Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose fourteen

When my uncle opened the door his expression didn't change. It was the same spacy look he always wore. He took one look at me, he suitcase I had, and the raven perched on my shoulder then turned and walked back into the house. He left the door open so I walked in behind him. My uncle didn't say much so you had to read his actions. Once I was inside I closed the door behind me then turned and looked around. As always my uncles house was a complete . . . . mess.

Books and loose paper covered the floor while, suspicious looking globs covered the ceiling. I had my doubts but I could tell they were from some experiment that had gone wrong. Maneuvering around the piles of trash I followed my uncle into the living room where he was already brushing crumbs off the couch. My Raven flew over to where my uncle sat, more like flapped crazily, and stared at him. He looked over the job tending his injuries then turned his gray eyes on me.

"What are you doing her Maliina?" He asked his voice barely more then a whisper.

"I got tried of being at home," I lied looking away, "I thought it might be better if I came to visit you."

He didn't say anything. I looked back at him and could see the thoughts turning around in his head. Finally after a few moments of silence my raven cawed trying to catch the attention from one of us. My uncle turned to him then gripped him gently behind the head. After a second of struggling my raven went silent, the moment he did my uncle started writing signs in the air. A green glow filled the air, when it faded away my uncle undid the bandaging showing that the wounds were healed.

"I don't know why you lie to me. But stay as long as you like. There is food in the fridge." My uncle got up and lumbered towards me placing a hand on my shoulder as he passed.

"Thanks."

After that my uncle and I went about our days as if the other didn't exist. It was how he'd lived his life before I'd come. Except for the times when he wasn't working or asleep I cooked and read. Even though my uncle had barely any power in him he had collected as many magical tomes as he could get his hands on. I read them over and over trying to figure out what had cursed me. If there was a way to break my curse. And how to free my parents and Jasmine from the spell they were under. The raven who refused to listen to any name I gave him, was a constant companion by my side. If he wasn't cawing at me he was usually sleeping as I read.

"Don't you have school?" My uncle asked one night as we ate dinner.

"No we're on break now." I replied coolly studying the ramen in my bowl.

"I see."

He didn't ask about it after that. And after a week of staying at his place I had gone through almost every book he had. Sighing I set the last book aside and closed my eyes. It was no surprise after staying up for the days with no sleep that I passed out then. When I opened my eyes I was back in the dream place. I didn't say anything waiting for my visitor to speak first.

"It has been awhile my flower. I feel as if you've avoiding me."

"I've been doing the opposite actually. I've been trying to find anything about you." I replied yawning slightly. I was still tired.

"I am flattered. But there is no need to push yourself for my sake. I would not want any ill to come to you." I felt a pressure on my shoulder. But when I turned no one was there.

"I'm fine thanks. You would make my life a whole lot easier if you just told me who you were." I snapped crossing my arms.

"But then this would be no fun."

"I don't care I-"

Just as I was about to continue speaking something entered my body waking me up. When I opened my eyes I found my uncle standing over me his eyes grave. I had forgotten he would be home today. Then I saw where his eyes were laying. My arms were exposed the roses on them exposed as well. I covered them gently making sure not to catch myself on the thorns.

"We need to talk Maliina." He said as soon as I was on my feet.

Great.