Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose twelve

The week seemed to fly by after that day. Every day fell into the next like a never ending cycle. I got up each morning and ate before heading to school. John and James made sure they cheered me up a little each time they saw me but the moment I got home all that cheering up would go away. The only small part in my life at the moment that I had no control over was the Raven. Everyday he (I had found out it was a boy when I tended his wounds in the morning) would hide somewhere and wait to jump out when I was least expecting it. I think he enjoyed watching me get all flustered.

"What am I going to do with you?"I asked him as I tended his wounds again.

He croaked before I let him down on the floor. Once he was out of my reach he walked into the other room looking for places he hadn't already explored. Sighing I cleaned the counter and washed my hands before setting my backpack on the table next to the one I had been packing all week. I glanced at it before turning away and heading to the basement. Dad's projects needed to be tended to.

* * * *
"Mal is something up?" James asked me the next morning.

"Why do you ask?"

"No reason you just look different today is all." He said before we turned and walked up the steps to the school.

"So is John sick?" I asked noticing the absence of my friend.

"Yeah, he caught a cold. Can you believe it?! And he always says only idiots catch colds." James and I smiled conspiratorially.

"Yeah, so what are you doing after school? Heading home to tend to him?" I asked knowing that was exactly what he was going to do.

"Maybe."

"You're such a good brother." I smiled then dropped my backpack off in my locker.

"Whatever you say."

I patted him on the head then went to class a smile on my face. It was a good thing John wasn't here, he knew my moods better then James did. He would have known the smile on my face was fake. Which was why I was glad he wasn't here, because he would have known why my backpack was different from usual.

After school ended I dropped by the school office and told them that I would be out for awhile. When they asked why I told them the whole family would be going on a trip. I got all my assignments from my teachers stuffing them in my locker after I was done. Then walking slowly I headed for John's locker. His was at the far end of the school, James was right next to him you could tell from the many stickers he stuck on it.

When I reached John's locker I reached into my bag and pulled out the letter I had written that morning. Looking at the pale envelope I saw my hands were trembling a little. I could always turn away and just leave. They didn't have to know. But I didn't want them coming after me either. So I slid the letter between the slots of his locker and turned. I had a train to catch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dear John and James,
I have to go away for awhile. I really don't know if I'll ever come back.
Take care of Jas and my parents for me will you? Thanks for being my
friends for so long. I don't know how I could have made it without you
guys.
-Maliina.