Status: First main; Very slowly active

Hutch or Peck?

Chapter 6

After we arrived back home, I changed into this not saying a word to one another.

Sam went into our usual car, but apparently a surprise awaited me after we went outside. Hutch was in his car with his driver waiting for me dressed in the same clothes he was in earlier. My footsteps stopped as my eyes drifted habitually to my sister.

She didn’t speak and continued walking the path to our car as our mom came out of the house locking the door behind her. When she turned and saw Hutch, she spoke forcing out a smile as well as kindness.

“Josh! So nice to see you again!” she got out, but once she passed me, she whispered.

“Don’t mess things up with that boy. He’s going to go places,” she threatened as she continued smiling.

“Mom, I’m not like that. And second, he’s just a friend. Third, even if things got to that level, I’m not interested in his money. You know Sam and I are both like that,” I retorted just as quietly, but I didn’t smile.

“Just keep him hooked,” she concluded before strutting to the car with Sam in it.

I ran a hand through my hair as I approached Hutch in his car and the driver came out, opening the door for me. I thanked him and got into the car, but Hutch wanted a hug at the very least. So when the driver opened the door, Hutch got out and embraced me in a comforting hug. My eyes closed as I inhaled his scent. When he pulled away, a big smile covered his lips although his sunglasses obscured his eyes, I could tell that he was still excited to see me.

We got into the car finally and went in our separate directions, but not without chatter along the way.

“How was your walk?” he asked as our car took off.

“I’ve had better walks,” I replied getting a slight chuckle out of him, but stared at me.

“What happened?” he asked instantly.

I explained what happened and his response shocked me.

“Must have been something important if Sam didn’t answer your question,” he said, but his eyes showed me that he was wondering why himself.

“I know. I’m not used to her not telling me things, you know? I mean, there are things I don’t want to know too much in detail like things that happened between her and Sean, but other important things like feelings have always been expressed. It’s unusual for us to be angry at one another, you know?” I rambled staring finally at Hutch seeing his sunglasses off now.

His eyes were locked with mine for almost a minute before he looked away.

“You guys are siblings. No offense, but it was bound to happen eventually,” he replied gently.

“I know, but I never expected it to happen over these circumstances,” I admitted.

“True, but you guys are getting older and there are some things I’m sure that you won’t be comfortable your sister does and vice versa. Just take it one day at a time. Things will work out with you two. You’ll see,” he said wrapping an arm around me in a side hug.

I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes as I thought about his words. Although the truth didn’t help the situation, it felt good getting my feelings out to someone.

“Thanks,” I said in a low tone, but I knew Hutch heard me.

“Don’t thank me. I’m here to listen,” he said with a short laugh.

“That’s what friends are for, right?” I asked staring up at him with a smile.

I saw his smile falter slightly at my statement, but he smiled nonetheless.

“Yep!” he answered enthusiastically.

Suddenly, however, he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on my forehead sending shivers throughout my body, but I couldn’t move. Something didn’t want me to.

He pulled away and rested his head on mine and stared forward for the rest of the ride. My mind raced from that point on until we got to the studio.

~~~~~

-Meanwhile in the other car-

My mom piled into the car after Mel went into Hutch’s car and she began to speak as soon as the door shut behind her.

“I hope she doesn’t mess things up with that boy. He’s cute and would be perfect as her first boyfriend,” she said putting two fingers to her nose as though she were annoyed.

“Mom, Mel isn’t like that and neither am I. Besides, they’re just friends,” I retorted putting my sunglasses on.

“Please. I know about you and Sean hanging out from time to time. The least you could do is date the poor boy,” she said with an eye roll.

“Sean and I are not together and he definitely isn’t a poor boy,” I said heatedly.

“He is for trying to get your attention. You two have been seeing each other for-what-almost a year now? As long as you don’t write songs about him, I’m sure he’ll be fine,” she said harshly.

“What’s wrong with my songs?” I asked turning my head towards her.

“Your songs show that you care too much when you get hurt and when you’re happy. You expose too much to the public that you care about what’s said to you or about you,” she said colder than the previous time.

“You didn’t say that when I made my first album. Don’t flip the script just because of the type of press my songs cause or the fact that Mel is in the industry,” I got out trying not to raise my voice.

Mom always hated the fact that whatever I did affected Mel, but only when Mel got into modeling and stuff while I took the acting and musical route.

“What you do affects your sister. She keeps to herself almost all of the time and when she does go out, she comes back on time. It’s like when she goes with you, you two stay out late, don’t bother calling and like worrying me to death,” she said as though she cared.

“That’s bull, Mom! When I began going out to places with Mel, you encouraged us to stay out, but when it became a regular weekend thing, you got pissed. It’s not like you can’t go places! You’re an adult. Also, as for the worrying thing, don’t bother cause I know the only thing that’s really worrying you is whether or not you still have two sources of income in the morning so you can always have booze the next day,” I ranted for the first time.

And for the first time, my mom didn’t have anything to say initially after I’d make a point. This was the first time I’d mention anything about her alcohol or the fact that I knew she was drunk from time to time. At first, I thought my words had hit home like she would come to the realization that everything she’s done for the past 3 years was destroying our family-that she needed to change for her daughters.

Unfortunately, I was slapped with reality as she took her sunglasses off and stared at me coldly with her brown eyes.

“So things come to light now? You’ve known all this time that I drink?” she asked.

“It wasn’t hard to figure out. You didn’t exactly make it discreet,” I answered calmly.

“You know what, Samantha? I don’t care that you know about my drinking because this-,” she began pulling out three canteens of liquor out of her purse, “is what keeps me going every day. You’re right. I do only care about this because it's the only thing worth living for. You think you’ve seen a dark side of me when I drink? Watch how worse I’m going to treat you since you said what you did,” she concluded opening one of the canteens and began drinking it.

I tried stopping her, but she pushed me away causing me to hit my head on the door on my side of the car.

“Don’t even think about saying a word to your sister about this. If you do, I’ll make sure that you won’t be able to work in this city again,” she threatened.

“What? You can’t do that!” I got out, holding a hand to my head as it began to hurt some.

“I can and I will if you tell her what happened,” she replied easily.

The car came to a halt outside of the studio and the driver came out, opening the door for her. She got out not struggling or anything. She put the canteen back in and pulled out some gum. Taking a few steps, she made me believe she had nothing else to say, but turned back and stuck her head down in front of the door.

“Aren’t you coming?” she asked with a smirk on her lips.

Entirely livid, I bit my lip, but nodded and got out on my side. We entered the building as the only thought that went through my mind was leaving.

I had to leave and it had to be within the next year or I’m going to kill her.
♠ ♠ ♠
VERY important chapter.

What do you guys think of the girl's mother now?

I didn't want to make her this cold, but when I got to Sam's POV section, something told me to go with it and I did.

Anyways, please don't forget to recommend, comment, and subcribe.