‹ Prequel: Love on Top
Sequel: (You Drive Me) Crazy

Be With You

Check on It

If you got it, flaunt it, boy I know you want it. While I turn around you watch me check up on it. Oohhh you watchin me shake it, I see it in ya face. Ya can't take it, it's blazin, you watch me in amazement. You can look at it, as long as you don't grab it. If you don't go braggin, I'ma let you have it. You think that I'm teasin, but I ain't got no reason. I'm sure that I can please ya, but first I gotta read you.

~*~*~


“Brayden!” Jordyn called out happily, crossing the crowded club to reach her sister. They hugged and Jordyn led her back to the table where Quinn and Piper sat. They each hugged Brayden and Jordyn introduced the guys at the table with them.“This is Piper’s boyfriend, Zac."

"Boyfriend?" Brayden asked Piper. Piper blushed. "Since when?"

"Two months ago," Piper answered.

"For real?! Go Piper!" Zac kissed her and shook hands with Brayden.

"It's nice to meet you," he said.

"Likewise," Brayden replied with a smile. She turned expectantly to Quinn, who was wrapped up in Zach. Jordyn rolled her eyes.

"That is Quinn’s boyfriend, also Zach but we call him Chuckie to avoid confusion.” They pulled apart with sly grins.

"I see why I haven't heard much from you the last few months," Brayden joked. "Been occupied?"

"Very," Quinn agreed with a wink.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you, Brayden," Zach said. She smiled at him and turned to the third man at the table.

“This is Stuart,” Jordyn continued with a smile. “We’ve been seeing each other,” she whispered to her.

“Nice to meet you, Stuart,” Brayden said, shaking the man's hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Brayden. Jordyn has been telling me about you all week. You barrel race?”

Brayden grinned. “Yes, I’m a part of the women's professional rodeo association.”

“I showed him some of your best stuff on youtube,” Jordyn said.

“What do you do, Stuart?”

“Banking,” he answered.

“Boring,” Brayden thought to herself. She smiled politely though and nodded. She noticed Quinn’s face light up in a smile as she stood, waving her arms like crazy over her head.

“What is she doing?” Brayden asked Jordyn. She looked over at Quinn and followed her eyes.

“Oh, the rest of the guys are here,” Jordyn answered.

“What guys?” Brayden asked.

“Just friends of Zac and Chuckie’s,” Jordyn replied. “Let’s dance, Stuart,” Jordyn said, taking his hand and leading him away before the other men reached them.

“Bray, come meet the guys!” Quinn called out. Brayden watched her sister hurry away and turned to Quinn. She pulled her to the side.

“Why is she in such a hurry to run away?”

Quinn looked around Brayden at Jordyn’s retreating figure. “Justin.”

“Who is Justin?” Quinn looked around the group of guys before spotting the blonde. “Peters!” she yelled. He turned and smiled, and walked towards Quinn.

“Dear God he is cute. Why is Jordyn with Stuart?” Brayden whispered furiously.

“Long story,” Quinn answered. “But he likes your sister, just doesn’t want to admit it.”

“You know this how?”

“Magic.” She grinned at Justin as he reached them and hugged him. “This is Jordyn’s sister, Brayden.”

“Its nice to meet you, Brayden. Jordyn mentioned you’d be in town.”

“Oh? You're the second guy tonight to tell me that.”

“Really?”

“Really. Stuart told me he’s heard about me all week.”

Justin smirked. “I’ve been hearing about this visit for the last month.”

“Then why is she here with someone else?” Quinn giggled and grabbed Brayden’s arm, steering her around Justin to introduce her to the others. Justin frowned and walked to the bar. He leaned back against it and searched for Jordyn in the crowd. He finally spotted her on the far edge of the dance floor, tightly wrapped around Stuart. Quinn appeared at his side, leaning close to him. She held his arm to steady herself.

“How much have you had to drink?” Justin asked her.

“Enough. I think Chuckie is trying to get me drunk to take advantage of me,” she giggled.

“He doesn't have to try to take advantage of you. You just let him.”

“Oh yeah. I forget,” she giggled again, burying her face into his neck. “You smell pretty.”

“Thanks, Quinn.”

“You’re welcome. Jordyn likes you.”

“What?”

“She likes you, silly goalie. And you like her.”

“I don’t-”

“Yes you do. I can tell when you look at her. I can tell because you’ve been over here watching her for like five minutes with a sad face.”

“We’re just friends.”

“With benefits, yeah, I know. But you’re jealous of Stuart and she’s mad because you acted like you weren’t.”

“Quinn, you’re drunk.”

“I’m not drunk,” she protested. She teetered on her heels as she said it and Justin grabbed her around the waist, holding her against him. “Come on, let’s dance. You’ve already got me in your arms,” she teased. He grinned at her and followed her out to the dance floor, letting her steer them right over to Jordyn and Stuart.

“Hey! I know you,” Quinn said, bumping Jordyn’s hip with her own.

“Are you drunk?”

“Maybe. Come buy me a drink, Stuart. You look like you need one and I know I do.” Quinn grabbed his arm and she dragged him away, leaving Jordyn with Justin.

“Wanna dance?” Justin asked, holding his hand out to Jordyn as the song changed to a slow one. She nodded slowly and stepped towards him. “What do you see in that guy anyways? He’s stuffy.”

“He’s not stuffy. He’s perfectly nice.”

“Nice?”

“Nice.”

“What? I’m not nice?”

“You’re nice. He’s nicer.”

“I doubt that.” He pulled Jordyn in close and kissed her softly. “I am very nice.”

“Peters,” she sighed, pushing back from him.

“What?”

“What are we even doing?”

“Having fun,” he shrugged.

“I don’t want fun. I want something real. And you’re not interested in that. Which is fine. We’re friends but I’m not sleeping with you anymore and I'm not about to start that back up now.” She turned and walked away from him.

“That was not cool,” Jordyn said in Quinn’s ear. She smiled sweetly.

“Don’t know what you mean,” Quinn giggled, leaning back against Zach. Jordyn rolled her eyes and walked over to Stuart.

“Having fun?”

“Your friends are...different,” he replied.

“They’re loud.”

“Yes.”

Jordyn looked around. “Have you seen my sister?” Stuart shook his head. “Piper!” Jordyn yelled. Piper pulled away from Zac and glanced over her shoulder at Jordyn.

“Yes?”

“Do you know where Brayden is?”

“Um, last I saw her she went with Riley to the bar.”

“Riley Nash?”

“Yes.”

“Does she know that he’s a hockey player?”

“Hell no!” Quinn burst out, joining the conversation. “We didn’t tell her that. That’s what makes it so much fun.” She stood up on her chair and Zach swore, standing up and holding Quinn in place so she wouldn’t fall. “Found her!” she shouted triumphantly. “She is totally sucking face with Nash on the dance floor! Oh wait, they’re coming back this way. Everyone act natural!” She scrambled down from her perch and threw her arms around Zach and proceeded to kiss him.

“Jordyn!” Brayden squealed, throwing her arms around her sister. “Oh my God! Your friends are fucking hot.” Riley pulled her away and into his arms, kissing her neck. “Why are you all so hot?” Brayden demanded.

Quinn dissolved into hysterical giggles, leaning the weight of her body into Zach. “Tell her,” she said to Zach. “Tell her now.”

“Tell me what?” Brayden asked.

“We play hockey,” Zach stated.

“Hockey? You’re hockey players?” Zach nodded and she turned to Riley. “You play hockey?”

Riley nodded. “I play hockey,” he confirmed.

“Sweet baby jesus laying in the tiny manger! This is what I’ve been missing out on with you three? These are hockey players? Shit! I am sorry that I haven’t gone to a game with you yet.” She turned and pulled Riley away with her, pushing him into a wall and kissing him senseless.

A loud shout went through their group as the guys all began looking at their phones. Quinn hopped from foot to foot. “What? What are you all so excited about?” She leaned over Zach’s arm, peering at his phone. “Shit! For real?” She looked to him for confirmation and he picked her up, twirling her in a circle before kissing her.

“What is going on?” Jordyn demanded.

Justin came up behind her and hugged her to him. He smirked at Stuart. “Lockout’s over,” he announced.

“Oh my God!” Quinn shouted excitedly. “Oh my god!”

“What?” Jordyn asked her.

“Shut up this means Muse is coming back! Yesssss!” She did a little happy dance, clapping her hands and turning in a circle.

“Hello! Standing right here,” Zach said. “Remember me, your boyfriend?”

“Aw, baby. Don’t be jealous. I could never forget your pretty ass.” The guys laughed as Zach pulled her to him.

Jordyn looked back at Justin. “Guess this means you’ll be going to Raleigh.”

He shrugged. “Maybe. Dan’s a good goalie too. Could be either one of us.”

The next day after practice, Justin and Dan walked to a nearby restaurant to grab lunch. After they ordered, they sat down to wait. Talk quickly turned to the end of the lockout. “Either way, I’m happy,” Dan said. “Whether its you or me, its all good.”

“Yeah,” Justin agreed. “We should know in the next day or two.” Their food arrived and they chatted over their meal.

“So what’s the deal with you and Jordyn?” Dan asked.

Justin swallowed the food he was chewing and looked at Dan. “What are you talking about?”

“I’ve seen the way you look at her when you think no one is watching. Why aren’t you two together? Her friends are dating your teammates so why not you?”

“We’re just friends.”

“You know I don’t believe that, right?”

“Its true though.”

“If you get the call to Raleigh, what are you going to miss most about Charlotte?” Dan asked.

Without hesitation, Justin answered. “Jordyn.” Dan looked at him. “Shit,” he muttered. “She’s seeing this guy, Stuart.”

“That is the dumbest name I’ve ever heard.”

Justin laughed. “Yeah, its pretty dumb.”

“You need to talk to her. Tell her how you feel.”

“We agreed it was casual, no strings.”

“Do you want casual, no strings?”

Justin sighed. “I don’t know.”

“You better figure it out before you lose her all together.”

At Scrumptious Nibble, Zach and Quinn baked in the kitchen and Piper had gone to lunch with Dalpe. Jordyn sat at the counter, helping the lunchtime customers that came in for a treat. When the bell chimed, she looked up and smiled at Stuart.

“Hey,” Jordyn said, coming round to greet him with a kiss. “How are you?”

“Better now,” he replied, as he hugged her. “What are you doing tomorrow night?”

“Uh, hockey game with the girls.”

“Can you skip it, for me? I got invited to this really important work dinner and I’d like to take you with me.”

“Okay, sure. I would really like that.”

“Great. I’ll pick you up at 6.” Jordyn nodded and he kissed her. “Gotta get back to work. I’ll call you later.” The bell chimed again and Justin walked in. The two men exchanged glares and Justin held the door open for Stuart as he passed. He smirked at him.

“What do you want?” Jordyn asked when Justin let the door close behind him.

Justin shrugged. “Dunno. Was in the neighborhood, thought I’d stop by.”

“Zach’s helping Quinn in the back if you want to assist them.” He nodded and went through the doors to the kitchen, almost immediately stepping back out to join Jordyn.

“They’re making out on the counter. I'm pretty sure that is not sanitary. Are they always making out?”

Jordyn laughed. “Yes, they are always making out.” Justin leaned against the counter opposite Jordyn.

“So tomorrow?”

“Yes?”

“You’re coming, right?”

“Actually, no. I’m going out with Stuart.”

“Oh.”

“Did you get the call to Raleigh?”

“Don’t know yet. We’re supposed to find out tomorrow.”

“Well, good luck, I guess. Not sure exactly what I'm supposed to say.”

“Say you’ll be at the game; it might be my last.”

“Sorry; I have plans.”

He reached out and grabbed Jordyn’s hand. “I really want you there.”

“Justin...”

“Jordyn, please come.”

“I can’t. I have plans.”

He sighed and dropped her hand. “I’ll see you around,” he said, heading for the door. He walked out with a second look back.

Quinn pounced on Jordyn as soon as they were home for the night. “You are nuts.”

“What?”

“Justin. He likes you.”

“Not this again.”

“Yes, this again. I can’t believe you aren’t coming tomorrow. What if he goes to Raleigh and you never see him again?”

“It is what it is.”

“Jordyn!”

“What, Quinn? Justin and I aren’t like you and Chuckie. We’re not like Dalps and Piper. We never were and we never will be.”

“Says who? You’re not giving this a chance.”

“He made it clear that he wasn't looking to get attached.”

“Maybe not then but he is now.”

“Doesn’t matter now. I have Stuart.”

“Stuart is a tool. He’s boring and pretentious and you have nothing in common with him. You’ve been seeing him for two months and you haven’t slept with him. And you know why? Because you aren’t attracted to him like you are to Justin.”

The Checkers won the next night, Piper and Quinn cheering the boys on. Jordyn had gone to dinner with Stuart and was bored out of her mind. She had tried to joke and join the conversation but she was completely out of place. As they walked to his car, Jordyn stopped Stuart. He turned to face her expectantly.

“This isn’t working,” she said.

“This?”

“Us. Me and you. I’m not attracted to you. I want to be but I’m not.”

“This is about that hockey player.”

“No. Well, yes. I’m sorry but yes, its about him.” He shook his head.

“Whatever.” he stalked away, leaving her standing on the sidewalk.

“Really?” Jordyn muttered to herself. “Fucking asshole.” She turned in the opposite direction and headed towards Whisky River.

“JORDYN!” Quinn yelled. “What are you doing here?”

“Dumped Stuart. Came here. Come on, let’s get a drink. She pulled Quinn towards the bar and they ordered shots.

“Ladies,” a voice came from behind them. “What are we drinking?”

“Lemon drops and buttery nipples,” Jordyn answered as she turned to face the voice. “You buying this round?”

“Sure,” he replied with a smile. He gestured to the bartender who walked over. “One lemon drop, one buttery nipple, and one kamikaze.” He nodded and set about making the drinks, setting them in front of them. He passed money to the bartender and the girls each grabbed their shot, knocking them back. He grabbed his shot and threw it back also, setting the empty glass on the counter. “Now that we’re friends, how about your names? I’m John but everyone calls me Moose.”

“Holy shit. Holy motherfucking shit!” Quinn exclaimed, finally turning to face him. “Oh. My. God.”

“That is not a reaction I get all the time but I’ll take it,” John said with a smile. Quinn clutched her heart.

“Really, Quinn?” Jordyn said, shaking her head. “I’m Jordyn and my friend here is taken so please excuse the way she just looked you over like you were on the menu.”

“What if I liked the way she looked me over like dinner?”

“Your teammate wouldn’t. Oh, and speak of the devil. Hey Chuckie!” Jordyn gave him a quick hug.

“Hey, Jordyn. I thought you had a date?” Zach asked.

Jordyn rolled her eyes. “Not anymore,” she replied.

“I see Quinn met the Moose," Zach teased her. Quinn nodded, smiling away. Zach chuckled and shook his head. “John, this is my girlfriend, Quinn, and now that you’re back, I have officially been bumped as number one in her top five.” Quinn blushed and Zach looped his arm over her shoulders, drawing her close to him. “One kiss,” he whispered in her ear. Her eyes snapped to his.

“The fuck you say?” Quinn said.

“You can have one kiss with him. Might as well complete your ginger trifecta. I know you’re thinking about it.”

She threw her arms around his neck. "You're serious? You're going to let me kiss him?"

"I'm serious. You can kiss him, once. Consider it an early birthday present."

“If there’s an award for best boyfriend ever, you would win it for sure.”

“Yes I know.” She kissed him and gave his arm a squeeze.

“Come on, Moose. We’re dancing,” Quinn said, dragging him out to the dance floor with her.

“You’re pretty brave to let her off with him. You have no idea how much she talked about him last season.”

Zach shrugged. “She’s under my spell and can’t resist me.”

Jordyn chuckled. "Come on; lets dance so we can keep an eye on her. You might trust her but I don’t.”

“All right but be gentle with me; I tweaked my shoulder in the game tonight. Gotta sit out the next week.” They joined Quinn and John on the dance floor. Quinn’s hips shook side to side and he touched her lightly at the hips, respectful of the fact that she had a boyfriend. Quinn turned to face him and pouted.

“You’re no fun,” she said, grabbing his arm and putting it around her and she pushed into him. “Much better,” she teased.

“Your boyfriend is going to kill me.”

“My boyfriend gave me permission."

“Permission?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“For what?”

“For this.” Quinn went on tiptoe and leaned into John, putting her arms around his neck and pulling his face to hers. She kissed him, dragging her tongue along his bottom lip, nipping it gently between her teeth. His lips parted and his tongue snaked into Quinn’s mouth as he pulled her against him, his hold around her waist tightening. His tongue moved like he owned her mouth and she met his teasing caress with her own tongue. “Hot damn,” Quinn murmured as they pulled apart.

“Your boyfriend is crazy,” John said, clutching her to him.

“I know but god do I love him.” She caught sight of Zach and Jordyn dancing nearby and she smiled at him. He grinned back and she mouthed the words I love you to him. “Welcome back to Charlotte, Moose,” Quinn said. She kissed his cheek and patted him on the ass before leaving him standing in the middle of the dance floor as she walked over and stole Zach from Jordyn.

“Looks like you need a dance partner,” Justin said, grabbing Jordyn at the hip and tugging her back to him.

“I was just about to rescue Moose,” Jordyn replied.

“Too bad. I'm the only goalie you need.”

“He could be more bendy than you.”

“Jordyn,” he warned. She rolled her eyes at him and let him put his arms around her as they moved together. After several minutes, he finally spoke. “Dan got the call.”

“I’m sorry, Justin. I know how much you wanted that.”

He shrugged “It’ll be okay. Everything happens for a reason, right?”

“I mean, I guess so.”

“If I were in Raleigh, you would be here. That would make me sad. I'm always sad when you’re not with me.” She looked at him with a stunned expression. “What I'm trying to say is I don't want casual, no strings with you. I want serious, all of the strings and then some with you.”

“You're just saying that because of Stuart.”

“No, I'm saying that because I mean it. Dan asked me yesterday if I got the call, what would I miss most about Charlotte. Do you know what I said?” She shook her head. “You, Jordyn. WIthout even thinking, without hesitation. The thing I’d miss most about Charlotte if I were in Raleigh, hell, if I were anywhere else, is you. So can we cut all the crap and just be together already?”

“I thought we were already together.”

He sighed. “You know what I mean. Officially together.”

She kissed him softly. “I would like that very much.”

“Good.” He hugged her to her and kissed her forehead. “Now, did I really just see Quinn kiss Moose?”

Jordyn chuckled. "Chuckie, god bless his little heart, gave her permission to kiss him, so she'd have her top fve."

"What about Shuggy?"

"He got kicked out the instant Moose got called up." Justin laughed.

"I've never seen Zach happier."

"Funny because I've never seen Quinn happier. They are good together." Justin nodded.

"What about you? Are you happy?"

"Very. You?"

"Much more now," he grinned. Jordyn leaned into him and kissed him. The kiss quickly turned needy and she grinded her hips into his. "Let's get out of here," Justin said.

"Yes please!" Jordyn agreed. With an arm wrapped around her waist, they walked back to their group. Piper was locked in a heated debate with Sorzy, Zac at her side laughing at the two of them. Quinn was sitting in Zach's lap and they were making out like they were the only two people in the bar and everyone ignored them. Riley had his phone out and was texting away furiously. Jordyn walked over to him to grab her purse from the table. Riley looked up at her and smiled.

"You and the goalie good?" She smiled in response. "Your sister is really something," he continued.
"You're talking to Bray?" Riley nodded and held his phone up to her. "She gave you her number?"

"I'm obviously very good in the sack."

"You slept with her?!" He nodded. "She didn't tell me!"

"I'm seeing her next week. When we play in Texas, she's going to come to the game and we're going to go out after."

"You better be good to her and I'll kick your ass," Jordyn warned. Riley laughed.

"I know."

"Ready?" Justin asked, coming up behind her and wrapping an arm around her waist. Jordyn nodded.

"See you later, Nasher!" Jordyn waved to the others and gave Piper a quick hug. She tapped Quinn on the shoulder as they passed and she untangled herself from Zach to peer up at her. Jordyn bent down and hugged her.

"You owe him," she said. "You better be planning something spectacular to make up for him letting you kiss your goalie."

Quinn grinned. "I have some ideas in mind," she replied. "Gonna see what pops up." She wiggled her hips in his lap and Zach groaned, gripping her hips to hold her in place. She smiled at him innocently and Jordyn laughed.

"Be nice," she warned.

"Always."

"See you tomorrow."

"Later!" Justin took Jordyn's hand in his, smiling at her. "Justin!" Quinn called out. He turned to face her. "Be good to my girl." He nodded.

"I plan on it, for a very long time."