Higher Than My Expectations

Bulls In The Bronx

I fell asleep in my bunk, today had absolutely knackered me out. *yawn*

I woke up to the sound of breaks screeching. I jolted up and hit my head on the top of the bunk; I rolled out clutching my head and headed towards the front of the bus.
''Jesus Christ guys, what was that all about?''
Everyone was rushing out of the door and round to the front, ''Guys?! What happened?!'' I shouted after them.
''We hit a kid, or an animal or something'' The panic was clear across David's face. He was white as a ghost.
''What?'' My hands dropped to my sides as I ran out of the bus, pushing past everyone to see what or who, we had actually hit.
Kyle was crouching over a young girl on the floor.
''Is she conscious?'' I knelt down next to him.
''Yeah, but I'm not getting much of an answer from her''
I wiped a few loose strands out of her face and a few pieces of gravel from the road off of her forehead.
''Honey, can you hear me? I'm Lexi and this is Kyle,'' I gently took her hand '' I need you to squeeze my hand so I know you can hear me. Can you do that for me?''
She stirred a little and squeezed my hand before coughing weakly.
''That's brilliant. Now we need you to stay still until the ambulance comes okay,'' I looked up at David and stared at him until he clicked in to what I was saying and pulled his phone from his pocket and dialling 911. ''Can you tell me what your name is sweetheart?''
She moved her head a little and whispered something that wasn't quite audible, she coughed a little and repeated herself ''Amy''
''Okay Amy, well the ambulance will be here soon okay? You're being really brave. This might be a bit of a stupid question, but do you have a phone with you?''
''In my pocket'' Her eyes closed slightly and she sighed heavily.
''Okay, I'll try and get it out without hurting you alright, keep your eyes open for me.'' I moved her softly and reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. I had decided she must be no more than 13 or 14.
I unlocked her phone and went through her contacts for her parent/carers number, to no avail I sighed and sat down.
''Do you have a number of someone we can call so they know what's happened?'' I looked up at her and scanned her face as the question processed through her head.
''Erm, my sister Jade'' I recognised her voice, even if it was a little dry and croaky.
I flipped her phone back open and typed in 'Jade' before hitting the green button and calling her. The boring drone of the dialling tone rang out into the cool night air and it clicked into connection.
''Hello?'' I hear Jade talk.
I passed the phone over to Kyle as I recognised the voice.
''Hello? Amy is that you? Look if you're trying to play a joke on me then forget it''
Kyle coughed and then spoke up '' No, I'm Kyle. I'm afraid your sister's been involved in an accident'' He looked up at me and shrugged, obviously unsure of what to say.
''What do you mean? What sort of accident?'' The panic was dominant in her voice.
''Well we were driving down the road,'' he paused as the ambulance came to halt at the corner and a couple of paramedics ran out from the vehicle '' in our tour bus and...'' she cut him off;
''So she's been hit?! Where is she now? Is she going to hospital?''
We could hear her scurrying around grabbing keys and such like
''Well the ambulance has just got here so they're taking her now'' He stood up to let the Paramedics sort Amy out.
''Okay, well can you make sure someone stays with her? Was she on her own?! She shouldn't have been! She was with a friend!'' A door slammed shut on the other end of the phone and then a car started up.
''Well someone ran away after the accident so I don't know, and I'll make sure someone stays with her.''
''Promise?''
''I promise''
They said goodbye and hung up the phone.
He handed it to me '' You're going with her''.
''Why?!'' As much I would want to I couldn't face Jade. Not after everything she did.
''You just are okay! End of.''