Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 17: Empty Bed

I awoke in a dark room. The moonlight peaking through the window. Forrest was nowhere in sight. I sat up clutching the blanket around my naked body. 'Where did he go?' I thought to myself. I had no idea of the time. My pop's probably worried, but not too worried. He knows I sometimes stay late at the station and Forrest will drive me home. I look down to where my clothes laid on the floor. I blush at the image of he and I undressing each other. I tiptoe over to retrieve my dress and cardigan. Dressing quickly, I ran my fingers through my tangled hair and decided on a side braid to tame it. I descended slowly down the stairs. It was dim in the diner which meant that it was closed. Maggie sat at the bar, a cigarette in her hand when she noticed me. She offered a tight smile. As if she was offering her sympathy, but I didn't know what for.

I surveyed the room and took notice that Forrest' office light was off. He wouldn't be in there. Maybe he was sitting on the porch. "Forrest outside?" Maggie stared at me, her eyes shifting until they met the floor. She shook her head no. 'Where could Forrest be and why would he leave without telling me?' Just then the screen door swings open. Jack walks in wearing new clothes strutting over to us with his boyish smile. Showing off what his share of the money was spent on.

"Where's Forrest?" Jack asked. Which is what I would like to know as well. Maggie gives Jack a look that I don't fully understand. "What?" He glances from me to her waiting for his answer.

"Jack..." Maggie whines. Realization coming across Jack's face.

"Have they gone without me?" His face turns to one of betrayal. It took me a moment to figure out what they were talking about. When it became clear I gasped. Its scary to know the events that's taking place as we speak.

Maggie's eyes went from mine back to Jack's. "It don't have to be like this." She called out after Jack as he rushed to leave the diner.

"Shit! I'll find out where they went." He stated and dashed out the diner. I watched him leave in search of his older brothers. My eyes came to rest back on Maggie's face.

"S-so he went after those men." I stated more than ask. "When did he leave?" The venom in my voice obvious.

"About two hours ago. I'm so sorry Babette I didn't think he would go through with it while you were here." I shook my head glancing at the floor.

"I should have known..... Once Jack gave him that address it was only a matter of time. I think I'm gonna wait upstairs if that's alright." She nodded. As a woman she undoubtedly understood how I was feeling.

I sat in Forrest' chair in the corner of his room in the dark. I waited a very long time before I heard movement outside the room. He walks in. His shadowy figure halting at the sight of me. It remained silent for some time. I couldn't bring myself to look at him knowing what he had done to those men.

"I thought you were 'sleep?" He mumbles in his deep southern drawl.

I scoff. "Funny thing? I thought you were too." I say staring off into the darkness, my thumb brushing back and forth against my bottom lip. He slowly took a few steps towards me. Making sure he stood clear of the moonlight coming through the window. He said nothing, but I knew his eyes were on me. "So you bed a girl then leave her to wake up alone?"

A low rumble came from Forrest. "These men, needed, to be dealt with."

"You could've dealt with THEM any other night." I paused for a moment. "I find it unfair how you relentlessly call Jack out for wanting to be a gangster- when he's just following his older brothers footsteps."

"I ain't no gangster." Forrest said almost inaudible.

I snort. "You could've fooled me. Sneaking off in the middle of the night to get your revenge sure sounds like a gangster to me.... I'm pretty sure my brother was shot to death for the same reason you went after those men." This catches Forrest' attention. His body tenses at my revelation. I stand up- tired of sitting in the dark so I switch on the light. As I turn back towards Forrest, I take in his appearance. His hands are stained red. His clothes splattered with blood. His eyes are cold, not the warm eyes I'm use too. He doesn't say a word, he stands there letting me take in the sight of him. My eyes travel down and back up his body resting on his stormy eyes. He abruptly leaves the room making his way to the bathroom. I hear the water start running. In a matter of minutes Forrest enters the room again in just his trousers and undershirt. He walks straight to his dresser in search of fresh clothes. I notice his hands are no longer stained with blood.

The tension in the room was building. The silence between Forrest and I went on for what felt like hours. "You wanna know how my brother died?" I ask nibbling on my bottom lip. He says nothing so I take that as my cue to continue. "He was murdered. Just 13 years old and shot down in broad daylight. He wasn't a bad kid. Everybody loved him. His optimism was infectious." Pausing as a lump formed in my throat. "I heard the shots ring out as soon as I made it about a block away. I watched people grab their children to shield them, and it never crossed my mind about Charlie. Until I heard my pop screaming his name. He was just lying there dying. I watched my baby brother die!" I began to heave. "He and his friend got caught in a gun fight between two gangs." Mental images flooded my mind of Charlie- his last smile, the last thing I said to him, the last breath he took in my arms. "He suffered, I know he did." I cried.

Forrest was still silent. Maybe he didn't know what to say. Maybe he just wanted me to finish and be over with it. Maybe he knew that this was the weight I carried on my shoulders. I let it all come out. Everything I never had the guts to talk about with my family. Everything I held in since that horrific day. "H-h-he had b-bullet holes everywhere. I watched him struggle to catch a single breath and I couldn't do a damn thing about it, but just h-hold him. He d-died right in my arms..... In the middle of the street." Unstoppable tears falling down my cheeks. "If-if I had let him walk me to work he would still be alive. I blame myself everyday for his death. Dreaming of those horrible images every night... but being with you keeps those nightmares away."

He grunts. "S'not your fault ." Forrest whispers. "Sorry for leavin' you alone.... but now I can rest easy knowin' they wont come after me, my brothers- you. They would've came back, no doubt in my mind."

".... But when will it end? Huh? The deputy went after Jack- you go after him. He hires men to kill you, and by some miracle you survive then you make your more against him. What's next?" My voice cracks.

His eyes soften. "You don't need to worry about-"

"Stop telling me not to worry about it! I'm worried- I'm worried that one day I'll get the news that somebody finally finish the job Forrest. I just want you safe Forrest..... " I whisper.

"I am safe. I'm home." He grumbles as a matter of fact. At this point I knew this argument was useless. I don't want to change Forrest, I just want him to think before he dives head first into the fire pit. I sigh heavily before sitting on Forrest' bed. Forrest slowly seats himself on my right side. I curl up against him resting my head on his shoulder taking a deep shaky breath. As he hesitantly snakes his arm around my waist.

"You should get some rest" Forrest mutters into my hair.

"Only if you promise not to sneak out again." I scoffed. His chest rumbles with his deep throaty chuckle.

"I ain't goin' nowhere. Ever." I look up at Forrest to see that his words were a promise to me. A smirk creeps onto my face. Pulling his face to mine I kiss him softly. The kiss growing to something more passionate. Our bodies moving in sync with each other as he lifted me to straddle him. He pulls away, his hand cupping my face, gazing into my hazel eyes with his grayish blues. He began to undo my braid. Running his hand from root to tip letting my hair frame my face. My heart pounding from just his touch. All my worries and troubles forgotten in this very moment. Forrest was the only one capable of that. The sexual tension was unbearable, but Forrest kept his slow pace.

Trailing butterfly kisses from my collarbone, up my neck, to my chin. I let my head fall back relishing his kisses. A moan escaping my lips. We lost ourselves in the heat of our passionate lovemaking. It almost felt as if this was Forrest' way of apologizing to me, and I did not mind it one bit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long wait guys :-/