angrily to myself. “No.” he mumbles unsure of himself. “She starves herself, carves words into her perfect skin. She’d only just started eating again she probably won’t touch another bite of food now, that’s if we even find her!” I bellow at him boy I was fuming. We will find her won’t we? Worry invades my angry head. What if we don’t, what if we never find her? At that point my heart shatters tears dampening my face. Damn I’m crying. I never cry in front of anyone.

I charge past Jake sending him hurling into the wall. I storm out the bus door gazing around at the busy street. Just then an ambulance whizzes past sirens on full blast. What if she’s hurt? I’ll kill him if she is I thought to myself. “I’m coming Scar, I’m coming.” I mutter to myself as I run at full speed down the busy street my feet pounding the pavement. I dart in and out of couples holding hands, chatting. Normal couples. That’s what I want with you Scar, all I want I sigh heavily as I reach the café I took her on the first day we met. She loved it there. I notice the ambulance pulls up outside the paramedics run inside in a hurry nearly knocking people flying on the way. I slowly walk up to the cafe window looking inside to see a pretty girl lying on the floor motionless and pale her golden locks sprawled out on the floor. Golden locks like Scar I remember. “Scar!” I nearly scream frightening the life out of people on the pavement next to me I dash into the café running over to her.

“Excuse me, do you know her?” the female paramedic inquires with a friendly smile. “Yes, I do I’m her boyfriend.” I quickly reply worry racking my brains. “What’s wrong with her? Is she going to be okay?” I babble on in desperation trying to get some answers about my Scar. “We’re guessing she’s just passed out, though we have to find out why.” The female paramedic explains while the other carry’s out a blood sugar test on Scar. “We’ll take her to the hospital just to keep an eye on her.” The male paramedic carries on. “Okay, can I go with her?” I ask practically beg I don’t want to leave her not now she looks so pale and helpless. “As long as it’s just you yes, do you know her name?” The female paramedic turns round giving me a look of her name badge which read Lindsey. “Scarlett, I’m afraid I don’t know her last name.” I almost whisper the last bit the truth is I didn’t know much about her. I just knew I’ve never felt so strongly about anything I all my twenty eight years.

A short drive in the ambulance later Scar and I were in the hospital. She was still very woozy but awake which was a relief she looks a little less ghostly now too. “Feeling better?” I ask her gently while playing with her hair as she sprawls out in the hospital bed. “A little.” She croaks back as I pass her a glass of water. She drinks a little before passing it back. I shook my head at her as she stares at me with her angelic little face. “You don’t how precious you are to me; I don’t what I’d do if I lost you.” I mumble the last bit looking down at my skinny ripped jeans tears filling my eyes. “You won’t Ash, you won’t.” she reassures while stroking my cheek gently. She removes her and shuffles over to the far side of the bed I raise my eye brows at her. “What are you doing?” I chuckle in confusion. “Making room for you silly.” She spoke softly holding her arms for a hug. I laugh and climb into bed with her holding her close to me burying my face in her hair.

*Scar’s POV*

I snuggle up into the warmth of his chest as he plays gently with my hair. We stay like that until the nurse walks in I hear her softly giggle. “Two patients today, eh?” “We’d thought we’d make your job more interesting.” Ashley chuckles. She takes my blood pressure and temperature “You two are free to go.” She smiles before walking off. “Come on then you.” Ashley sits up pulling me up with him.

We walk out the hospital hand in hand to see the bus parked outside Ashley had texted Andy earlier in the day telling him what was going on. They must of found their way here and were waiting for us. My nerves start kicking in as we drew closer and closer to the bus. Does Jake hate me? Will they all hate me? I’m so stupid. Ashley opens the door holding it for me as I climb the stairs unsteadily my knees were shaking with nerves. The familiar nausea whooshes through my unsettled stomach. “Scar!” CC chips standing at the top of the stairs pulling me into a tight hug. Andy, Jinxx and Ashley quickly join in while Jake sits on the couch awkwardly twirling his thumbs. “Come on Jakey, join us!” Andy whines demandingly while shuffling his feet. Jake heavily sighs removing himself from the sofa to join us.

The others walk off going to do different things Jinxx went to call Sammi, Andy was watching the newest batman film while CC groans trying to listen to his music over Andy’s fanboying. Ella was in the bathroom having a shower. Leaving me and Ashley awkwardly standing there with Jake I look down at the ground feeling anxious. “I’m really sorry Scar, I feel really guilty but I didn’t know I promise I’ll try my best to make it up to you.” Jake babbles sadness filling his voice. I stood there frozen they know, they know my secret. I told Ashley I thought that’s as far it would go now everyone knows. Panic searing through my body. “How could you tell them Ashley? It’s personal my secret…ours.” I glare at him tears filling up my eyes. “I didn’t have much choice Scar.” He whimpers looking at me with a worried expression.

I sigh heavily and walk off towards the small kitchenette switching the hob on and making spaghetti bolognese. Ashley shuffle through the door a few moments later sniffing the air like a puppy looking for food. “I’m making spaghetti Bolognese there’s enough for everyone if they want it.” I state smiling I used to really enjoy cooking it’s the one thing I miss about food. “You can cook? Are you going to eat?” he looks at me with a mixture of shock and happiness on his face as he walks over to me wrapping his arms around my waist as I cook. “Yeah, I used to love cooking before this much like you and music I guess,” I turn around in his arms smiling at him to see him grinning like a looney “Yes, I’m eating for you.” I sigh pecking him on the lips. He may have told them but he’s just looking out for me I remind myself. He kisses me gently I kiss him back we stand there wrapped in each other arms until Jake walk in “Uhm, there’s food that will soon to be burning in here!” Jake speaks urgently. Damn the food we both break away taking the now finished food of the hob and serve it up together before calling the others.

“Holy crap, this is good.” Ashley manages to say with his mouthful. “Really?” I ask unsure of myself. “Yeah.” The rest of the boys nod and Ella reassure making me blush. “This is like food heaven!” CC mumbles looking up at the roof of the bus like he’s thanking the food god before carrying on eating making us all laugh. “Thanks guys.” I smile then tuck into my food while cuddled up to Ashley. This is what a true family feels like; this is my family I thought quietly to myself. You were never a family to me I reflect remembering my biological family. Never.