A Few Too Many

Chapter 7

I was woken by a knock on the door. Jared fucking Staal didn't know when to leave well enough alone.
I pulled the door open and looked up at Aves.
“What the fuck?”
“I knew you needed a shoulder.”
“Aves, you shouldn't be here.”
“Why not?”
“I don't know you just shouldn't.”
He walked through the door and dropped his bag looking over the apartment.
“This is nice, I can dig it.” He smiled and I felt comfort in it. He walked across the room and pulled me into a hug.
“I don't want to see you like this. Are you really crying over that boy.”
“This isn't about Jared.”
“Of course it is.”
“Sean, I don't want to talk about it. I don't even know how I feel at the moment.”
“Well you look like shit.”
“Thanks.” I rolled my eyes.
“What happened?”
“Fuck me.”
“I did and would do it again and again.”
“Sean.” I warned.
“Sorry, what did baby Staal do to you?”
“I don't know that he really did anything. I mean he saw his ex and didn't introduce me as his girlfriend then agreed to have dinner with her. He lit up like the fucking ball on new years when he saw her.”
“OK, well did you talk to him?”
“No, I freaked the fuck out and ran.”
“Why did you run?”
“I don't know.”
“OK, well there are a few options.”
“Oh great taking relationship advice from the likes of Sean Avery the man whore himself.”
“Hey, that's not nice.” he smiled
“Well its true.”
“I think we have the whore thing covered in this room.”
“Yeah well, thats why I never should have dated anyone seriously. I mean when we hooked up I knew how you felt and knew how I felt and it was cool. You never pushed for more, ever.”
“It wasn't my style then, I can't make the same promise now.”
“Sean.”
“I was just being honest, something you cannot do.”
“I can be honest.”
“Spill.”
“I was fucking jealous as hell, not that they had dated but at the way he looked at her.”
“Oh, he looked at her.”
“Yeah like he still loved her.”
“Does he?”
“I don't know.”
He smiled and pulled me to him. I curled against him and smiled to myself.
“I think if I can't have you then nobody should.”
“Sean, I love him.” I said and felt the tears streaming down my face.
“I know.” He pulled me closer. He pulled me over to the couch, sitting he pulled me into his lap and cradled me like a baby.

I woke the next morning my eyes so puffy I could hardly open them. I was wrapped in Sean’s arms and felt safe for the moment.
“Thank you Sean.” I spoke through a voice that was strained with tears.
“You got it.” He hugged me closer. “I have never seen you break down like that, I mean I have known you for what four years?”
“I know and I am sorry.”
“Don't be sorry, Shea.”
“I just don't like anyone seeing me like this. I knew if I stayed it would be bad and I had to get away.”
“You shouldn't run, it doesn't accomplish anything.”
My cell phone interrupted our conversation and I reached for it noticing I had seventeen text messages and two missed calls. I dropped it back on the nightstand and curled into Sean.
“You can't avoid it forever.”
“I can for now.”
He kissed the top of my head and pulled me tighter against him. “You will be fine I am sure.”

Jared

“I don't know what the fuck I did.” I yelled at Jordan
“Don't yell at me J, I am not the one that fell all over my ex in front of my current.”
“I didn't.”
“Yeah you kinda did.” Eric pipes up.
“I love her, she knows that.”
“I guess you didn't make it clear enough.”
“I want her and no one else, I was just surprised to see Jenny, that's all.”
“J, you didn't even call Shea your girlfriend.”
“I thought I did.”
“Well you didn't, and Shea is a delicate flower in the relationship area.” Jordan pointed out.
“I didn't know it was protocol to talk about your exs.”
“You were going to marry Jenny, I wouldn't call that an ex.”
“ OK wait, did you say marry?” Bree asked as she walked into the room.
“Fuck.” I shouted trying to walk out.
“Wait.” Bree stepped in front of me and placed a hand on my chest.
“What?”
“You were going to marry her?”
“I had thought about it, but she wasn't really into it for me, I think it was more about my NHL career and when I wasn't drafted high and making millions like those douches, she changed.”
“So you didn't love her.”
“Yes I did. I have only loved two women in my life, Jenny and Shea.”
“Jared.” she frowned.
“What am I supposed to do, she wont take my calls or text me back.”
“You have to go to her.” Eric spoke
“I don't think I can.”
“You have to. Be a man, if that's what you want.” Marc spoke.
“NO, FUCK YOU JARED STAAL AND THE REST OF YOU ASSHOLES TOO!” Bree shouted then ran from the room.
“Great, now my wife is pissed at me.” Marc stood walking from the room.“Thanks asshole.” He spoke over his shoulders as he followed a very upset Bree. I watched as each of my brothers left the room, leaving me to try to figure out what the hell just happened.
Bree

“Open the door.”
“Fuck you Marc.”
“Bree, please.” he knocked again. I was locked in the bathroom in tears over the hurt I knew was coming. I had to call Shea, but I also knew she wouldn't answer my calls either. I knew what I had to do. I stood wiped my tears and opened the door, holding up my hand as I walked past Marc grabbing his phone.
I looked for Hank’s number and called as I walked back by and slammed the door in Marc’s face. I knew I shouldn't be mad at him but who keeps a secret like that.
“What’s up Staal? Enjoying the bay?”
“Hey Hank, this is Bree, Marc’s wife.”
“Hey Bree how is married life treating you and why are you calling and not Staalsy?”
“I need a favor.”
“OK.”
“I need Sean Avery’s phone number.”
“Um, why?”
“I just need to talk to him.”
“He isn't in town.”
“So, can't I still call him.”
“Yeah whatever, I will text it to Marc’s phone.”
“Thank you Hank, I owe you one.”
“Just make sure Marc doesn't get pissed at me.”
“OK.”
I held the Phone waiting for the number to come across the screen, as soon as it did I hit the text and called Sean.
“Marc?”
“Hey this is Bree, I need to talk to you, Shea probably won't answer my calls and I need you to make sure she is OK.”
“Hi Bree. I am in Charlotte with her, she is a mess.”
“I know, wait you are in Charlotte?
“Yeah, I just want to make sure she is OK.”
“ I mean I didn't even know that Jared was engaged.”
“He was engaged?”
“Apparently so.”
I heard a scuffle on the other end of the phone and then heard Shea yelling.
“Look I have to go. I will make sure she is OK.”
The phone disconnected at that moment.

Shea

“HE WAS FUCKING ENGAGED?”
“That's what Bree just told me, you didn't know?”
“I had no clue he even had a girlfriend that was long term.”
“ OK well lets calm down and think about this.”
“There is nothing to think about.”
“Shea.”
“What the fuck Aves.” I asked him. This was getting out of control, so much drama. I knew in my heart that I was overreacting but at the same time, it was total bullshit.
“I know, I just want you happy.”
“Maybe you would make me happy.”
“I would sure as hell try.”
“You got room in New York?”
“Shea, I don't think that is fair.”
“What that I want out of this shithole. I have more and better friends in New York. Bree will be there after summer and I can be who I want to be.”
“I don't think you would be happy with who you were.”
“Of course I would be.”
“I still can't believe you picked that baby Staal over all this.”
I couldn't help but laugh, making me feel better. I howled at Sean as he put a perfect pout on his perfect face.
“I don't know why I never wanted more with you.”
“Cause I am a complete ass.”
“That you are.”
He pulled me into hug. “You feel like eating?”
“Yeah.”

Jared

“Bree, please don't be mad at Marc.”
“Jared I am pissed at all of you.”
“Its my fault.”
“Yes it is.”
“You should have told her, I mean you were engaged.”
“I wasn't technically engaged.”
“You were going to marry her.”
“I thought about it, I mean tha'ts what you do right?”
“I wouldn't know.”
“Marc had other girlfriends and you didn't freak out.”
“Marc talked to me about it and yes I almost freaked out.”
“Why?”
“I thought I wasn't good enough.”
“Of course you are and so is Shea.”
“Jared you hurt her, I have never seen or heard her that upset.”
“You talked to her?”
“No, I talked to Sean.”
“Sean is with her?” I felt a stab of pain at the thought that Sean Avery was with her, my girl.
“Yes, he wanted to make sure she was OK. I had to call Hank to get his number, but found it in Marc’s phone later.”
“Oh.” I frowned dropped my head and walked from the room. I had fucked up royally and I had to get back to Charlotte to fix this.I boarded a plane late that night and sat anxiously through the entire flight.

Shea

“Aves I don't want to go out.”
“Come on lets drink our sorrows away.”
“OK.” I didn't feel like going out, I still cried at the drop of a hat.We walked into Whiskey River.
“Sean Avery?” We heard from behind you.
“Yes.” Sean turned taking the mans hand.
“I am a huge fan and I am sure Dale will be glad you represented in his bar.”
“Dale?” Sean questioned.
“I am Regan Smith, I drive in the NASCAR circuit. Dale as in Dale Earnhardt Jr. He drives too.”
I watched with amusement as Sean tried to act like he knew who he was.
“Yeah Yeah, I guess we don't get to see much of your face when you have on a helmet.” He smiled
“Let me buy you a beer.”
I knew who he was and wasn't surprised when Dale jr walked in a half hour later.
“Hey Dale.” Sean smiled. I had Googled a few pictures for him and showed him, who was who. I had no clue either but I recognized them, I mean I lived in Charlotte.
We drank a few beers with them and then Sean excused us to leave.
“Come on back anytime. You are a VIP in this bar.” Dale said as we started to leave.
“Shea?” I heard from behind me.
“Hi Justin.”
“Hey, where’s Staal?”
“I wouldn't know.”
“Avery?”
“Yeah and you are?”
“Justin Peters, I play for the Checkers.”
“Nice to meet you.” Sean looked down at me and noticed I was on the verge of tears.
“We were just leaving.” Sean pulled me against him and left the bar.
By the time we made it to the car I was in tears.
“Sorry about that, why didn't you tell me they hung out there.”
“They aren't playing, its summer, I honestly didn't think any of them would be there.” I said through my tears that had started to fall even before we got out of the bar.