Falling for You Was Out of My Control

Trying To Keep Up

Jessie's POV
"Hey Jessie," Kevin appeared as I headed downstairs to go practice.
"Hey, how are you?" I smiled because as much as I would hate to admit Kevin had grown on me. At first I didn't want to be friends with him because I was afraid of what Evgeni would think but then I figured I am the lonely one in this city the more people I know the easy this was going to be. Kevin, he made each day that little bit easy, especially the days when Evgeni and I hadn't had a chance to talk. He was nice company and I didn't feel like I was losing my mind talking to a wall all the time.

"You know you are the only person I know who doesn't look dead in the mornings," and I couldn't help but laugh at some of the random things he said.
"That's because I love the mornings, what is not love about mornings?"
"Nothing I love morning, favourite time of day."

The amount of times we had been out in the morning for breakfast was beginning to out do the amount of times Evgeni and I had been out walking the dogs when we first met. I missed that. We hadn't done it since I hurt my knee, after that we just spent mornings in bed or on the couch and as much as that was nice I wished we did go out in the morning because it was the nicest time of day.

"Do you want to go grab a burrito first?" He pointed just down the street to the row of little shops where we got breakfast most days.
"Of course," I shoved my car keys back in my bag.

"You know these truly are amazing," he said biting into his food.
"Yeah well stop eating with you mouth full," I went to reach out and wipe the sauce from the side of his mouth out of habit but stopped and played it off as wiping something off of his shoulder. A much more acceptable thing to do in my situation.

"It's nice to finally have someone around here who isn't completely ridiculous."
"What do you mean?" I frowned thankful he didn't care about the potentially awkward situation I just put myself in.
"Well no one around here will just do this," he gestured between us, "just hang out."
"Yeah, New York is wierd."
"It sure is." 

We continued back to the parking lot and to our cars where they sat side by side because let's face it we could find my Chevy pick up fast than his silver Toyota. While helping someone find there car each morning could be fun I didn't want to have anymore bonding experiences with him.

"What are you doing tonight?" He asked as we reached our cars.
"Nothing that I can think of," I shrugged.
"Do you want to go out for a few drinks? It is a Friday night after all."
"Hey you don't have to justify drinking to me, I am up for it anytime."
"Alright cool so we go out about 9?"
"Yeah sure," I smiled before jumping in my car, "I will see you later then."
"Alright bye," he waved jumping into his.

I got on with my day going to practice and doing the few errands I had before heading home to relax. I had no idea why I was getting so worn out lately but at least it wasn't curl up and die worthy tired anymore.

I was lying on the sofa enjoying the endless re-runs of scrubs on telly before my phone began ringing on the cushion next to me.

"Hey," I was excited to finally hear from Evgeni for the first time all day.
"Hi," he sounded a little more happier than normal.
"What are you doing?"
"What you doing?"
"Nothing, why?"
"Team in New York play Rangers tomorrow."
"Oh my god your in New York?" My stomach started doing flips knowing we could be only minutes away from each other.
"Yes," he started laughing, "what you do tonight?"
"Well," oh shit I was supposed to be going out for drinks with Kevin. What was I going to do now? I couldn't just ditch him could I?

"Well?" He pressed.
"Well I am supposed be going out for drinks with a friend but I could just tell him not tonight."
"Him?" He sounded annoyed.
"Yes Evgeni, my neighbour Kevin."
"How come not tell about him?"
"Because I wanted you to meet him before you go tagging him as a threat or something," I tried to reason because I knew that be what he would do. He would think I was cheating or that the guy just wanted to get in my pants, well I am sorry but that is not the kind of person I am. Sure I had made a mistake and kissed Liam but he was an ex and I was confused, there was feelings there before Evgeni.

"I not do that."
"Well if out that whole sentence you picked the word him to discuss then yes clearly you will."
"No."
"Is it such a crime for me to be friends with another guy?"

But he didn't say anything just ruffled and light static echoed through the phone.
"Your such a child sometimes," I groaned about ready to hang up on him.

Ok so I was stressed, tired and all I really wanted to do tonight was have a few drinks. Granted I missed Evgeni but why couldn't he just be happy that I wasn't some loner in this apartment of mine.

"Jessie, not want to fight," he sounded so sad and I could just imagine him pacing around lamely with his shoulders slumped and free hand shoved nervously in his pocket.
"Well your not the only person in this world Evgeni. I can talk to other people."
"I know," he sighed, "I am sorry."

I was so wound up though that he being calm was annoying me more and more.

"Just..." I huffed before I really started going him, "just maybe not tonight, you should probably get some sleep, after all these next few games are a big deal."
"But..."
"No Evgeni just go some sleep please."
"You come game tomorrow night right?"
"Of course I will, I wouldn't miss it."
"Ok, I go now," how we had gone from happy to fighting in seconds confused me because that never happened, I was never this short with him over something like this.

"I love you," he whispered.
"I love you too," but saying that to him still wasn't forced because I did love him. Jealous, annoying, conceited Evgeni and all.