Status: I'm Back

So Much for My Happy Ending

And Time Is Frozen

“I don’t like it.”

“You don’t have to like it Jeremy, but in the end I’m still going back home.” I sighed in frustration and dropped the last of my clothing into my bag. I’d been packing my stuff up when Jeremy had busted up into the room shouting about how I shouldn’t go home. Needless to say, I was irritated.

“Your dad doesn’t even want you to come home! He said it himself on the phone!” He glared at me and seized my wrist. Underneath his anger I could see the worry. I understood why he didn’t want me to go home. I really did. I just think my dad needs me right now.

I pulled my arm gently from his grip and touched his cheek, “Jeremy, I’ll be fine.”

“How can you be sure?”

“I can’t. You are just going to have to trust me.”

“I do trust you. It’s Matt that I don’t trust.”

I shook my head at him. I turned away from him and made my way into the bathroom that was attached to the guest bedroom. Jeremy followed at my heels and stood in the doorway watching as I packed up my stuff.

I let my mind wander to my family. I was glad I was heading home. I needed this. The situation wasn’t going to get better with me being away from my family. I needed this week and a half to cool off and get my mind straight. Now that that has happened, I need to focus on getting my family straight.

‘Your family consists of Jeremy and the others too.’ I knew this already. Why was I nagging myself in my thoughts? ‘Maybe it’s because you feel guilty for just up and leaving the guys when they housed you?’

That could very possibly be it, but I knew that they hadn’t cared. Family does that for one another. Help each other out when they need it. They picked you up off the ground when things get crazy and you need reminding of the things that are important. It comes in the guidelines of being family. It was a shame that some families don’t seem to understand these guidelines.

I was anxious to get back to my friends. Sure, I saw them at school every day. It wasn’t the same as walking a block to hang with Aleia, or driving another five to get to Papa Gates’ to hang with McKenna. I was contradicting myself, believe me I know. I’m just a walking controversy these days it would seem. I’d come to that conclusion long ago.

“You understand why I don’t want you to go?” Jeremy interrupted my train of thought. I hadn’t realized just how close he was standing to me until just now. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck. I tilted my back and smiled softly up at him.

“Yes, I understand. Do you understand why I’m going?” I questioned.

He nodded his head slowly; I could see the wheels turning behind his eyes. “You have a hero complex. You think Matt needs saving.”

“No.” I disagreed, “I think my Dad is suffering and he needs his daughter there with him. He needs me. He needs Mom, but she obviously doesn’t think so.”

“I just think that you are jumping too quickly to conclusions.” I sighed, my anger slowly bubbling up again.

“How?” I snapped.

“I think you are going to go home and find things are a mess. Some things can’t be fixed, Meagan.” I stared at him in confusion.

“Do you know something that I don’t?” I asked him, “Because if you do, I deserve to know.” He tossed his head back and laughed.

“Thank you for proving my point. You are jumping.” He taunted me. His words were spoken in a soothing way, but I knew it was to anger me.

“Stop it.” I pushed past him and tossed my toiletries bag onto the bed and plopped down on it. I stared up at the ceiling.

‘Some things can’t be fixed.’ What was I going to walk into when I got home? Was it going to be that bad?

I could handle it. I would have to. If not for me, then for my family. I was a big girl, and it was time to put on my big girl panties. If that had come from anyone else, I would have probably gone off saying, “Is that a fat joke.” I mean, I guess if I really wanted to I could say that. I’m pretty sure that would earn me some weird looks. It’s not like he didn’t already know I was crazy.

“Promise me something?” Jeremy asked me. It really sounded more like a demand then it did a request though.

“Anything, that reasonable at least.” I joked and let a goofy smile cross my face.

“If he hits you, or does anything like that… You call me and I’ll personally come get you and kick Matt’s ass. You feel me?” I nodded at him.

It grew quiet. I stared at Jeremy, his eyes held such ferocity; it made me want to look away from him.

Without any warning, I launched myself off of the bed and into his arms. I locked my arms around his waist and buried my face in his chest. His arms came around me and he pulled me closer.

“I’m always gonna be here for you, don’t forget that.” I squeezed my eyes shut tightly to keep the tears that had built up in my eyes from falling.

I pulled away from him and smiled up at him. Our eyes were locked together.

“I’m gonna head out, okay?” He nodded, I turned away and picked up my two bags and headed for the door.

I had gotten out to my car when I was yanked back by Jeremy and the next thing I know he’s kissing me. No, not on the lips, it was so close though that it sent my mind into frenzy. His lips were not even an inch from being fully on mine. They were soft again my cheek and I felt my cheek burn where his lips lie. He pulled away so slowly and I sucked in a deep breath.

“Stay safe.” And with that he was heading back into the house.

As I climbed into the driver seat of the car the only thing I was thinking was, ‘What the actual fuck.’