A Few Too Many

Chapter 10

A few days later Jordan was walking through the house, his phone on his ear, talking rapidly.
“Yes I can.”
“Tomorrow?”
“OK, see you there.”
“What’s wrong I asked him as he pushed his phone in his pocket.”
“I got traded.”
“WHAT?” I shrieked
“To Carolina!” He shouted then pulled me into a hug.
“You are going to play with Eric?”
“Yup.”
His had a broad smile over his face and I could see the joy at this news.
“I have to go to Raleigh today for a press conference and the announcement will be made tomorrow on Draft day.
“Did I hear what I thought I heard?” Marc asked as he walked into the room.
“I am getting my trade. Now you will have to play both of us at the same time. Woot!”
Marc smiled and clapped his brother on the shoulder. Eric walked in a minute later a smile on his face, “I guess they already called you.”
“Yeah, flying out in a few hours, you coming?”
“Yup, I am the captain.” he said smugly
“Yes you are and I get to be your ass for real this time.”
“You were always my bitch Jordan, now you just have a title.” They wrestled each other down the hall. I was thrilled that Jordan got what he asked for, I thought he had been happy in Pittsburgh but not being close to his family was hard on him. The conversations we had had in the past always told me family was really important to him and to be honest it made more sense. He would be closer to Jared as well. The afternoon was quiet once the boys left, i curled up on the couch and watched TV for a bit. Marc came home a few hours later and we ventured to his parents house and had dinner. His parents were happy that Jordan had gotten what he wanted and talked about not having to do quite as much traveling.

September
Bree

“Marc, why can't i just use some of my furniture, it really doesn't make sense to buy all new stuff.”
“It will cost us more to move it all, versus just buying stuff.” He smiled
“I guess you are right. I just really like my couch.”
“What if we move it here and put it in the office, then it will be close.”
“Thanks.”
He smiled and kissed me softly on the nose. We had fought about me working and i finally agreed that maybe I should take a year off and get used to this lifestyle before I added work on top of it. I was glad Shea had hooked me up with Sean Avery so I would have someone here to hang out with while Marc was away. Most of the other wives already had their stuff planned and honestly the only one who was nice to me was Hank’s wife.
Sean arrived a few hours after Marc left to pick me up for the game.
“I still cannot believe you wanted to go with me instead of the WAGS.”
“You are more fun and you don't constantly talk about money, I also may end up on your instagram.” I smiled at him.
“Marc, threatened to beat me if I put pictures of you up, although I think he is no competition.”
We walked into the luxury booth in the arena, I would really rather sit closer so I could actually see Marc, but he waved up at me as he skated by.
The game was intense and Marc got boarded halfway into the second period. Sean guided me down to the locker room so I could check on him.
“I’m fine, promise.” he smiled up at me.
“You don't look it.” I frowned.
“Just going to have some bruising but nothing is broken, I took the shelf on the glass right into the ribs.” He winced as he lifted his shirt to show me.
“It looked worse than it was.” Sean added.
I frowned as he tried to make me feel better, I understood why Shea loved him so much. Under his strong exterior he was really a nice guy, even though I had heard the stories about Sean, i didn't believe them. We walked back to the lounge so they could wrap Marc’s chest, trying to ease a little of the discomfort. Sean wrapped an arm around my shoulder as we walked and kissed the top of my head
“Marc is a lucky man.”
“I think I am the lucky one.”
He shook his head, disagreeing with me. He grabbed a bottled water and sat beside me on the couch. The WAGS walked by only acknowledging Sean. I didn't care much, i hadn't come here to make friends with them, but it would help when there were functions. Hank’s wife smiled and waved walking over and asking how Marc was. She told me if I needed anything not to hesitate to call her. I smiled and nodded, glad someone at least cared. DelZotto walked out a few minutes later coming over and hugging me.
“That was a crappy hit and I hope the asshole gets suspended.”
“Marc is OK, that is all that really matters.”
“Yeah, I guess. Its still total bullshit. If it had been four inches lower it could have been really bad.” I shifted uncomfortably in my seat trying to not worry about the game that could kill my husband.

Jared

I got a call from Bree letting me know that Marc was OK. I was glad he had someone to look out for him. I had seen the hit and wondered how he was doing.
“Marc is good.” I smiled and pulled Shea to me.
“Good.”
I looked down at her, things had been so good for so long and I wanted to talk to her about a few things so she would understand. I had waited long enough, even though she told me over and over again that she didn't care. I knew deep down she did, no matter what she said.
“Shea, I want to explain some things to you.”
“I don't care J, I have told this over and over.”
“I just need it to be all out in the open, no secrets remember.”
She rolled her eyes and leaned into my chest.
“I loved Jenny, it was a simple love, an uncomplicated one. I was so young and didn't really understand exactly what love was. She would brag all the time about being my girlfriend, endearing at first, annoying after awhile. She would make a show whenever we went out. I just thought that;s how girls were. I never really understood until some of my other teammates started bringing their girls around. She was obnoxious with fans always complaining about the attention, never stepping aside and just letting me do my thing. She complained constantly about the fact that I wasn't in the NHL yet. I knew a year before I called it off that she wasn't who I wanted to spend my life with, i was just afraid of hurting her. My brothers had had enough by this time, If you didn't notice they aren't very friendly with her. She used me for who she thought I was going to be. When I got called up to Charlotte she was disappointed that I wasn't called to the Hurricanes. It started a downward cycle that ended badly. I think I told her to fuck off at least seventeen times in the last conversation we ever had. It took me several months but I finally forgave her. Seeing her again surprised me and to be honest she looked exactly the same. I don't know if my reaction was normal. Hell, I don't even know if I am normal. I just want everyone to be happy, it’s my downfall. I want to see the good in everything and to be honest I don't care if I ever play NHL hockey as long as I get to play. I have so much to carry on my shoulders, I hear the comments about the lone Staal that hasn't made it yet, but to me its just about the game. I want to play and that's it to me. I wish that I could tell you that I will be a NHL star but I don't know. I am not Marc or Eric or even Jordan.”
“Thank the Lord for that,” She laughed.
“I just want to be Jared Staal. I wish it was simple, I wish I had been honest with you from the beginning. I know it has been months but I am sorry for not telling you. I am so sorry and I hope you will forgive me.”
“I forgave you a long time ago, but thanks for being honest.”
“I promise to always be honest with you.”

Bree

I was so excited that Shea was coming to New York for a few days, I hadn't really spent much time with her and I missed her. I took a cab to the airport and waited for her plane to land.
“Bree!” I heard her yell and took off running to hug her. We crashed into each other and giggled as stuff flew every which way.
“I am so glad you are here. They boys have been asking about you and we are going to go meet them tonight.”
“That would be awesome.”
We left to go to dinner with Aves, Hank and his wife.
“So are are things in Charlotte?” Aves asked her.
“They are spectacular. Who would have thought that you Sean Avery would change my life.”
“Its all in a days work.” He smirked
“Marc how are things looking, I mean you have the most spectacular goalie in the league backing you guys up.”
“This year we win the cup.” He high fived Hank. Shea and I broke out in giggles as the three boys laughed and started talking Hockey. Hanks wife was quiet compared to us, but she kept up with the conversation.
“Who knew women could be so obnoxious.” Sean kidded us.
“You have no idea.” Shea laughed.
We ended up at the bar an hour later and drinks started to flow. Sean had Shea on his lap as they giggled at each other. He turned his phone and took a shot of her kissing him on the cheek and I couldn't help but smile. They were such good friends and it showed. I never knew they were so close but hanging out with Sean these last few weeks, I had learned so many things about her. She wanted a business degree so she could work with the Rangers but decided to change her major after we met so she could stay close to me. The conversations had opened my eyes as to how much Shea actually thought of me. I knew she was my best friend but I had no idea that she had changed her life to stay friends with me. They laughed and talked as Sean uploaded the picture to instagram.
“I cannot believe you tagged that picture like that.”
“What you are my hot bitch.”
“Yes I am.” She leaned into him kissing him again on the cheek.

Jared

“Hey Jared, this rounds on you.” Peters called
I walked to the bar and grabbed the beers for the table. I missed Shea something awful but with training camp and other stuff going on it was the best time for her to go away for a few days. The boys drug me out so I wasn't pining in my hotel room for her. The few conversations we had were short and sweet but I hadn't realized I would miss her so much. After our conversation I felt better about everything and was going to ask her to move in with me when she came back. We were always at her place or mine so why keep two houses up.
I walked back to the table and glanced down at my phone. There was a text from Jordan.

What’s up with Shea and Sean Avery
Jordan

They are friends
J

They look awfully close
Jordan

What?
J

Look at Sean Avery’s instagram
Jordan

I pulled up instagram and searched Sean Avery, I almost lost my shit right there at the table. Shea was perched on Sean’s lap kissing his cheek. The picture wasn't what worried me so much, I knew they were close it was the comments.
“Avery found a new girl”
“I thought Shea was dating a Staal”
“One of the many conquests of Sean Avery.”
I text her a few minutes later, waited then laid my phone on the table. The noise in the bar was nothing compared to the pounding in my head. I was trying my best not to be a jealous bastard but I didn't want anyone thinking what they were thinking. She had a reputation for being a flirt and I already knew that. I also knew that Marc wouldn't let anything happen to her. I guess I needed to just make my self very clear that she was not Sean’s hot bitch. I picked my phone up and text Jordan again.

Its cool
J

Yeah, if you say so
Jordan

What am I supposed to do? They are friends.
J
They look like more than friends.
Jordan

I know that, but Marc is there
J

Its Sean fucking Avery, you think he gives a shit?
Jordan

I thought you were on my team?
J

I am that's why I told you
Jordan

I am not going to get pissed about this
J

You are a better man than I am.
Jordan

I didn't know what to say, Jordan was right and I knew he was but I really didn't want to fight with Shea, maybe if I just told her it made me a bit uncomfortable that would work. I finished off my beer and left the bar, not really explaining to the boys why I had left.
I stretched in the bed the next morning and reached for my phone, there was an empty screen and I tried to call Shea, It was after 9 and I didn't have to be at practice until 10 so i called her as I ate breakfast.
“Hey” she answered
“Hey.”
“I had so much fun last night only thing missing was you.”
“You looked pretty comfortable on Sean’s lap.” I said trying to make it sound like a joke, but my voice faltered.
“What are you talking about?”
“I saw the picture of you two, you were kissing him.”
“On the cheek.”
“Yeah, well.”
“Are you fucking kidding me Staal? You know who I am, you also know how close Sean and I are. I am sorry you are sitting there being pissy. You are not going to change who I am and I am not going to pretend that it is OK. Are you done being an ass or am I going to have to hang up on you.”
“I am not trying to be an ass, but you didn't see some of the comments that are on this picture.”
“Who gives a fuck what other people think.”
“I do.”
“Fuck”
“I just want you to be a little more aware of what is said thats all. I mean he put my hot little bitch under the picture. I think that pissed me off more than the picture.”
“Jared I love you but I am not going to fight over this.” She hung up and I dropped my phone on the counter. I hadn't intended to fight with her and I had practice.
I walked into the arena, finding my stall and started changing. The coach walked in and starting talking about a few changes. Cam had taken a skate to the leg in practice and was going to be out so they were sending Ellis up to be back up so Muse was coming up from Florida. He would be arriving later that day.