‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

One

"Shit, Zoe! Are you trying to give Max a heart attack?” Sean asked before letting out a low whistle. “You look amazing,” he said appreciatively as she did a slow turn. Her light dove grey Pnina Tornia sheath dress was anything but ordinary bridal. The bodice was a low v-neck and embroidered with beads all over sheer lace, and the beading detail cascaded down the hips of the flowing silk chiffon from its drop waist. From the back of the neck, an elaborately beaded leaf detail skimmed down her otherwise exposed back.

“Yeah?” she asked nervously.

“Yeah. You look sexy as hell. Besides, have I ever lied to you?”

“No; that’s one of the many reasons why you’re my best friend,” she replied. Her smile turned devilish. “And B-T-W, yes, I am trying to give Max a heart attack. Have you seen my shoes?”

Sean chuckled as Zoe slipped into the heels. The patent leather bubblegum pink Louboutins were sky high, just like Zoe liked them, and covered in spikes.

“Very bridal,” Sean teased.

“Totally me."

"Completely you,” Sean agreed. “Has Justin seen you yet?" he asked. "I mean, no way he's walking you down the aisle like this."

Zoe smiled smugly. "Too bad for him I already married Talbot and this is just a vow renewal and reception for our friends and his family. And if he tries to bail, well then I still have my man of honor to give me away."

Sean grinned. "Good old Sean Avery; always there for you."
She crossed the room and put her arms around his waist and hugged him. "Thank you for being here. And for standing up with me as my man of honor."

"Where else would I be?"

"Anywhere."

"My best friend isn't anywhere. She's right here and I wouldn't miss this for anything."

"Love you, Aves."

"I love you too, Zoe," he replied, kissing the top of her head.

"Don't mess up my hair!" Zoe shrieked.

Sean chuckled, smoothing the soft curls that were all brushed to one side and pinned back softly. "Your hair is fine, drama queen."

She stuck her tongue out at him. "I don't know why I'm friends with you sometimes." Zoe picked up a boutonnière and pinned it to Sean's Prada suit.

"Your life would be boring without me. Besides, who would keep me on my toes?"

"You need a girlfriend."

"No ones put up with my shit since Hilary."

"I liked her."

"She liked you too."

"But you fucked up, like always."

"Like always," Sean agreed. "So thank you for always putting up with my shit."

"Anytime. As long as you keep putting up with mine."

Sean laughed. "Anytime."

There was a soft knock at the door and Zoe called for them to enter. Justin's head peeked around the door jam. "What? You couldn't wear orange?" He asked as he came into the room. Zoe rolled her eyes at her brother. "You look good, sis. Too good but that's Max's problem now. It's his teammates that will be leering at you."

"And the Penguins and the Rangers," Sean added.

Zoe approached Justin, pinning a boutonnière to his lapel also. "You look great too, little brother." She straightened his tie and then hugged him. "Thank you for walking me down the aisle today."

"Since I missed the first go round," Justin teased and Zoe blushed. He chuckled. "Zoe, I'm not mad about that. I'm glad you and Max worked it out and are happy. It was great of him to do this for you."

Max had started planning the event without Zoe's knowledge. He still wanted to make up for the two months they had spent apart and give Zoe the wedding day of her dreams after they had eloped spur of the moment six months earlier. He had let her in on the secret once the venue, caterer, and date was set in stone so she could buy a dress and make the rest of the plans for the day.

Snow breezed into the room, hastily apologizing for her tardiness and darting behind a folding partition, changing quickly into her cream colored dress. She stepped out and slipped into her heels. Zoe handed her a single peach calla lily, picking up the other on the table for herself. Justin offered his arm to Snow and they led the way from the room.

“Ready?” Sean asked, offering his arm to Zoe.

“Ready,” Zoe affirmed.

~*~*~


Elise Levesque stood near the bar, watching the happy couple dance with each other. Elise smiled to herself, not sure that she had ever seen Max as happy as he was when Zoe was in the room. Her family and the Talbot’s had been neighbors for as long as anyone could remember and their parents were close. Elise was an only child and the Talbot brothers were the surrogate brothers she never wanted, protecting her in school and kicking ex-boyfriends asses that did her wrong. She was always the level headed one when the brothers were up to no good. When Max had called her nearly three years ago to say he had met someone, and that he was serious about her, she had nearly fallen off the bar stool she had been on from laughing so hard. When Max had called to say that he had proposed, she was flabbergasted. But that first summer, Max brought Zoe home and Elise had been the first person Max introduced her to after his family. Max had talked incessantly about Zoe and while Elise felt like she already knew the other woman, she still was not sure what to expect. Zoe was friendly and incredibly welcoming of another woman in her fiance’s life, not at all oft put by her. She knew instantly when she met Zoe that she was the person that completed Max. People always say that some people are just made for each other and that was exactly what Max and Zoe were.

“Drink?” the male voice smiled down at her. Elise peered up and returned the smile, searching for the name of the gentleman before her.

“It’s Justin,” he answered the unspoken question in her eyes. “I’m Zoe’s brother.”

“Justin,” she repeated. “I’m so sorry; I'm terrible with names and I feel as if Max has introduced me to a hundred people in the two days I’ve been here.”

He smiled. “Elise, right?” She nodded. “Zoe mentioned that you’re staying at her place?”

“Yes. Your sister’s house is incredible.”

Justin grinned. “She does alright for herself.”

“That she does. I admit I was nervous when Max told me he had met someone, you just never know what those girls are really after and well, everyone knows Max’s reputation, but after meeting your sister, and seeing her life in Charlotte now, I know I should have never worried.”

“They do love each other, even if she is a Rangers fan.”

Elise smiled. “Can’t convert her, still?”

“I think she loves both teams equally. I appreciate that she didn’t lose her loyalty for a team she has followed since middle school for a guy, even if she did marry him.”

“Where you at their wedding? Max told me it was very low key.”

Justin shook his head. “Only Sean. He pulled all the strings to make that happen.”

“Somebody say my name?” Sean drawled, sauntering over and leaning against the bar close to where Elise stood. “Justin, who’s your friend?” Justin rolled his eyes.

"Elise, have you met Sean?" He asked. "He is Zoe's best friend."

Sean checked Elise out shamelessly and openly. He had noticed her from across the room and made his way to her when he saw Justin approach her. Her black cocktail dress clung to her curves in the most tantalizing way and even though it didn’t show nearly as much skin as Sean would’ve liked, he couldn’t stop wondering about what lay underneath. Her brown hair was swept up in some elaborate updo. He wondered what it would feel like running through his fingers.

"You're the man of honor, no?" Elise said politely to him.

He grasped Elise's hand in his and kissed it softly. "That's me, man of honor. Sean Avery."

"I doubt very seriously there is anything honorable about you Mr. Avery," Elise said as she pulled her hand away from Sean. "I believe I saw you coming out of the coat check not 15 minutes ago with someone else's date." Justin stifled a laugh, coughing into his hand. Sean shot him a look before turning back to Elise and shrugging nonchalantly.

"I was helping her find her contact. Now, how about a dance?"

She laughed lightly. "No thank you."

"Come on, Elise," he said teasingly. "Just one little dance." He ran his fingers up her bare arm.

Max stalked up and pulled Sean’s hand from Elise. "Hands off, Avery," Max said gruffly. Zoe grabbed Sean's hand and dragged him with her to the dance floor.

"What do you think you're doing?" Zoe demanded as she danced with Sean.

"What?" He asked innocently.

"Elise is one of Max's oldest friends. You are not allowed to pull any of your tricks with her. Do you understand?"

"Yes, mother," Sean sighed. Zoe punched him in the arm.
"This is one thing I will side with Max over you on and I will let him beat your ass."

"Pfft! Talbot couldn't kick my ass if I was blindfolded with both hands tied behind my back." He pawed at the air in front of him in an imitation of a girl fight. Zoe tried to bite back a laugh, failing as her loud laugh escaped, drawing curious stares from the others around them.

"Sean! I'm serious! Elise is really nice and not your type. Just don't, okay?"

"Okay," he promised. They resumed their dance and when the song ended, Sean deposited her back with Max and wandered away to talk to Hank and some of the other Rangers players that were there.

“Who was that girl?” Hank asked.

“You don’t miss much, do you?” Sean asked. Hank smiled and shook his head. Sean sighed. “Her name is Elise and apparently she is a very dear friend of Max's. I have been warned.”

“And that is going to stop you?”

“Yep. Zoe said no.”

Hank laughed. “How is it that the woman who is married still has you whipped?”

Sean scowled. “I’m not whipped. I respect my best friends opinions. And when she says hands off and means it, then I listen.”

“Whipped.”

“Fuck you. Zoe is scary when you cross her and I am not crossing her over a girl. I’d rather keep my best friend than have a quick romp in the coat closet.”

“Didn’t you already have one of those today?”

Sean rolled his eyes. “You really don’t miss anything.”

Hank grinned. “Goalie magic.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So it begins! In hope y'all enjoy this. Comments appreciated, never required.