Status: Yep. Another Sykes story.

They Say

Change your ways.

The next morning, Emerson woke up alone in Oliver's bed. The previous night's events started to fog her memory and she groaned as she covered her face.

She really didn't know where this left them, but knowing Oli she knew he was probably regretting every word said.

Emerson forced herself to sit up, running her hand through her hair. During the night she had shed her jeans and threw on one of Oli's shirts. She now regretted that decision because the scent of him covered her. The girl climbed from his bed and tip-toed out in the hall. The house seemed to be quiet and she question if he left her all alone.

"Good morning."

The girl squealed and placed her hand over her chest as she spun around to face Oliver who must have been in the bathroom when she left his room.

"Thanks for the heart attack!"

A grin hit his lips as his eyes scanned over her quickly, "Sorry, love."

She crossed her arms, now realizing how under dressed she was.

"Just know, I don't care if you don't put clothes on, but the guys are heading ova so..." He stated, trying to fight the urge to just kiss her like he wanted. Why did things seem so much easier at night?

A blush hit her cheeks from his words and he smirked, "Maybe?"

"Shush." She mumbled shoving him lightly and he instantly grabbed her wrists, "Plus, you're making it really hard for me not to touch you."

Her bright eyes met his and the pair seemed to stare at each other for what felt like eternity to the both of them. Oli finally cleared his throat and dropped his hold on her.

"I'll, um, be downstairs..."

Emerson nodded and fled to the boy's room. She needed to talk to Tom asap. He apparently was the only one she could talk to since Heather wasn't up for talking about Oli of all people.

Once Emerson was dressed and fixed her make-up to the best of her ability, she headed down into the now loud living room.

Clearly the boys were already there.

"Ello, love." Matty spoke with a smile from the couch. She waved at the group as her eyes scanned the room for the one boy she needed.

"Where's Tom?" She asked and before anyone could respond, the younger Sykes brother walked in the front door.

"Hello!" He shouted and she chuckled as he patted her head and fell into an empty seat.

"Love, I know Matt is weird, but he isn't going to bite. Sit down will ya?" Tom spoke to her and she rolled her eyes as she took the seat next to him.

The boys chatted and took turns playing some video game as Emerson debated on talking to Tom. Of course she wasn't surprised when he started the conversation.

"What's wrong?" He asked and his blue eyes met hers with concern.

"Can I talk to you later?"

"Um, yeah? But why not now? We can walk outside."

She shook her head no, knowing very well Oli would find that suspecious.

"Oli?" He asked softly and she nodded. The boy groaned and relaxed in his seat, "Of course. Well, I'll volunteer to take you home. Just let me know when you're ready."

She nodded once more and looked back at the group of laughing guys. She allowed an agonizing half an hour to pass before she announced she needed to head home.

Oli nodded dropping his controller and standing from the floor fully prepared to take her home.

"Don't worry mate. I got it." Tom said putting his hand on his brother's shoulder. Oli gave him a look before he looked over at the girl. The fact that she seemed ok with it made him question too much.

"Whateva." He grumbled not liking the idea of them hanging out without him, but what right did he have to say anything when he was the one pushing her away?

"Bye guys." Emerson said, patting Lee's head and he chuckled, "Bye little one."

She waved to the others and Oli stood beside Tom with crossed arms.

"See you later?" She asked Oli and his hard exterior seemed to melt away, "Yeah. I'm sure you will." He whispered and she grinned as she placed her hand on his crossed arms as a small goodbye before following Tom out.

He was never going to be ok with any of this.

Once Emerson was safely in Tom's car and they began the short journey, Tom couldn't take the silence anymore.

"Ok, what happened?"

Emerson breathed in and before she knew it she was spilling her guts to Tom. It of course took the boy off guard simply because she never said much, but she had held so much in for so long she had to tell someone.

Tom just sat there trying to process everything as they parked in front of Heather's place.

"Say something..." She whispered now nervous by his reaction.

"Em, he loves you. Oli loves you. I mean, I know you don't see it like that, but he does. He's just scared. It's what he does. He's had some shitty relationships. Not that he's perfect in them and that's probably makes it worse for him because he knows what he's capable of and he doesn't want to hurt you..."

"But..." She started to say and he cut her off, "But, he'll give in to you. You're his only weakness. You just don't see it yet."

"Please don't tell him I told you all of this."

"I won't, love. Promise."

She nodded and opened the car door.

"Oh and Em?"

The girl turned to look back at the boy, "Yeah?"

"Don't give up on him. I mean it."

"I wasn't planning on it..."

A weak grin hit his lips and she said bye before heading inside just as confused as ever. Thankfully Heather was not home so she had time to think about everything in silence.

Emerson dropped her bag before falling onto the couch. She knew she loved Oli. She hated admitting it to even herself, but she couldn't help but think if trying to get over him would be easier than putting herself through this. Even if Tom believed Oli would change.

How long would that take?

Once Tom got back to Oli's, the look his brother gave him made Tom have to tell him at least something. Simply because he did not look very happy and knowing his brother, his thoughts were worse than reality.

"Why are you looking at me?" Tom questioned and Oli shrugged, "You betta not like her."

Tom laughed, "Yeah? Or what? I mean, you keep telling her you don't want to be with her so what's the issue? But no, I don't like her and she doesn't like me."

"Then why did you offer to take her home?" He asked crossing his arms over his chest. He knew he was acting like a child, but he couldn't help it. Emerson was his. Although it wasn't really stated he figured it was be understood.

"Because she wanted to talk to me."

"About?"

"You're really nosey."

"No, I just don't know why she wouldn't want to talk to me."

"Maybe it's about you."

"Was it?" Oli asked seriously and Tom rolled his eyes before looking at the television which Matt and Lee sat in front of playing some game.

"Yep."

"What bout me?" He mumbled and Tom shrugged, "I'm not telling you."

"Why not?"

"Because I told her I wouldn't and you don't deserve to know."

Oli narrowed his eyes at the boy who now turned to face him, "What? You don't. You don't want to be with her so what I say doesn't matter."

"You know that isn't how it is." He growled and Tom shrugged, "Whateva."

Oli groaned and relaxed his head on the couch. He really hated being in this situation.

"Is she upset with me?" He asked unable to keep quiet.

Tom rolled his eyes, "No she's not. JAre you that stupid? She loves you and if you keep treating her like you do she's going to end up getting tired of it and leaving."

"You act like I'm horrible to her."

"No, it's just, how long do you think she'll stick around if she's never going to be able to be with you?"

"I've told her from the beginning that we weren't going to be anything."

"Easier said than done."

Oli groaned, "Look, all I'm asking is if I need to go talk to her. I don't want her to be upset or mad at me..."

"No, she's fine. Really. I mean, unless you just want to go see her."

"I always want to see her." He grumbled out his confession as he looked back at the television.

"Then go. She only wanted to leave so she could talk to me."

"I don't want to seem clingy."

Tom laughed, "Oh man. The fact that you care about that means you are too far in already."

"Whateva..."

"Go."

"Nope. Not now."

Tom chuckled, "Fine, but we both know you want to and you not doing so just to prove a point is ridiculous."

Oliver rolled his eyes as he crossed his arms over his chest. He knew Tom was right, but he didn't want anyone to know he cared that much.

After an hour or so passed Matty announced that he was leaving and of course tried to drag Oli into it which for once Oli was grateful for.

"I'm going to pick up Heatha. Want to ride with me?" He asked and Oli scoffed, "To see Heatha?"

"No, so you can stay with Emason. I don't like leaving the bird there alone."

Tom smirked from beside Oli and Oli rubbed the back of his neck in thought before giving in of course.

"Ok. Fine."

Matty nodded and Oli forced himself off the couch. Maybe he now was a bit pathetic afterall.

Oli said goodbye to the other guys knowing Tom would just lock up if he left which was questionable.

Once in the car there was little to no surprise in Matty bringing Emerson up.

"When are you going to suck it up and ask her out?"

"Ask who?"

"Oh don't be stupid."

"Neva..." He mumbled looking out the window.

"Why not? Do you really not like her? I mean, she's a brill bird..."

"It isn't that. It's complicated."

"It's only as complicated as you want it to be, mate. You want to be with someone bad enough you'll figure it out." Matty said and Oli let his words settle in.

Maybe Matty was right. Maybe he was complicating everything himself. Which wouldn't be the first time he did so. He was just hard not to when someone he saw as completely out of his league wanted to be with him. If anything, it put him under a lot of pressure that he didn't know if he could handle or not.

Once at the girls house Matty knocked once before letting them in. He had clearly crossed the line of doing so ages ago.

"Heatha?!" He called out as Oli slipped past him, scanning the room for the one girl he wanted to see.

"She's in her room." Heather's voice took over the silence and Oli glanced over at the girl who was grabbing up her bag and avoiding eye contact with him. Oli didn't bother to respond just walked to the familiar doorway.

He knocked lightly and once she responded for him to walk in, he took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Hey you." She smiled from the bed where she sat indian style with a book in hand.

"Hey to you as well."

She shut her book and he slid onto the bed, laying beside where she sat like it was nothing.

"Why are you here?" She asked looking down at him and he scoffed, "Should I leave?"

"No, just surprised me is all." She responded as she boldly let her fingers run into his short locks. Oli's eyes immediately shut as he took in her touch.

"I wanted to see you."

The room fell silent and Emerson just stared at the tattoo boy as she messed with his hair. She knew she wasn't really getting anywhere with him if she was being who she was. Which everyone knew was a bit quiet and kept to herself. She had to try a new approach.

The girl breathed in before speaking, "Are we going to talk about last night?"

Oli's eyes immediately opened and he searched her face for some sign to prove she didn't mean it.

"Talk about what?" He asked smoothly like always.

"I just hate not knowing what this is. I hate not knowing where I stand with someone."

Oli propped himself up on his elbows as his eyes narrowed in seriousness. Emerson bit her lip as she tried to avoid his gaze.

"Em...I don't know, I really don't. I've told you last night how I felt about you. It just doesn't need to happen. Trust me when I say that where you stand in my life is nothing short of importance. You are the most important person to me."

"So you think you'll hurt me if we were together?"

Oli nodded and Emerson spoke, "Well, what do you think you're doing now?" She asked with a weak grin as she moved off the bed and left the room.

Oli groaned and placed his hands over his face. He Had never really thought of it like that. He hated how she made him think so much. He really just needed to keep quiet around her. How could he ruin things then?
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa. All the comments makes me feel even more bad that I made you wait so long! :( Sorry, I've just had a lot going on. I'll try harder next time!

Thanks for commenting:
MedicatedDreams
the-tonyperry
Abmora01
TravlerSoul (don't hit him with a chair it's going to get better!haha)
rachemical
JohnFanFictions (x4!!! lol)
ShaniceJillian
shabutie2113
Sinking Ships
DreamALittleDream
nevergivein
:)