Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

36

Isaac pulled the frozen Taylor into his arms, hugging him for all he was worth as they both collapsed to their knees. Time stood still for a moment as lights flashed around them and police officers ran in all directions.
“It’s over, Tay. It’s over,” he told him as he felt his brother shake.
Taylor didn’t respond, so Isaac just held him. They had a few moments before an officer stopped by them and put a hand on Taylor’s shoulder.
“Are you boys alright?” he asked.
Isaac let Taylor go, seeing for the first time the tears in his eyes.
“Tay?”
Taylor just nodded, before looking up at the officer.
“Hey, you got anything that can get these off?” Isaac asked him, lifting Taylor’s wrist.
“I’ll find something. Be right back.”
As he walked away Taylor’s eyes followed, before Isaac took his head in his hands and turned him back to face him.
“Don’t look that way. You’ve seen enough,” he insisted.
“Is he…?” Taylor’s voice croaked.
“He’s gone, Tay,” Isaac assured.
Taylor closed his eyes in relief, before wiping his eyes clear.
“Thank you,” he whispered.
“For what?” Isaac looked confused.
“For being here,” Taylor’s eyes opened, “it helped.”
“I dunno, it looked like you had everything under control,” Isaac managed a small smile.
“I didn’t, until that last moment,” Taylor admitted, “I wasn’t… expecting to make it.”
“Well I’m glad you did,” Isaac tried not to show how those last words affected him.
They looked up as the officer returned with a pair of bolt cutters. Taylor held his wrists out so that he could cut the chain of the handcuffs, and as soon as he did he hugged Isaac back for the first time.
“Thanks,” Isaac looked up.
“No problem. When you boys are ready we can take you back to the station.”
“Can we go to the hospital first?” Isaac asked.
“Zac,” Taylor realised breathlessly.
The officer nodded, before bending down to get a better look at Taylor.
“Do you need medical attention? We’d like to have you checked over all the same. And we’ll need your clothes to take into evidence.”
Taylor considered for a moment and nodded.
“Can it wait until we get to the hospital?” he asked, “I really need to see my brother.”
“If you’re okay to wait, we should be too,” the officer smiled, before indicating for Taylor to give him his hand.
Taylor did so, and the officer worked at getting the cuffs off his wrists. Once they were free Taylor zipped the jacket he wore up further and hugged himself as he stayed kneeling.
“Are you ready to go?” Isaac asked him.
Taylor just nodded, before Isaac stood and helped him up. The officer led them to one of the non-damaged patrol cars and opened the back door for them as Isaac skirted his brother around the body on the ground. Taylor gave him a weary glance just as someone covered it with a jacket.