Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose ten

"Why didn't you tell us?" James asked as I continued to hide my face.

"Because I couldn't. It's a rule in magical families that we cannot reveal ourselves to people who have no magic." I said my voice barely more then a whisper.

"Even if you have none?" John asked.

"Even if I have none." I repeated, "Besides who'd want to be friends with a freak like me when they learned something like this?"

"Well us for one."

I looked up and saw John and James both smiling at me. The one thing I hadn't been worrying about was if they would still like me after they found out. It seemed they did. I wiped the tears from my face and smiled sadly. They stayed for another hour and I told them almost everything that I hadn't told them before. How I felt out of place when my relatives got together and how sometimes I wished I'd been born into a regular family. It felt good to have someone in the house it made up fro the emptiness that now filled it. When I got to the part about my parents and Jas being place under a spell John looked thoughtful while James downed the rest of his tea.

"And you have no idea what's happened to them?" John asked his eyes lightening on my face.

"No." I didn't want to lie but whatever had done this was powerful and I had already gotten them mixed up in too much.

"I see. Well if you need anything you know both of our numbers. Come on James we have to get home or mom will freak." He said standing up and addressing his twin.

"Okay. See you tomorrow Mal. And don't worry I know you'll figure something out. You're amazing when it comes to these things." James said patting me on the head as he walked past me.

"Sure see you guys tomorrow." I walked them to the door and waved until they were gone.

You didn't tell them. A small voice in my head said.

"They didn't need to know." I said out loud rolling my sleeves up so the roses were exposed.

The bud from before had grown bigger. It still wasn't to the point where it would bloom but it was getting there. The house was empty again even though it wasn't. I cleaned up washing the few dishes then did my homework. After all that was done I checked in one Jas and my parents. They showed no change from yesterday. I kissed both my parents on the head then left the room shutting it firmly behind me. Jas mumbled as I tended her room but it was nonsense, something about rats.

I was about to go back to bed when I heard something outside. Getting up I walked outside and saw a bird laying in a beam of moonlight. I didn't run out to it immediately. I didn't know if it was sent by that person or was just something evil trying to lure me out. After awhile though it just lay there. I got one of mom's protective charms and walked out. The bird was still lying in the grass when I reached it. Kneeling down I saw it was a raven, a small one.

"Are you okay?" I asked even though the bird wouldn't answer me.

I cawed softly raising it head a bit to look at me. I ran the charm over it and got nothing. It was just an animal not a wizard or witch. And it was hurt. Gently picking it up I carried it back inside and tended to it's wounds. When I was done I had to wash my hands and a few towels. Then I sat down and watched the bird lying in the nest of towels I had made for it. I'd never had a pet before, mom didn't like animals and neither did dad.

"Where'd you come from?" I asked it from where I sat on the floor.

It looked at me then turned away. I watched it for a little while longer then laid down under the table. I had been dozing for a few minutes when I felt something. Opening my eyes I saw the raven had made it to me somehow and was laying in my blanket next to me. I went back to sleep a moment later assure that it was comfortable.
♠ ♠ ♠
I did not plan on adding the raven I just did. Did that help?