‹ Prequel: Stay in Your Arms
Sequel: Last Time
Status: Completed

Diamonds in the Sky

Two

Sean stumbled into Zoe’s home at 1:30 that morning, cheap perfume and tequila wafting off of him. He made his way to the kitchen, flipping on the light as he went. A startled squeak came from the direction of the fridge. Sean stopped short.

“Fuck you’re hot,” he said aloud. He could see the pink blush deepen across her face. Sean crossed the room and slid onto a barstool at the kitchen island. “Nice shirt,” he teased. Elise tugged the hem of the old Penguins shirt lower and heard Sean chuckle.

“That’s not gonna cover your sweet ass.”

Elise wished desperately she had put on a pair of sweats, anything, over top of her boy shorts. But she had a sudden urge for something sweet and knowing she’d find something in the kitchen, she ventured out, not expecting anyone else up in the house. She had not counted on Sean coming in.

“What are you doing here?” she finally managed.

Sean grinned lazily. “I’m staying here. I always stay here when I visit.”

“Did you just come home for the evening?”

“Yes. Wanna hear all about it?”

Elise frowned. “No thank you. I was looking for something sweet to eat.”

“I can help you with that,” Sean leered.

“I'm sure you’d like that.”

Sean stood and made his way around the island, pinning Elise’s back to the fridge between his arms. She sucked in a breath and her eyes widened. His face dipped close to hers. “I know you would like that.” He ran the pad of his thumb across her bottom lip. “I’ve been told I'm amazing.”

“Your ego is astounding, Mr. Avery.”

“I like the way you call me Mr. Avery. Can you shout that when I make you scream at the height of your orgasm?”

“If you could just move your arm,” Elise prodded him.

“Sure, no problem,” Sean replied, moving one arm away from the wall. She moved one step to her right before Sean wrapped the arm around her waist and pulled her against him. “You fit nicely,” he whispered in her ear, pressing his body against hers.

Elise reached out and grabbed Sean by the balls. "You do not get to talk to me like this. You need to learn how to talk to a woman, some manners."

"I like the way you handle me," Sean smirked.

Elise's hand dropped and she threw her hands in the air. She pushed Sean away from her. "You are incorrigible!"

"You like me."

Elise snorted. "You wish, Mr. Avery. You're lucky I don't tell Max about this. I bet you don’t talk to Zoe like this."

Sean visibly paled. "If you could not mention this to Zoe, that'd be great."

Elise studied him and then giggled softly. "You're scared of Zoe."

He scoffed. "I'm not scared of Zoe. She's just...scary when she's pissed."

"And?"

"And she told me to leave you alone."

"You don't follow direction well, do you?"

Sean reached around Elise for Zoe's cookie jar. He reached in and grabbed two cookies, handing one to Elise. "Following directions has never been one of my strong suits."

"Tell me about you and Zoe."

"Tell me about you and Max," Sean challenged.

Elise smiled softly. "I've known the Talbot family my whole life. I'm a month younger than Max and we've always been close.”

“Dated?”

“No. All three are like brothers; would’ve been weird. Not that Max didn’t try.”

“Of course. He is Max Talbot.”

“Oui,” Elise said with a small giggle. “Cela est vrai. This is true. He wouldn’t be Max without trying at least once.”

“Were your parents here too?”

“No, they couldn’t make the trip. I wouldn't have missed it for anything though. I like what Zoe brings out in him. They're good for each other."

"They're definitely good for each other, that's for sure."

"When they broke up this last time, Max told me she was with you, that you looked out for her?"

Sean nodded. "She's always been there for me; I'll always be there for her if she needs me."

"How long have you been friends?"

"We met in 2003 but it feels like we've known each other forever. She saved my ass from a crazy chick and she's been saving my ass ever since. I was there the weekend she met Max and I had never seen a guy have the effect on her that he did. It was surprising but good. I wasn't happy that it was Talbot in the beginning but he makes her happy so I'm happy for them."

"Max likes you."

"Excuse me?"

"He didn't know what to make of Zoe having a best friend that was a guy in the beginning but he likes you, trusts you implicitly with her. If something happened to him, he'd feel safe with the knowledge that you'd be there. You love her.”

“She’s my best friend; of course I love her. Don’t you love Max?”

“Like a brother. I’m not in love with him though.” Sean’s eyes bored into her. “You are in love with Zoe, aren’t you?” Sean growled lowly and turned away from Elise. She reached out, touched his arm tentatively.

“I’m not in love with Zoe,” Sean said adamantly, shaking her hand off of him.

“Max doesn’t have a clue; he’s such a guy when it comes to that kind of stuff. But I see it and I’ve known you for half a day.” He spun on Elise and grabbed her possessively in his arms and kissed her.

“Does that feel like I'm in love with my best friend to you?” he sneered, grinding his hips into her, his erection firm against her. Her eyes widened in surprise. “I love Zoe, for all I’ve ever made her put up with and everything she’s ever made me put up with. But I’m not in love with her. I know I can’t have her and I accepted that. I pushed her back to him. If I was in love with her, why would I do that?”

“You want her happy, Sean. Its admirable really.”

“You are the most maddening woman I have met since, well, since Zoe!”

Elise grinned. “Glad to know I am in such good company,” she remarked. Sean pulled her to him again and kissed her, slowly, taking the time to taste her. He smirked when she kissed him back, her mouth opening and her tongue pushing into his mouth. A soft mewing escaped her lips and Sean groaned, running his hands down her sides and settling onto her ass. She pulled away from him abruptly and moved out of his reach.

“I have an early flight in the morning,” Elise said softly. “Thanks for the cookie, Mr. Avery,” she teased. She smiled and turned from the room. Her heart pounded in her chest and she wanted to run up the stairs but she took them slowly, calmly, as if she was completely unaffected by him. She reached her door, slipping back inside and closing the door behind her, sinking back against it and letting out a held breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi readers! Thanks for the comment love. I love to hear from you, whether you love it or hate it. I do hope you're loving it though. :)