Sequel: First Date
Status: COMPLETE! At last!

I'll Never Be Good Enough

Chapter 2

I woke up with a start. I breathed in and out steadily, looking around the bus. I saw Alex in the opposite bunk, sleeping soundly.

"Jack, it's silent and dark. No one can see what you're doing." The voice said.

You want me to cut?

"Yes."

I got my blade out from under my pillow and scraped it gently along my shoulder, leaving a small trail of blood.

"More Jack."

As requested, I applied more pressure to the shiny blade and I felt pain radiating from my left shoulder as more blood leaked out.

Do you want more?

"Yes."

I moved my blade further along my shoulder, near my neck and then dragged it harshly down my arm. I gasped in pain.

Is that enough?

"Yes Jack."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Jack! Jack! Wake up!" Someone yelled.

I muttered unintelligibly into my pillow.

"Come on Jack, wake up!" They yelled again.

I flapped my left hand at the source of the annoying sound. I said, "Go away."

Their hand gripped mine firmly and yanked the sleeve up.

My eyes snapped open and I tried to pull my arm away. Fucking hell.

"Jack?" He said, his brown eyes on my face.

I pushed my black hair out of my eyes. I rubbed my eyes with my right hand.

"Yeah?"

"What - what's this?" Alex said worriedly.

I pulled my arm out of his grip and stood up, letting the sleeve cover my cut up.

"Nothing." I replied.

"That is not nothing Jack!" He exclaimed heatly, pointing at my arm, "There's obviously something wrong! Jack, tell me, please."

"So, Alex has found out, has he?"

Yes, no thanks to you.

"Well, that's what happens when you're lazy and useless. To be honest, I'm surprised he cares at all."

Is that true, that I'm useless and lazy?

"Of course it is. Why would I lie to you?"

You would never lie to me.

"Exactly."

"Jack?"

"Yes Alex?" I said.

"What happened then? You just spaced out."

I don't think Alex would respond well to me telling him that the voice in my head was telling me to cut myself and that I was clearly obeying it.

"Sorry."

"Tell me what's wrong Jack, so I can help. Please." He begged.

"Nothing's wrong Alex. Honestly. I'm fine."

"Yes, you're fine."