Never Going Back Again

Seventeen

Nearly an entire bottle of Jack Daniels was gone. Billy was sitting there¾at the crew’s usual table at the Four Roses¾just staring at the bottle. He had smoked a whole pack of cigarettes and was working on Tommy’s. He looked a mess. He had only been there for two hours, and he had already lost himself in the bottle. No one there dared to come to the table. Everyone was scattered around pretending to be doing something else. But they were all really focused on him. No one knew what was wrong with him, except Bodie.

Bodie stood at the bar watching Billy, trying to figure out when a good time was to talk to him about what happened. He knew he couldn’t go over there and just ask him what was wrong. Billy was still a pretty good shot even if he was drunk.

“What the fuck happened at Val’s?” Heco asked Bodie. Bodie looked at him before returning his glance back to Billy.

“Val’s father,” Bodie said. He pushed himself off the bar and began making his way towards Billy. Before he was even half way to the table, the bar doors opened. He glanced behind him to see Valencia making her way towards Billy. She walked past Bodie without even a glance in his direction.

She was different.

Something about her had changed. He had just seen her two hours before, but she was completely different. It was in the way she walked, and the determined look on her face. Bodie had seen that look before. He saw Billy wearing it often. Right before something bad went down. He could only imagine what was going through Valencia’s head. Her father coming back after so long just to take her brother from her. She had to be made of stone, because if it happened to Bodie, he’d be broken.

“Don’t Billy,” he heard Valencia say as she sat down on Billy’s lap. She took his hand in her own and kissed each finger. “Can we talk outside?” She asked. Billy looked up and met Bodie’s gaze. Bodie quickly walked back to the bar so he wouldn’t get shot by his best friend.

“Here is fine,” he heard Billy say. Bodie looked back over to Valencia. He couldn’t shake the feeling he got from her now, and as he looked closer, he could tell what was so different about her. She wasn’t coming to Billy as his girlfriend. She came to him as a customer would. She came to him as if she were about to proposition him. Like she wanted to make some kind of deal. Bodie knew that whatever was to come from this wouldn’t be good.

“Damn,” he said shaking his head as he turned to Heco. “A new fucking problem.”

Image

“I know you’re upset,” Valencia said to Billy. “I never even thought my father would show up, even if it was for mom’s funeral.”

“Where is Joe?” Billy asked.

“At home,” Valencia sighed. “He’s watching Armondo for me.”

Joe?” Billy asked. “You let Joe watch your brother?” Valencia nodded. Billy just shook his head and reached for the his bottle. “Why are you here, Val?” Valencia grabbed the bottle away from him right before he took a swig.

“Don’t fucking walk out on me like that again, Billy. I can’t take it,” she sighed. “This has been the longest fucking week of my life, and the last thing I need is for someone else leave me right now.” Billy didn’t say anything. He just looked at her. He could also see that something was off about her. She wasn’t herself. Any other time she would come in the bar pouting, extremely affectionate, or crying. Now she was sitting on his lap talking to him as if she was a gun toting drug dealer.

“Why are you here, Val?” He asked again.

“I need your help,” she said. Billy’s ears perked up and his nostrils flared.

“With what?” He asked.

“With dealing with my father,” she said quietly.

“What do you mean, deal with him?”

“You know exactly what I mean.” There was an anxious silence between them.

“You want me to make him leave?” Billy asked. Valencia nodded, and for a moment Billy felt a bit better.

“But, I want it to be more permanent than that,” she added. This is all your fault, Billy thought. He had exposed her to what he was and what he did. Now she was starting to think like him, even act like him. She was asking him to put down her father, and she didn’t have so much as a wrinkle on her forehead. She was being so casual about it, and that’s what scared Billy.

“Valencia, Do you know what you’re asking me to do?” He asked. Valencia nodded, and for a split second she was her old self. She began tearing up and even held his hand tighter.

“I know,” she nodded. “I know, but, I’m not letting him take Armondo. And I know I’m asking a lot of you, but there is no other way. He’s not taking my brother, and I’m not leaving you. It’s the only other option I see.”

Billy was speechless. Valencia could see that. She knew what she was asking was pretty outrageous, but she would do anything for Billy, she hoped he would do the same for her. “Okay,” she sighed as she wiped her eyes. “I’m going to head home. Are you coming back tonight?” Billy nodded. Valencia sighed once more before she put her hand on the back of his neck, and pulled him forward. She kissed him on his forehead and got up off of his lap.

“Did you tell Joe?” Billy asked as he grabbed her wrist. “About why you came here. Did you tell him?” Valencia shook her head.

“I just said I needed to see you,” she said. Billy let go of her wrist and nodded.

“Don’t tell him, don’t tell anyone. This is between me and you, all right?” He asked her. Valencia nodded. “We’ll talk when I get home.”

“Okay,” Valencia nodded

Image

“Hey Bodie,” Valencia said as she walked past him. Bodie just nodded. What the hell had happened over there? Bodie thought. Billy was sitting in his chair¾watching Valencia as she walked out of the bar¾looking so perplexed. Valencia just about had a smile on her face, but tears were still in her eyes.

“You felling better, Val?” He asked her. Valencia looked at him over her shoulder with a soft smile that left her lips as quick as it came. Before Bodie new it, she was out of the bar. He immediately looked over at Billy. Bodie gave him this quizzical look that let Billy know that he knew something was up. Billy sighed and took another swig from the bottle in front of him before he got up and walked over to Bodie. “What’s go-” Bodie began to say but Billy stopped him.

“Don’t ask me shit, all right?” Billy told him. Bodie nodded. “I need you to find out where Val’s father is staying.” Bodie looked indifferent.

“Okay,” he said. “No problem.”

“And when you do,” Billy said. “I need you to check him out.” Bodie looked at Billy for a long minute before finally understanding what he was saying.

“You fucking serious Billy?” Bodie asked. “You’re going to-”

“What the fuck did I say Bodie? Just do as I say.”

“Does she know… that you’re…” Billy didn’t say anything. He just reached in his pocket and pulled out a cigarette.

“She knows,” he said as he lit up. “She asked me to.”

“What the fuck, Billy?” He asked as he tried to wrap his mind around little Valencia plotting a hit.

“You keep your Goddamn mouth shut about this, okay? You don’t tell anyone about this. This is between me, you, and Val.”

“Okay Billy,” he said nodding.

“As soon as you find out where he is, stay there and let me know. Don’t kill him. Leave him for me. I’ve got to go and talk to Val.”