‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

99

Zac watched the house like a hawk. He hadn’t seen anyone in a long time, and the utter silence was worrying.
It wasn’t until it got to the point where he was beginning to wonder if he’d imagined the whole thing that he heard a rumble in the distance. A moment later a SWAT car appeared, pulling to an abrupt halt in one of the stable yards. As it came to rest he looked up in time to see multiple men leaving the house – some with prisoners in handcuffs. Suddenly breathing easier, he leant back against the pole again.
“About time,” he muttered to himself.
The SWAT team barked orders at each other, and from what little he could overhear Zac assumed it was over. From the back of the vehicle four more uniformed officers sprung and two more vehicles pulled up, and one of them immediately made their way over to Zac. When he saw the bolt cutters in his hand he groaned appreciatively.
“Thank you,” he said as soon as the man was in ear shot.
He stepped around behind Zac and instantly got to work. As soon as his hands were free Zac rubbed the dried blood from his face.
“Step over here, son,” the man indicated the back of the truck.
Zac obliged as he rubbed his wrists.
“Where are my brothers?” he asked as he made it, sitting in the back as he was handed a bottle of water.
“Isaac’s on his way now,” his escort confirmed with a glance upward.
Zac instantly stood up again, stepping around the door to make sure he was right. He soon spotted Isaac being led down from the stables looking no worse for wear.
“Ike!” he waved him over.
“What happened to you?” Isaac frowned when he saw the marks still on Zac’s face.
“Welcoming committee. They were all hands,” Zac winced, “or… fists, rather.”
“I get it,” Isaac nodded as he joined him in the back of the van.
“Where’s Tay?” Zac frowned.
“I told them where he was,” Isaac shrugged, “they must be finding him about now.”
Zac got up again and stepped around the door, keeping an eye on the house. Two of the SWAT members standing by them put fingers to their ears as they heard a transmission come through.
“Isaac?” one of them got his attention, “where did you say Taylor was?”
“The cellar,” Isaac frowned, standing up again, “why?”
“The cellar. Yes,” the man relayed into his radio.
There was a pause.
“What’s going on?” Zac looked between them.
“He’s not there,” the second man locked eyes with Isaac.
“Excuse me?” Isaac’s eyebrows rose, “it wasn’t even all that long ago that he was taken there!”
“Maybe they changed their mind,” Zac shook his head, “he can’t be too hard to find in this place, surely?”
“We’ve secured the entire building and accounted for everyone inside. He’s just not here,” the officer looked confused.
“How does that make sense?” Isaac looked to Zac in frustration, “it was literally an hour ago!”
“Where could he have even gone?” Zac frowned, “and how? How could he have gone?!”