Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 29: ....Arilynn

"Breathe sweetie!!" My aunts voice rang in my ear. "Just think of holding that precious baby in your arms." Aunt Gillian's old words flooding back into my mind. It would be worth the pain, just to finally have my baby in my arms. But in this moment, with this pain, I couldn't hold on to that thought long enough. The sharp pain in the lower part of my stomach intensified. I had been in labor for 16 hours now, and as time went by the contractions went from being tolerable to unbearable. The closer together they were the more it felt as if the pain would never end.

I panted heavily. Sweat was dripping down my face and I welcomed the cool damp cloth my cousin Angie placed on my forehead. The doctor was called to Blackwater station a couple hours ago, but there was only so much he could do at this time. We were playing the waiting game. My family was gathered downstairs in the diner waiting to welcome the new edition to our family. I knew Forrest was waiting outside our bedroom feeling helpless that he couldn't do a thing to ease my pain.

"Aunt Gillian, I-I.... ahhh, I don't think I can do this." My body was growing weak. She stared at me knowing what it felt like to be in my position and she tried to comfort me as best she could.

"You can, honey." She spoke gently. "I want you to take a couple deep breaths, okay?" I nodded defeatedly. She demonstrated a deep inhale through her nose and slow exhale out her mouth. she urged me to continue on my own. "That's it sweetheart. Keep it up. It'll be over soon."

A couple hours later I started to feel pressure. The contractions along with the pressure I began to feel, made me want to curl into a ball. "Aunt Gillian!" I gasped. "I think I need to push." The doctor rushed over to check if I was finally ready. He gave a nod to my aunt, and with that she started giving orders to Angie.

"Okay, now Ang I need you to go on the other side of her. Support her back." Poor Angie was nervous and clumsily made her way to my right side. "Babette, honey I know you're tired, but I need you to dig deep." Things started to move in slow motion once the doctor started giving instructions.

All I could think about was that I was about to become a mother. That I had no idea how to be one. How much I wanted and needed my mother to guide me. My heart racing at the thought that there was no turning back now. "C'mon Baps, push!!" Aunt Gillian urged me. With my chin to my chest I pushed as best I could. Angie and aunt Gill both helped holding my legs up. Aunt Gillian's countdown in my ear couldn't have ended any sooner. Releasing the breath I held in one big whoosh, my head fell back as I panted. After only a moment she was instructing me to push again. This time I felt immense pressure. My teeth clenched tightly as a muffled cry escaped my lips. I didn't wait for my aunt to finish the countdown before I threw my head back with a groan.

"I know it's hurts sweetie, but you're almost there! A few more. That's all you need is a few more." Aunt Gillian tried to sooth me. The doctor was telling me to push again. I bore down and pushed. I began to feel a burning sensation that instantly made me stop. I was sobbing now.

"I-I can't do this, aunt Gillian. I c-can't." I cried. She looked at me with glossy eyes and offered a small smile.

"You can." She said hoarsely. "The doctor can see the baby's head. One big push and it'll be over. We're almost there, you can do this. C'mon, one big push!" I bore down once again. The pressure from me trying to push out my child almost caused me to stop once again, but I fought through it. I could feel the slight tugging from the doctor. Then in an instant the pain ceased. Every muscle in my body went limp as I fell back against the bed. My vision blurred with fresh new tears. My ears felt clogged but I could hear the low wailing of a baby.

"Omg!!" Angie gasped in awe. I turned in the direction of her voice to see her with a hand over her mouth and chest, and tears running down her face.

"It's a girl!" The doctor's deep vibrato filled the room. Aunt Gillian lifted me, placing pillows behind me to prop me up. I could see tiny fist waving about as my baby girl's cries filled the room. She was wrapped in a blanket. The doctor checking over her before he placed her in an equally emotional aunt Gillian's arms. She slowly and carefully walked back to my side.

"She's gorgeous. Just like her mama." Aunt Gillian cooed. With a huge smile plastered on her face she placed a tiny, fussy, pink baby in my arms. One look at her precious face was all it took for her to capture my heart. She stopped fussing a few seconds later. Knowing that she was in her mother's arms. Aunt Gillian was right. Suffering this pain to finally hold the tiny human being Forrest and I made together, really was worth it.

Lost in a trance, taking in every inch of my daughter- I didn't notice that the room had emptied and there, standing at the threshold was Forrest. He stood there with his tight jaw and intense stormy eyes. His eyes held love, relief, and even a hint of possessiveness. He slowly closed the distance between us. His eyes never leaving mine until he was standing right beside me. My eyes remained on him as he took in the sight of our daughter, and I knew that she had captured his heart as well. Forrest met my weary eyes again before he sat down on the bed. He reached out with his hand gently placing it on my cheek. He then leaned in and kissed my forehead. I smiled up at him, happy tears rolling down my face.

"You wanna hold her?" My voice raspy and thick from lack of sleep. Forrest looked kind of hesitant, but nodded. I placed our baby girl in his arms. She looked even smaller snuggled in his big muscular arms.

One thing that I did not fail to notice is that she had her father's pouty lips. She also had a lot of hair for a newborn. It looked as if it were the same color as mine, but I couldn't be sure just yet.

Forrest placed his index finger next to her clenched fist. She grabbed ahold of his finger in a vice grip. It caused my heart to flutter at the sight of it. I then noticed a drop fall onto Forrest' hand. He was crying, but his smile never wavered.

"What're we gone name her?" Forrest grumble. I stared down at our bundle of joy, trying to figure out which name suited her. Only one stuck out. One name that called out to me the most.

"Arilynn." I said as I stroked her tiny knuckles. "Arilynn Bondurant."