Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 5: Looks Like A Hot Summer

Three weeks had passed since the town gathering. The exchange of heated words between me and Richie were a thing of the past. I knew he meant well but a girl of my age longs for that freedom to explore.

Summer in Franklin County was extremely hot. We often found refuge in lakes to keep cool. Jack introduced us to his very best friend Cricket who despite his hardships was so lovable. Bertha who accompanied us sometimes grew a liking to the youngest Bondurant brother and it was obvious he did as well. Angie made sure we were out everyday soaking up the sun creating memories that would last a lifetime.

My pop and brothers were lucky enough to find jobs in a nearby mill. I made it my business to help out aunt Gillian around the house even though she never asked.

I found myself at Blackwater Station occasionally meeting up with Jack and Cricket to go on one of many summer adventures. I rarely saw Forrest who was always stuck in the little room in the back of the diner, but when I did come face to face with him I could only muster up the courage to say hello, and he would give me a slight nod or grunt to acknowledge me.

Angie and I were waiting on the porch of Blackwater Station for Jack and Cricket to come back. Maggie the new red headed waitress from Chicago sat in the rocking chair peeling an apple with a knife. I noticed two cars driving up to the station. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Forrest making his way over to the cars.

Stepping out was the sheriff and his deputy, coming out of the car behind them was a weird looking man in a black suit his hair perfectly parted down the middle and slicked back. He stopped by the sheriff's car leaning on it while the sheriff spoke to Forrest. I watched as he confidently walked over to Forrest and poked his finger in Forrest' chest. With only a view of Forrest' back his head moved down and back up again, the man dropped his hand and looked over at us. The sheriff started talking to Forrest again as the weird looking man made his way over to us stopping right before the steps. He stood there just staring at us as if we were a piece of meat he wanted to sink his teeth into. I stared back frozen in place by his lustful gaze. It wasn't until I heard Forrest' voice that I was able to look away.

"You girls wanna go on inside." The three of us walked through the screen door. Maggie went behind the counter as Angie and I sat on the bar stools.

"You ever seen that man before?" Maggie asked still trying to see what was going on outside.

"No, I've never seen'em before. He sure is a weird looking thing isn't he." Angie answered. I couldn't help but feel so disgusted by the way that man looked at us. I mean I had men back in New York make eyes at me but none ever made me feel as I did now. It just didn't sit right.

We heard the sheriff and his men drive off. Jack and Cricket walking in a minute later, Forrest stood on the porch no doubt watching them drive away. Any plans we had that day were cancelled but that didn't mean Angie wanted to go home. I on the other hand didn't feel up for anything and said I would meet her at home.

I made my way outside Forrest' voice stopping me as I reached the top step, "That man so much as say a word to you, you let me know." I nodded not able to put any words together. I made it down the steps when Forrest' voice stopped me again, "I'll take ya home." Sounding more like a demand than a request.

We walked over to his truck in silence and got in. I could not believe that I was sitting in a car ALONE with FORREST BONDURANT!

"Was that your boyfriend that night?" He asked out of nowhere.

I snorted "NO! No that was just my older brother who acts more like my daddy than my own daddy does..." I paused, "he's overprotective."

"Why'd you move to Franklin?" He asked. I guess his curiosity got the best of him.

"To live with my aunt-" he cut me off.

"I know who you're livin' with. I asked why" taking his eyes off the road and glancing at me for a few seconds.

I turned my head to look out the passenger side window trying to figure out if I should tell him or not, but I just couldn't bring myself to talk about the details, "My little brother passed away.... Thought a new place would dull the pain a lil' I guess." Telling the truth just not the whole truth.

He grunted "Uh sorry."

"Who was that man in the black suit?" I said trying to change the subject.

"A new deputy" he grumble. A look of hatred crossing his face. "He gives you any trouble and I mean any trouble you come to me."

I smirked at him "You gonna be my protector too Forrest?" His lip twitched slightly. Bringing the car to a stop in front or aunt Gillian's house, thanking God that my brothers weren't home yet.

"I just would hate if anything were to happen to you." He said looking me square in the eyes making the hairs on the back of my neck stand. I turned away slowly reaching for the car door.

Turning back to him quickly "Thanks for the ride by the way" I smiled knowing my cheeks were probably as pink as ever. "Bye Forrest."

He said nothing but just dipped his head and gave a nod. I made it to the porch of aunt Gillian's before turning around and watching Forrest drive off. I don't know exactly what I was feeling as this point but I knew that Forrest was the man I would be willing to go against my brothers better judgement for.