Legends of Rendel: Blood of Heros.

Shadows and Secrets

Neroza and Papriika crouched behind a bush. They looked around at the deserted and ruined remains of the town.
“Do you see anything?” Papriika asked.
“No, but there may be someone hiding.” Neroza said.
“How can you tell?” Papriika asked.
Neroza pointed towards a blade that laid upon the ground. Blood could be seen as it coated the blade. A small trail of blood dotted off to the other side of a house.
“We can run to the side right there. The shadows should hide us.” Neroza said.
Papriika nodded and followed him as the two dashed towards the shadows. They scanned the area to make sure they were not seen. As the two slowly crept through the shadows they could see some bodies scattered across the road.
“Black skin. Those must be some of these creatures.” Papriika said.
“Yeah looks like there was a fight not too long ago.” Neroza said.
As the two approached the edge of the house they could see a man. He lay against a post on the side of the roadway. His hand held a blade while the other held against his side. Neroza glanced around the area.
“Stay here; keep an eye out for anything.” He said
Papriika nodded as Neroza slowly made his way to the man. As he approached he could see the blood on his armor under his hand. As Neroza stepped closer to the man he sprang to life. He thrusted the blade in his hand towards Neroza, he grabbed his wrist to stop the attack.
“Whoa. Its ok Orion sent me.” Neroza said quietly.
The man looked over Neroza. Then slowly relaxed.
“Your Zarrgoth right?” Neroza whispered.
The man nodded.
“My friend and I will help get you back to the base, we can heal you there.” Neroza said as he reached for him.
Zarrgoth knocked his hand away and grabbed him. He pulled him close to him and began to whisper him something.
Zarrgoth listened to him. As Zarrgoth whispered to him and motioned to the town around Neroza began to show horror in his face. Finally Zarrgoth pointed in the direction of the base and whispered one last thing. Then his body fell limp as his final breath whispered his last words. Neroza stared in horror towards the base. He looked back at Zarrgoth; he removed his insignia from his armor and then stood up.
“Such a sad sight.” A voice rasped behind him
Neroza spun around. A man dressed in a white priest robe stood before him. His skin was pale and eyes black. Neroza reached for his mace.
“I wouldn’t do that.” The man said.
Creatures drug Papriika out from the shadows. She was bound and a blade held to her throat. Neroza slowly lowered his hand.
“That’s better” the man said as he motioned to some creatures.
They ran up behind Neroza and grabbed him by his arms. They forced him to the ground and removed his weapon. Neroza glanced up at the man.
“Now now don’t look at me like that. Be thankful I’ve decided to enlighten your feeble minds to the glory of Merinsha.” The man rasped.
The man approached Neroza slowly as he began to grin evilly.
Neroza glanced at Papriika. The creature that held her pressed the blade against her throat. He looked back at the ground.
“Forgive me ash.” Neroza said quietly.
The man leaned down towards him. He chuckled.
“Do you wish to say something?” he said
Neroza glanced up at him and grinned.
“I’d run.” Neroza said in a deep voice.
A burst of power erupted from around him. The creature that held him was knocked back. The man staggered backwards, his hands shielded his face from the force of the power. Neroza stood up. Dark magic swirled around him he reached up and removed the cloth that covered his right eye. Papriika stared in horror at the sight she saw. His right eye was pitch black a symbol of a star in the center began to glow red. Neroza stared at the man, he slowly bent down and picked up the blade that Zarrgoth held in his hand.
“I have no time for you whelp. Be gone.” Neroza yelled in a deep voice.
The man threw his hand forward.
“Kill him now.” He yelled.
The creatures jumped on Neroza; they slashed at him with their blades. Without hesitation he spun his arm around him. The creatures were knocked back. Blood sprayed in the air. As they fell to the ground.
“Is that all.” Neroza scoffed.
He slammed a sword into the ground. The massive sword had a dark magic that swirled around it. It stood at the same length as his body. He stared at the man before him.
“How…how do you have such power?” The man said as he back away.
Neroza lifted the sword from the ground. He held it out with one hand in front of the man.
“Your presence is a nuisance to me whelp, now Die!” Neroza yelled.
He slashed the sword into the man. The sound of the steel as it tore through his flesh filled the air. The man released a scream as he felt the blade cut his flesh.
Papriika sat on the ground not far from the event. She stared in horror at the sight of this dark Neroza. She watched as the man’s body fell to the ground blood soaked into the soil. As she glanced back up at Neroza she could see that his sight was now fixed on her. He picked up his sword and began to approach her. His eyes filled with darkness and rage.
“Ne…Neroza. It’s me” she said
He said nothing as he continued his approach. He lifted his sword high into the air.
“Neroza.” She yelled again.
He stopped before her. His sword high above his head. The look in his eyes grew dark and malicious. In an instant he slashed the sword towards the ground where Papriika laid.
“NEROZA!” she screamed.
The blade stopped just inches from her. It began to tremble. Neroza’s face began to show signs of struggle. Papriika stared in a mix of confusion and horror at the sight. Neroza threw his hand to his face. He stumbled backwards as he dropped the sword. Papriika watched as Neroza seemed to appear as if he was injured. He covered his face with his hands.
“No. you can’t stop me” a deep voice echoed from him.
He began to struggle as if to grab the sword. He stopped himself as he pushed himself away.
“Pa….Papriika, destroy…..the……sword……” Neroza’s normal voice struggled to say.
He began to fight with himself once again. Papriika looked at the sword. The power that once swirled around it had now begun to fade in and out as if it struggled to maintain its power. She looked at the struggle that apparently was within Neroza.
“NOW” Neroza yelled as he fell back to the ground.
Papriika reached for her mace. She swung it and slammed it into the sword. But it bounced off of it. She tried again and again. Each time she slammed her mace into it harder and harder. The blade began to crack with each attack. Suddenly Neroza stood up. The dark energy that once swirled around the blade came back full force.
“Stop you whelp!” a deep voice emanated from Neroza as he lunged towards Papriika.
She did not stop she slammed her mace into the sword with all her might. The blade shattered the dark energy erupted from it with such force that it flung her backwards.
“NOOOO!” The deep voiced echoed.
Suddenly the energy was gone. The huge blade that laid on the ground in front of her was now just shards of the small blade that Zarrgoth once held. Neroza knelt on the ground, he breathed heavily as he stared down.
“Wha….what just happened?” Papriika said as she picked herself up.
Neroza fell back to the ground he stared up at Papriika. The symbol that was in the center of his right eye now vanished, though it still stayed pitch black. He reached and grabbed the sash that covered it before.
“That….was the curse that I have upon me. Now you know what dark secrets I have.” He said as he replaced it.
“Curse. Secrets what the hell.” Papriika yelled.
Neroza picked up his mace and turned to her.
“I’m...sorry for that, but right now I can’t explain it we have to get back to the base.” Neroza said.
Papriika glared at him, she picked up her shield and turned to him.
“Fine but when we get back you’re telling me everything.” Papriika said angrily
The sun began to set; the glow of the twilight gave an eerie color of death across the valley. Suddenly a roar echoed from the base. The two stared in horror towards the sound. They ran as fast as they could towards the base both filled with fear of what was to come.