Status: In Progress

Between The Lines

Fifteen

The cold wind stung Harper’s face once she stepped out of the warmness of the boy’s hotel, but not as much as Niall’s words had. She’d made a mess of everything. The walk back to her apartment Harper contemplated resigning, but she knew that her mother would be disappointed. This was a huge deal for the company, that’s why Eleanor had entrusted it to her own daughter. As she reached the block that housed her apartment, Harper’s phone began to ring.

“I need to speak with you” Eleanor’s voice was demanding. “Now”.

If her mother needed to see her in person, this couldn’t be good.

The whole elevator ride up to Eleanor’s office, Harper’s mind was reeling. What could possibly be so important, or bad that she needed to speak with her in person? With her heart pounding in her chest, Harper knocked on the door.

“Come in” Her mother’s voice rang.

Eleanor didn’t even wait until Harper had taken her seat to bring up her agenda, she was the type of person who skipped the pleasantries and liked to get straight to the point.

“Why did I have Niall Horan call this morning demanding a new assistant?”

Harper froze; she didn’t expect him to be that angry with her. So angry that he could no longer stand being in the same room as her. She couldn’t tell her mother what had happened, she needed to play it cool.

“Honestly it’s nothing more than a misunderstanding between myself and Niall” Harper even surprised herself with the calmness of her voice. “The boy is a bit hot-headed and we got into a slight disagreement. Let’s not forget that he is a part of One Direction, I presume he’s not used to people disagreeing with him”

Eleanor nodded, seeming to believe Harper’s words. Her expression was much more relaxed now “Well celebrities do tend to have egos, especially men” Harper let out a breath she didn’t realise she’d been holding in, she was in the clear. “Now moving on. As you know tomorrow is the release of the boy’s album. Their schedule is going to be pretty full from here on out”

“I understand”

“Something last minute has come up” Eleanor began “Ellen wants to boys on her show. So next week you’ll all be flying to LA for a few days”

It was bad enough that Harper had to deal with them in a city she knew like the back of her hand, but LA? That was pushing it, especially since the relationship she had with the boys wasn’t at its best right now because of her and Niall.

“That’s wonderful” Harper’s voiced was laced with fake excitement.

“I’ll send you all the details before the week is out” Harper nodded and then left the office; her mother clearly didn’t want to mention the previous nights events. They would have to wait. It was always business before pleasure with Eleanor Quinn.

By the time Harper arrived back to her apartment building, she was emotionally exhausted. She should have just stayed in bed all day. It was when she walked through the lobby did she spot a familiar brunette haired boy sitting comfortably on the plush leather seats near the reception desk.

“Harper!” Harry stood up and engulfed her into a hug the moment he spotted her.

“Harry, what are you doing here?” She asked.

“Sorry, I should have texted you” He told her “I came to apologise for how Niall acted this morning”

“Harry you don’t need to, I’m just as much to blame as he is, if not more”

“He still didn’t need to speak to you so harshly this morning”

“Don’t worry about it, I’m dealing with it” she said with a sigh.

“Well, well, well” Harry smirked “Does the infamous Harper Quinn share the same feelings as Niall?”
“Honestly? I don’t know, but I feel terrible about what happened”

Niall may not have believed her, but she really did. If she could go back and replay last night, she never would have called him in the first place. It was her fault he would never speak to her again.

“Well then how about you and I go get a late lunch and just forget about everything?” Harry suggested, offering his arm to Harper. Letting out a small laugh, Harper linked her arm with his and the pair left the lobby like that together.

Image

When Harry entered the suite he was sharing with his four mates that afternoon, a bright smile was plastered on his face, his famous dimples clearly visible. Having spent the last few hours with Harper, he was in a much better mood. There was something about her, despite her sarcasm and sassy attitude, she was good company. He understood why Niall had fallen for her.

“Have a good afternoon?” Niall was perched on one of the stools in the kitchen; an angry expression matched his bitter tone.

“What’s got your knickers in a knot Horan?” In Harry’s opinion, he was acting like a prat.

“You! Why is it so hard for you to just keep it in your pants Harry? Every single time I fancy a girl, you have to but in and ruin it” Niall had raised his voice enough to get the others attention, they were all poking their heads out from the hallway listening intently to the argument that was happening.

“What are you talking about?” Harry was just as confused as his other band mates.

“This!” Niall slid his phone across the kitchen counter to Harry. Picking it up, Harry stared at the webpage it was open on. It was an online gossip site that was now displaying pictures of Harry and Harper; theirs arms linked, laughing and looking as though they were in fact a couple.

“You actually read this rubbish?”

“It doesn’t matter Harry” Niall told him “You just couldn’t stay away, could you?”

Harry was growing angry at Niall now. They were mates and he was letting a girl come between them, one he only saw as a friend.

“Are you really that daft Niall?” Harry’s voice was now on level with Niall; his temper was now getting the better of him. “You’re the one who bloody shagged her! Not me, so stopping acting like such a twat and get over it” With that Harry stormed out of the room, his bedroom door slamming moments later.

Niall looked at his friends and then got up to leave, he needed to go for a walk and clear his head. Things had gone from bad to worse in less than a day and he felt as though he was suffocating because of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologise for not updating this in so long. I'd written this chapter twice, and both times my computer crashed so I lost everything and then I hit a little bit of writer's block, but now I'm back! I'll try to update regulary, but I've just started university so we'll have to play it by ear.