Status: -on hold, sorry-

Shadowed Destinies

PROLOUGE

I saw my first death when I was twelve years old. I was out to town with my family, in Noxton. We were riding it the carriage with Anna and Momma when there was a commotion outside. The driver had to stop because there was a crowd on the street that wouldn’t move aside for us. Momma left the carriage and told me and Ann to stay inside. Instead of listening to her, I peeked out of the door and told Ann to stay put.

I was in a pretty powder blue dress with white frills and my black hair was tied in a braid down my back. We were headed to garden party at the Fitch’s residence in the upper part of town and I was itching to do something fun after the long carriage ride. Momma was speaking with the driver, so I made sure to stay out of both their sights as I wandered into the crowd.

There was a small platform that rose several feet above the crowds and two men stood upon it. There was an official looking man dressed in a black suit with a top hat that made his head look small. There was also another intriguing man dressed in full black, even a hood. I wandered closer, drawn to the platform until I was at the front, my green eyes gazing up at the unfamiliar scene. Then I heard the crowd get quieter as two men slowly walked up onto the platform with grim expressions. One was filthy, he was covered in smudges of mud and grime and his clothes were in dire need of replacing. The man that led him up was dressed like a normal man, with a vest over a dark shirt and pants. They stopped beneath the rope and the proper man checked his pocket watch, nodding to the top hat man who in turned nodded to the man dressed in black. He walked to the front of the platform and gazed across the audience. He then addressed them, his voice dark and serious, much like his outfit, “Ladies in gentlemen, we are gathered here today to witness the execution of James Patrick Fitzgerald, known also as Roach, for the assassination of Sheriff Thomas Quarry, Priest Marley Paris Kingsley and other countless citizens of Noxton. According to your sentence, you shall have your head removed from your body and” He turned to the icky man, and I assumed that was James or… Roach as apparently he was known. “Do you have any last words?”

The entire crowd went silent as the man was able to look upon them as they waited for him to speak, his looked tired and hoarse and his lips were dry. However, before he could speak a whizzing sound erupted and the top hat man fell to his knees, clutching a stick that stuck from his chest; an arrow. Roach grabbed the keys that hung from the top hat man’s belt and quickly, his chains fell. The crowd panicked and I felt someone push me over by accident. Everyone was running from the scene but I was much too curious. I crawled back to the platform and pushed my back against it, getting out of the crowd.

Soon the courtyard was clear except for one man. He was dressed in leather and black, a bow and quiver of arrows on his back as well as a sword on his side. He looked at me and I looked back with big, curious eyes. He approached me and for a moment I was frightened, he was tall and loomed over me like the tall buildings of the city. But, he said nothing, and simply jumped onto the platform, “Roach. Glad to see you, my friend.”

Suddenly, Quincy the driver was beside me, “Quiet, young mistress. I can get you out of here.” He said, then grabbed my wrist and pulled me from the yard.

I will never forget that day.