‹ Prequel: Just Can't Let You Go

The End of the Innocence

Shane

Hours passed, and my mind was still screaming in fear. After Evelyn went to bed, I pulled Logan downstairs and into the kitchen. "We need to talk," I said, pulling out a chair and motioning for Logan to sit. He did so, looking at me with a confused and worried expression.

"What's wrong, Shane?" he asked as I sat down next to him and grabbed his hand. I took a shaky breath before answering, wanting to forget about everything.

"You know how I've been acting strange since we went to lunch?" I asked, causing Logan to nod. "There's this guy, Wesley Peters, who I was really good friends with back home, before I moved here the first time. Well, before we had moved, there was an incident involving him ... and my baby sister."

Logan gasped, gripping my hand tightly. "I didn't know you had a sister," he said, just over a whisper.

"Not a lot of people do. I never wanted to remember, that's why I never said anything," I replied, meeting Logan's eye. "He raped and killed her, out of nowhere. No one really knows as to why he did it. He never showed any outward signs of hating anyone, but for whatever reasons, he hated my family."

"You just said he was a good friend of yours," Logan said, looking confused.

"That's the issue, he was. We got along, he got along with my family, including Hayley. When we pressed charges and all, he was taken to prison. During the court dates, we found out there was other offenses with other girls Hayley's age. Later, we found out that he was part of some cult that did this to various people of different age groups and ethnic backgrounds."

"What's the point of you telling me all of this?" Logan asked, and I could tell he was just curious, but I could sense the fear behind the curiosity.

"He's here ... in town. I saw him at the bistro on our way to lunch, and he saw me."

"I think he saw us as well. Does he have dirty blonde hair, hazel eyes and a scar running down the left cheek?" Logan asked, making me look up at him so quick my next hurt.

"He was here?" I asked, causing Logan to nod. "Did he see Evy?" I asked, getting a shrug. Standing up quickly, I ran upstairs, Logan hot on my heels. Making a quick right and opening the door to her room, I switched the light on and saw her sleeping peacefully on her bed.

I turned with relief in my shoulders and gave Logan a small smile. But all too quickly that smile turned to one of shock, then of pain, then fear. "He's here," I mumbled, falling to my knees. I tasted blood and looked up at Logan. "Take her to them. They'll know what to do."

I barely saw Logan react, but all I recall was an angered roar, and the scream of a girl. Everything went black.