Never Going Back Again

Sixteen

“Billy,” Valencia sighed as she rolled over. She went to put her arm around him but all she found was a bundle of sheets. Valencia let her eyes fluttered open. “Billy,” she said again. She blinked a few times, trying to see in the dark. “Billy.” She turned around to see if he was laying behind her. He wasn’t. Valencia sat up quickly, now fully awake. “Billy,” she said urgently. “Where…” she lifted up the sheets, looked under the pillows, she almost checked under the bed. She knew he had to be around here somewhere. He wouldn’t leave her without saying anything, but now her mind was working too fast to calm down, and she had no idea what to think. “Billy!” She screamed. Tears made their way to her eyes as she pulled the sheets off her naked body. She was just about to put some clothes on when she noticed her sliding patio door open. She stopped when she saw a naked Billy walk in.

“Were you in the backyard?” She asked him.

“Yea,” he said as he closed the door. Valencia looked at him and sighed.

“Naked?” Billy looked down at himself before looking back up at her flustered face.

“Yea,” Billy nodded. He walked over to her and wiped her tears away. “What the fuck are you yelling about?”

“I woke up and I couldn’t find you,” she stammered. She pulled herself away from him. “Next time you decided to go in the backyard naked can you tell me, or least tape a note to my forehead.”

“Calm down Val,” he said as he wrapped his arms around her. She leaned into him and sighed. “Joe called me and I didn’t want to wake you up.”

“Just,” she said exasperated. “Just don’t leave me like that again. Not now. I can’t take a surprise like that now.” Billy didn’t say anything as he walked her to the bed. He stretched out on his side and waited for her to join him, but Valencia just sat there with her back to him. “Oh, Billy,” she sighed as she ran her hands down her face. She took a deep breath, trying to hold in her sobs. “I’m just… I need to relax,” she said as she ran her fingers through her hair.

“Lay down,” Billy said. Valencia sighed as she laid down, her back still turned towards him. Billy wrapped his arms around her middle and pulled her small frame into him. “Everything is going to be fine, Val,” he said into her neck. “Quit stressing yourself out. I told you we’re taking care of everything.”

“I know,” Valencia sighed as she let her body melt into his. “I know. I’m not worried so much about myself. I’m worried about Armondo.” Billy didn’t say anything as she looked up at the ceiling. “He’s so young Billy. He shouldn’t have to be going through this.”

“He’ll get through it Val,” he sighed as he closed his eyes. “Besides, you’re no dummy. You’ll make sure he turns out fine.”

“I hope so,” she said before closing her eyes and falling asleep.

Image

Valencia rolled over on her stomach when Billy got up from the bed. He was cursing loudly as he slipped on his boxers. “What is it Billy?” Valencia groaned into her pillow.

“Some fucking idiot is knocking on the door,” he grunted. He ran a hand down his face and looked at the clock on the night stand. “It’s only fucking seven.” Billy walked over to Valencia’s dresser and picked up his gun.

“Billy,” Valencia said more alert this time. “What’re you doing?”

“I’m going to see who’s at the door,” he said as he walked out her room.

“Billy,” Valencia called as she sat up. She hopped out of bed quickly and searched for some clothes.

Image

Billy has been having a rough week. He had to deal with his crew’s shit: Heco taking some of their product for himself, Tommy fucking Spink’s girl in the Four Roses bathroom, and Joe fucking the junkie. Billy himself just got back with Valencia on the day her mother died. His wonderful father Bones was probably foaming at the mouth from Billy killing that junkie who was late on making payments. On top of that, he has hardly gotten a good nights sleep since he and Valencia broke up over a month ago. Now when he thinks he can actually sleep for more than an hour, some asshole decides to come over at seven in the morning to pound on his girl’s door. Whoever it was, was going to get a face full of lead.

When he opened Valencia’s door, he was expecting to see anyone else other than the man standing before him. “Hello,” the man said cheerfully. Billy just frowned. This man looked like he was lost. He was wearing a dark blue suit with matching shoes, his hair looked as if it were just cut, his nails were clean, and his teeth were perfect. He looked as if he were here to arrest someone, but the smile on his face said different.

“Can I help you?” Billy grunted.

“I sure hope so,” he smiled. “I’m looking for Valencia Adams.” Adams? Billy thought. This whole time he’s been with Valencia and hadn’t known her last name. Billy just shrugged it off. It wasn’t the first time for Billy. But now he was wondering what this man with dirty blond hair and dark blue eyes wanted with his Valencia.

“What the hell you want with Valencia?” Billy asked letting his gun show. The smile disappeared from his face and he took a step back.

“Uh, maybe I should’ve introduced myself. My name is Desmond Adams, I’m here looking for my children.” Before Billy could even get a word out, Valencia came out of room calling his name. She stopped short when she saw the man at the door.

“Dad?” She asked softly. Billy and her father looked shocked. Billy couldn’t believe this man was her father, and her father couldn’t believe how much she had grown.

“Hey Val,” he said with a smile on his face. “How’ve you been?” He asked.

Valencia was in shock. No way her father was here. She hasn’t seen him since before Armondo was born. Now he was standing in her doorway looking as if he hasn’t been absent for all these years. “Shitty,” she said. “My mother died.” The look on her father’s face almost made her wish she could take that back.

“I know Val,” he said. “And I’m so sorry, but that’s why I’m here.” He looked at Billy, then down at his gun, and then back up to his angry face again. “May I come in?” He asked. Billy turned around and looked at Val. She was still staring at her father.

“This isn’t my house,” Billy said abrasively. “Why don’t you ask your daughter.”

“Billy,” Valencia sighed. “It’s fine.” She looked at her father again. “Come in.” He smiled again and walked inside. Billy closed the door, gave Val’s father one more glance before he walked back towards her room to get changed. As soon as he opened the door to her bedroom, he heard Valencia start sobbing.

Image

“Where’s your brother?” Her father asked.

“He’s still sleeping.”

“I’d love to see him,” he said with a hopeful look on his face. Valencia didn’t know what to say. She looked over at Billy, who was leaning on a wall with a terrifying look on his face. He hadn’t said a word since he changed, but the look on his face said it all.

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea right now,” she said. “He’s been through a lot, and I think the last thing he needs is something else this… massive dumped on him.”

“Can I just-” he stopped, and looked up at Billy. He was looking down at her father so ferociously, it was even a second before her father looked back at her. “Can I just, peek into his room?” Valencia sighed and nodded. Billy pushed himself off the wall and walked back to her room again. Something about this just wasn’t sitting right with him. He didn’t trust this man. Something about the way that he walked, the look on his old, tanned face just irked Billy. Valencia could tell, as her father probably could too.

She walked him into Armondo’s room and regretted it the second she did it. Now she was feeling as uneasy as Billy. She understood that her father wanted to see his son. The one he walked out on and never seen. But Valencia didn’t feel like she had the right to let him see Armondo. She felt as if that were her mother’s decision, but she wasn’t here, and she couldn’t say no to her father.

“Oh Valencia,” he said as he brought his hands up to his face. “This is my son,” he said with glee written all over his face. For the first time, he was starring at his son. Valencia almost began tearing up just by watching her father. It was clear that they had a lot of issues, and that they really needed to sit down and have a talk, but the look on his face made Valencia feel good for a split second. This is how she wished it could’ve been the day he was born. She wished it was her father who was the room with her mother while she gave birth instead of Valencia.

Just then, Armondo began rolling around and groaning in his sleep. “Come on,” Valencia whispered as she grabbed her father’s arm. “He’s going to wake soon.” He nodded with a sad smile and followed her out the room, but not without one last glance back at his son.

“He’s beautiful Valencia,” he said to her as she closed the door. Valencia took a deep breath and walked down the hall away from her father.

“Why are you here dad?” She asked.

“I told you,” he said to her. “Your mother’s passing. I wanted to come and help out. I know we haven’t spoken to each other for a long time, but I couldn’t let you carry this burden all by yourself.”

“I’m not by myself dad,” she sighed. “This isn’t easy, but I’m not alone in this. Billy, his brother, and all his… co-workers have been helping me out a lot. They’re even taking care of mom’s funeral.”

“What’s up with him anyway?” Her father asked. “Are these the kind of people you hang around?” Valencia just shrugged. Then she stood up straight and nodded.

“Yes,” she said. “He’s my boyfriend.”

“Your boyfriend?” He repeated, almost laughing. Valencia just nodded again. “Your boyfriend came to the door in nothing but boxers and a gun in his hand.”

“I’ve been going through a lot,” Valencia explained. “He’s been helping me and Armondo get through this and he just wants the best for us.”

“You know,” her father said in a hushed tone. “You keep him around and your brother will end up just like him. Do you want that, Val?” He asked. Valencia couldn’t help the irate expression that was plastered on her face.

“You’ve been here for like two minutes,” she said. “Don’t think that because you came here after so long that you can pretend to be a dad again. It doesn’t work like that.” Valencia was fuming by now. She was in his face talking to him as if she were her mother.

“I understand Val,” he smiled. He stepped back and looked at her with a whole new expression. “But, I don’t have to pretend.” Valencia also stood back.

“What do you mean?”

“Valencia,” he sighed. “I came for the funeral, and my son.”

Image

Billy was sitting outside on Valencia’s patio. He was on his third cigarette. He wished for just one minute he could stop thinking. Just sit outside and enjoy his cigarettes without having them tainted with the thoughts of all his problems. Val’s father, he thought. That’s going to be a new problem. He could already tell. Something wasn’t right with that man. Maybe it was just the fact that this man looked loaded. Everything about this man screamed money and it pissed Billy off to see him flashing it down here. Billy had money, but not like this. Another thing Billy could see just by looking at him, was that he wanted nothing to do with Valencia. He may be all smiles on the surface, but Billy could see he had ulterior motives.

“Damn,” he said as he ran a hand down his face. “A new fucking problem.”

“Hey.” Billy looked up to see Armondo standing at Valencia’s patio door.

“Hey,” Billy said. He put out his cigarette and Armondo walked outside and sat down next to him.

“Who is Val talking to?” Armondo asked.

“Maybe you should ask Val,” Billy said. “All I can tell you is that he’s here to help.”

There was a silence between them for a minute or two, then Armondo huffed. “I don’t like him,” he said.

“Me either,” Billy added.

“His face, he looks scary.” Armondo looked at Billy before looking at the ground. “He’s making Val mad.”

“He is?” Billy asked as he looked down at Armondo. “How do you know?”

“He’s saying stuff to her about me and about mom and she’s getting mad.”

“What kind of stuff?” Armondo shrugged but then looked back up at Billy.

“I don’t want to leave with him,” Armondo said. “I want to stay with Val. Don’t let him take me.” Armondo wrapped his arms around Billy. “I don’t want to go.” Billy couldn’t help but to be taken back by the sudden urgency Valencia’s brother had. For the last two days he wanted nothing to do with Billy. Now he was talking to him and, for some odd reason, had his arms around him.

“He said he was taking you away from Val,” Billy asked. Armondo nodded. Billy stood, making Armondo stand up also. “Stay out here, okay?” He asked. Armondo nodded.

Billy walked into the hall just in time to see Valencia’s eyes spill over with tears. She had her back against the wall and her arms wrapped tightly around her. “You can’t take him,” she sobbed.

“Valencia, he’s my son,” her father said. “And I just don’t think that this in a safe environment for him.”

“But Dad,” she squeaked. “I just lost mom. Please, don’t take Armondo from me too.”

“I don’t have to take him. You can come too.” Just then Valencia’s sobs stopped. She looked at Billy before looking back at her father. “I’ve got more than enough room for the both of you.”

“I… can’t Dad,” she stuttered, taking a glance at Billy. “I can’t leave. We can’t leave. This has been our home, even before you left. You can’t force us to go anywhere with you.” Valencia was shaking by now. “You’re a fucking stranger.”

“Valencia, it doesn’t have to be like this. You both can stay with me. You two would love it. You can transfer to a school out there, you’ll practically have the place to yourself, and-”

“Val’s not going anywhere,” Billy said stepping between them. “Neither is her brother.” Her father looked at Billy. He didn’t look as intimidated as when he first walked in. Maybe because Billy didn’t have his gun in his hand.

“That’s not really up to you,” her father said stepping closer to him. “Is it?” In all Valencia’s life, she never thought there was anyone bigger than her father. Even when he was gone, she never thought there was someone of his stature. But now she knew Billy, and she couldn’t believe how wrong she was. Seeing him tower over her father, and the cold, hard look on his face frightened her. She was terrified at the thought of what could be happening. Billy had balled his hands into fists and they were shaking. As much as Valencia wanted to settle things with her father, she knew she couldn’t without sparking a fight.

She put her hand on Billy’s chest and looked at her father. “Go,” she said to him. “We can talk about this later. After the funeral.” Her father looked at Billy, still with no fear at all.

“All right,” he said. “After the funeral. I hope you change your mind about going by then. But it doesn’t matter whether you decide to stay or leave. I’m taking my son either way.” He turned around quickly and headed for the door. “You know,” he said as he turned and looked at Billy. He smiled this exuberant smile that scared Valencia more than anything else. “She just saved your life, boy.” Billy’s eyes grew wide as he made his way towards him.

“Go,” Valencia said to her father as she grabbed Billy’s arm. “Now.” Her father said nothing as he opened the door. He wasn’t surprised to see two more thugs standing outside her door with bewildered looks on their faces.

“This is what I’m talking about,” he said pointing to Joe and Bodie. “Excuse me,” he said with that smile again. The two boys looked at him before looking at Billy. When they saw Billy, they knew they shouldn’t have let the man leave. Joe looked behind him to see the man just making it to his car.

“We can still get him,” he said. Bodie was already pulling out his gun.

“Don’t bother,” Billy huffed as he snatched his arm away from Valencia’s grasp. “It’s her fucking father.”

“He’s gone now,” Bodie said as he watched the car pull off. Billy groaned and pushed past the two.

“Billy,” Valencia sighed. “Where are you going?”

“To get a fucking drink.” Valencia shook her head as she closed her door. The last thing she needed was brawl between her father and her boyfriend. It wasn’t even eight o’clock yet and she was already faced with a new problem.

“What the hell happened, Val?” Joe asked. She didn’t say anything. She just walked over to him and collapsed in his arms.