Status: Complete

Learn How to Play the Game

Madison Square Garden

I bit my lip as I watched everyone running around the stage. I just stood there and stared. It was really happening. Madison Square Garden was really happening and I couldn’t belive I was actually standing watching the stage get set for the boys to rehearse.

“It’s amazing.” His voice was soft and I knew he was right behind me, I nodded.

We just stood there and I could feel myself relaxing more than I would ever admit just by being in his presence.

“Blair!” a voice called and I spun on my heel running towards the familiar sound.

I jumped and he caught me spinning me round.

“Ed.” I grinned as I pulled away, “how excited are you?”

“Dude you have no idea.” He grinned and I smiled back, “how are you my favourite girl ever?”

“Alright.” I nodded falling into step next to him as we walked down the steps towards the stage.

“That’s not very convincing.” He chuckled, “what’s going on beautiful?”

“Just got a lot going on in my head.” I shrugged and paused at the side of the stage and Ed did the same, “it’s unreal right?”

“I’m nervous now.” He took a deep breath, “it’s not even full.”

I took his hand in mine and we looked at each other for a moment before stepping onto the stage. His face lit up as we reached the center and the way he looked at me I knew my face was the same.

“Sing with me?” he asked and I blushed, “please play Madison Square Garden with me Blair.”

“Empty right?” I asked and he chuckled, “I’ll do it empty.”

“Okay.” He grinned.

I watched as he took his guitar off a guy who was walking towards him.

“You ready?” he asked and I laughed nervously.

“What are we singing?” I asked walking over to a mike and adjusting the height to be right for me.

He started playing the guitar and nodded at me to start.

“I wanna be drunk when I wake up
On the right side of the wrong bed
And every excuse I made up
Tell you the truth I hate
What didn't kill me
It never made me stronger at all.
Love will scar your make-up lip sticks to me
So now I'll maybe leave back there
I'm sat here wishing I was sober
I know I'll never hold you like I used to.” I closed my eyes and sung softly. I knew Harry was watching us.

Ed and I sung along and loved every second of it. When we finished he grinned at me and I giggled.

“You should being doing this B.” he told me and I sighed.

“I wrote a song about Harry.” I told him.

He took his guitar off him and handed it to me. I bit my lip and shook my head.

“I can’t play it here.” I told him, “I can’t play it at the moment.”

“Why?” he asked.

“It’s too honest.” I whispered.

“No such thing.” He told me and I shrugged.

“Now isn’t the time to be this honest in front of everyone.” I told him and he nodded.

“When you’re ready I’d love to hear it.” He told me, “I love your songs you know that. I’ve been waiting for a heart wrenching Harry Styles tune.”

“Have you now?” I raised an eyebrow handing his guitar back.

“It’s going to be epic, I know you Blair and this song is going to be insane.” He told me.

“Blair!” Niall called, I looked over at him “they need you in wardrobe.”

“See you later.” I waved at Ed and walked off the stage and noticed how sad I was that I was no longer on it.

I walked into the dressing room and saw Louis wearing the shirt he was meant to be wearing tonight with a giant red stain on the front.

“Are you trying to kill me?” I asked him as I walked over groaning, “you are such a twat.”

“Sorry.” He bit his lip, “do you not have another one of these?”

“No.” I shook my head, “it was a one off that I made for you.”

“You made it for me?” his face lit up and I glared at him, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.” I sighed stepping back, “I guess I need to go shopping for a replacement this afternoon.”

“I love you?” he offered as I grabbed my bag.

“You better.” I mumbled as I walked out the door.

xxxx


“Alright.” I walked in and saw Harry pacing up and down looking like he was about to throw up, “Louis you have a new shirt.”

“You’re a god.” He grinned.

“B.” Harry grabbed my arm and I raised an eyebrow at him, “my mum is here.”

“Right.” I nodded.

“Can you go distract her?” he asked, “I’m freaking out about tonight and I can’t handle her fussing around me.”

“Harry,” I started, “why are you asking me this and not Taylor?”

“My mum loves you.” He sighed, “please Blair.”

“Does she not like Taylor?” I asked raising an eyebrow and he narrowed his eyes at me, “shocking. Alright. Fine. Only because I love your mum.”

“Thank you.” He looked relieved and I rolled my eyes.

“I brought something back with me that might help.” I bit my lip and he furrowed his eyebrows together, “I thought you might be like this and I got it pre release and I was going to put it on in the dressing room cause I wanted to see it but you look like you need it more than me.”

He looked confused as I rambled whilst looking in my bag and pulling out a DVD. Not just any DVD but the Coldplay 2012 Live Tour DVD.

“How did you get this?” he grabbed it out of my hands.

“I know people.” I shrugged, “watch it. It’ll calm you down, we both know that.”

“Thanks.” He said quietly as he ran his hands over the case.

I shrugged before walking away and hanging up Louis shirt. I sighed as I pushed my phone into my pocket before walking out in search of Harry’s mum Anne. I spotted her in the cafeteria making tea.

“Hello.” I grinned as I walked towards her.

“Blair!” she beamed putting the cup down and pulling me into a hug, “oh how are you?”

“I’m alright.” I smiled pulling back, “are you? Today is big huh?”

“I’m a bundle of nerves I don’t know how Harry is handling it so well!” she exclaimed and I held back my laughter, “do you know where he is?”

“I just saw him and he told me to come find you.” I smiled, “he’s probably busy doing something.”

“How are the two of you?” she asked and the glint in her eye hinted that she wanted the answer to be better than it was.

“I don’t know why you’d want to watch it.” Taylor’s voice cut through the cafeteria noise.

“It was relaxing me.” Harry shrugged whilst being dragged along by his girlfriend.

“Harry!” his mum beamed and Taylor stopped short at seeing Anne with her hand holding mine.

“Mum.” He shifted awkwardly as he walked over Taylor trailing behind her, “hey Blair.”

“Harry.” I nodded, “Taylor.”

“I was just asking Blair how you two were.” His mum told him and Taylor looked awkward.

“This is my girlfriend Taylor,” he ignored his mum, “mum this is Taylor.”

“Pleasure I’m sure.” She pursed her lips together and eyed Taylor up and down.

“It’s lovely to meet you.” Taylor smiled, “Harry always talks about you.”

“Well I am his mum.” Anne chuckled.

Harry was looking at me and jerking his head to the side as his mum continued to eye up his girlfriend. He wanted me to take her away from Taylor but I was enjoying this way too much.

“Not watching the DVD anymore?” I asked him and Taylor pursed her lips together.

“DVD?” Anne asked looking between Harry and I.

“I got the new Coldplay DVD to get Harry, the boys and I pumped up for the concert.” I told her, “mostly for Harry and me though. Best concert I’ve ever been to I think.”

“You two went to see Coldplay together?” Taylor asked and Harry looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him whole.

“They did everything together dear,” Anne rolled her eyes, “they were attached at the hip. I’m still at a loss as to why they broke up.”

My jaw dropped. He hadn’t told her. I narrowed my eyes at him and he bit his lip and looked at the floor. Of course he hadn’t told her. He’d hate for her to not see him as her golden boy.

“He’s never spoken about it to me either.” Taylor told her.

“Well you’re only new.” Anne dismissed and I bit back my laughter.

Taylor bit her lip and looked at Harry who avoided looking at her. It was clear that Anne was obviously not going to be approving of Taylor anytime soon.

“Don’t you two need to be getting ready for the show?” Anne asked Harry and I.

“I should probably make sure everything is lined up right.” I nodded.

Harry twitched as he tried to decide what he should be doing. He obviously didn’t want to leave Taylor with his mum and he was looking at me like I was his get out clause.

“Why don’t you show my mum around Blair?” he looked at me hopefully and I chuckled.

“Sure,” I turned to Anne, “would you like to see where all the magic starts?”

Taylor snorted and I narrowed my eyes at her. I was doing them both a favour, I had things I needed to be doing but here I was saving Harry Styles ass, I really needed to learn how to be better at saying no to him.

“That sounds great,” she smiled and as we went to walk away she looked over her shoulder, “are you not joining us Harry?”

“I have some pre show rituals to do.” He told her awkwardly

“You are not watching that DVD.” I heard Taylor tell him.

“She’s delightful huh?” Anne raised an eyebrow at me and I giggled, “she’s not got a patch on you.”

“She makes Harry happy.” I shrugged

“You make him happy.” She told me and I laughed.

“Not anymore.” I shrugged, “we’re moving on.”

“I wish you weren’t” she sighed, “he doesn’t look at that girl like he used to look at you.”

“You said yourself, she’s new.” I pointed out.

“She doesn’t look like the type of girl who would hang out with Harry and his friends. She’s one of those girls that would keep him to herself.” Anne sighed, “Harry needs someone who will share him even if she doesn’t want to.”

“Maybe Taylor is like that, I don’t know her very well.” I shrugged.

“I know her type Blair, she wouldn’t drive him home for a surprise one weekend like you used to.” She smiled softly, “she wouldn’t see our home like her second home like you used.”

“Maybe she will.” I shrugged.

“Why don’t you know her very well? Is she not around a lot?” Anne asked and I snorted, “so she is?”

“She’s around.” I nodded pushing open a door, “we just don’t connect.”

“That’s because she knows you’re the love of Harry’s life.” Anne told me a satisfied smile on her face. I rolled my eyes.

“This is the dressing room.” I told her, “these are all the clothes the boys will be wearing tonight.”

I gave her a little tour as she continued to point out all the reasons why Taylor was wrong for Harry and how she was no good. I was still so angry at Harry for everything he had been saying recently but I was enjoying listening to Anne speak badly of Taylor. I was relieved that Taylor would not be taking my place in Anne's affections, that I still had that part of Harry's life. She kept making me laugh and I realised that I had forgotten just how much I loved Harry’s mum.

xxxx


“Come on Haz,” Niall clapped his hand on Harry’s back, “it’ll be fine.”

“I’ve played here before and you’ll be okay.” Taylor waved her hand dismissing any need for nerves. “no need to be nervous.”

I looked down trying to hide the small smile on my face, that was the last thing Harry wanted to hear. He needed to be held, he needed to be whispered inspiring thoughts and Taylor obviously had no idea.

“I might throw up.” He declared pacing back and forth.

“Just not on your clothes right?” I grinned at him and he rolled his eyes.

“I’ll be careful.” He told me as he continued to wear a hole in the carpet, “I can’t do this.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Taylor leant against the wall, “it’s just another concert.”

“I might pass out.” He pretended like he hadn’t heard her but I knew he had, “this isn’t normal. I might need a doctor, I can feel my heart beating.”

“Good that means you’re still alive.” I laughed and he stopped walking.

“No it’s stopped now.” He looked a little peaky.

Sighing and deciding that I had had enough of Harry looking like he was about to throw up or pass out I strode up to Harry and put my hands on both his shoulders forcing him to face me. He stared at me and his expression softened.

“Remember what Chris Martin said he stole from Bruce Springsteen? Tonight could be someone’s first concert or it could be someone’s last.” I said softly and he nodded smiling slightly as I leant up and whispered into his ear, “give them hell Styles.”

“Chris Martin didn’t say that.” An amused smile was on his lips.

“No. I did.” I grinned, “you’ll be amazing Haz, you were born for this.”

“I wasn’t.” he shook his head.

“God Styles what do you want me to say?” I asked, “do you want me to inflate that ego of yours even more?”

“It might help.” His smirk contradicted the small voice he was using.

“I’m not your hype girl.” I rolled my eyes, “just channel your inner Chris Martin.”

“My inner Chris Martin.” He nodded and I stepped away as he started trying to pump himself up.

“You did good kid.” Zayn grinned at me as I walked back to the railing.

“He was going to mess up if he went on stage like that.” I shrugged running my fingers over the change of clothes for the boys, “he’d always regret it.”

“How did you know what to say?” he cocked his eyebrow at me.

“It’s Harry.” I shrugged.

“You always know what to say to him.” Niall said from behind me and I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t you boys have Madison Square Garden to perform?” I asked and they chuckled.

I turned around and Taylor was glaring at me but when I looked at Harry and for the first time today he was looking fine. He was bouncing up and down and getting himself pumped up and I decided that Taylor could hate on me all she wanted as long as Harry was okay, even if I did hate him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Love a bit of Anne.

I've been thinking about Blair and Zayn and I can't decide if it would be a good idea, would Zayn ever do that to Harry? I also don't think Harry would ever forgive the pair of them. I don't know. Part of me thinks it might cross the one direction bro code.

Harry and Blair were nice to each other in this :)

Peace.Love.WhyIsItStillSoCold?