Falling for You Was Out of My Control

Christmas With The Bailey's

Evgeni’s POV
I was rather anxious to be finally meeting her parents. I mean I was really excited but at the same time I wanted them to like me.

“It will be fine,” Jessie tried to reassure me as she buttoned up the last few buttons on my shirt.
“But what if your dad not like me?” I gulped as she began tucking in the front on my shirt.
“Just be yourself he will love you,” her hands trailed around my belt tucking my shirt tails in with one swift move before leaning up to kiss me.

“Question,” I stepped behind her as she bent down to grab her bag.
“What?” she stood back up and turned around with a wicked smile.
“I meet parents,” I raised my eyebrows at her.
“Yeah?”
“That means,” I hooked my arm around her and pulled her into me capturing her lips.
“Yeah but you haven’t met them yet,” she pulled away and walked out of the room swinging her hips.

Why was she still doing this to me? For the past week it has been torture. She keeps using Sebastian as an excuse, which granted is a valid reason to be worried but if she would just stop teasing me I would be all good.

We arrived at her parents’ house and suddenly the Pittsburgh winter felt like we were in the middle of the desert.
“Come on,” she put her hand on my knee as I was busy strangling the steering wheel.
“Huh?” I snapped back into the reality and blushed as she laughed at me.
“Come on,” she climbed out of the car, “can you please lift Sebastian; I don’t want to hurt him.”

We began to walk up the steps when I realized the gifts I had forgotten.
“Hold Jeffrey,” I handed over his leash.
“What are you doing?” she stopped rolling her eyes at me.
“Presents, is Christmas,” I opened the car door and pulled out a bouquet of flowers for her mother and a bottle of whiskey for her dad.

“Flowers and alcohol?” she smiled as I jogged up the stairs to her side.
“What? Bad?” I was beginning to think I had made the wrong choice.
“No,” she kissed my cheek, “it is perfect.”

I stood nervously as we waited for her parents to answer the door and when they did my heart stopped.

“Merry Christmas sweetie,” was her mother answered the door and wrapped Jessie in a hug.
“Merry Christmas mum.”
“and you must be Evgeni,” she turned to me with a smile.
“Hello Mrs Bailey, Merry Christmas,” I handed over the flowers with a smile.
“Oh thank you dear, come in” she beamed, “and please call me Sue.”
“See,” Jessie nudged me in the side as we stood in the foyer taking off our jackets.

“Sebastian,” her mother looked down at the hobbling dog, “how is he doing Jess?”
“He is ok,” she petted his head, “oh and this is Jeffrey, Evgeni’s dog, these two won’t go anywhere without each other.”
“Hello Jeffrey,” she knelt down and petted my dog who just had to give everyone kisses.

“Where’s dad?” Jessie broke off.
“Jessie!” a big man walked down the stairs of the house.
“Dad!” she beamed and ran into his arms.

I stood awkwardly near by as another man walked down the stairs.
“James? What are you doing here?” she looked surprised as she through her arms around the man who looked so similar to her.

“Evgeni this is my brother James and my father,” she gestured to the two men on the stairs.
“Hi,” I shook their hands, “Um Jessie said you like…” I handed over the bottle.
“Ah whisky, the boy knows his drinks,” he smiled approvingly.

“Auntie Jessie!” a little blonde boy appeared at the top of the stairs,
“Cameron,” she smiled putting her arms out as the little boy ran down as fast as he could and jumped into her arms.
“You should see all the presents Santa gave me.”
“Really? Are they cool?”
“Yes, super cool. Do you want to see them?”
“Ok but first I want you to meet someone. Cameron this is Evgeni, Evgeni this is my nephew Cameron.”
“Hello,” I knelt down putting my hand out for him.
“Are you Jessie’s boyfriend?” he smiled.
“He sure is, so you be nice,” she tapped his back and encouraged him forward.
“Come on,” she put her hand out for me and led us upstairs.

Jessie’s POV
I watched as Evgeni played with Cameron. They were noisy, making a mess, a typical boys way of playing until Sarah my brothers wife came up to get us for lunch.

“He’s cute,” she smiled nudging me in the side.
“He is,” I scrunched up my face but failing to hide the smile as Evgeni chased Cameron down the hallway with the threat of being tickled.
“And he seems pretty good with Cameron,” she gestured.
“Sarah it’s only been a few months, just hold up,” she laughed at how uneasy I was getting, “besides we haven’t even…” I stopped realizing what I was saying and instantly regretted it.
“You haven’t?” she looked shocked.
“No but don’t worry, I am planning on it,” I smiled thinking about how easy he was going to melt in my hands.

I had never had been with someone who was as gentle as Evgeni, so loving, took their time and that in itself was enough to make me want him.

“So Evgeni,” my dad spoke up from the other end of the table, “how is the hockey?”
“Is good,” he nodded simply.
“Doesn’t the season feel rather long, I mean it’s already been a few months and you still have a lot more to go?”
“Yes season is long, hard, get tired a lot,” he began picking at his food and I could see he was nervous and when he got nervous he messed up his English.

I put a reassuring hand on his back and he looked over at me with an appreciative smile as I felt his muscles relax.
“You’re doing fine,” I whispered to help him feel a little more at ease.

“You know Jessie is a terrible ice skater,” James started with a smile on his face, “I remember this one time she was about 5 and she wanted to play hockey with me and my friends,” I was beginning to regret James being there as he told the one story I was never going to live down from any of his friends, “she took one step onto the pond and fell straight over before she realized the guards were still on the blades.”
“I hate you,” I muttered as everyone began laughing Evgeni included.
“Don’t worry I teach you to take off covers first,” he grabbed my hand with a shit eating grin on his face.
“I hate you too,” I mumbled folding my arms over my chest.

As it turned out Evgeni had nothing to worry about. My family loved him. My dad and my brother thought he was ‘awesome’ a quote from my 29 year old brother.

“He’s a keeper,” Dad smiled as he watched Evgeni carry Sebastian out to the car.
“I think he is,” I wrapped my arms around my dad for a hug.
“Merry Christmas sweetie,” he kissed my forehead.
“Merry Christmas dad,” I pulled away and ran down to the car.
“Cya Evgeni,” my dad waved.
“Bye!” Evgeni waved before hoping in the car.

“Well that was a success,” I turned to him as he started up the car.
“Now my parents,” he smiled as I felt all the color wash from my face hoping they would like me as much as my family like Evgeni.