Carry On

Seventeen

Brian landed in the airport, went through security, and claimed his bags before taking the first cab he could to the hotel. Not only did he have to meet with people at the record label, he had to face his ex-wife. He sighed, sitting down on the bed feeling utterly exhausted. He didn't know what drove his daughter to act this way, or what had gone wrong in her life. He couldn't understand.

He pulled out his phone to check his email. Larry had informed him that some executives at the label would be contacting him so they could meet, but he didn't know why. He opened the only unread email in his inbox and began to read.

Brian,

It was brought to the label's attention that on Wednesday your daughter, Elizabeth, attempted suicide. Our deepest regrets to your current situation, Brian. However, you took it upon yourself to contact an outside source which led the public to know of Elizabeth's incident. Furthermore, you also went ahead and denied these accusations seen on the internet. You created a hoax, or false story, to derail the public's view on things, without our permission.

The label is putting a 2.5 million dollar budget on this upcoming album and tour. We don't like losing money, Brian. You of all people should understand. Please come by our office tomorrow at noon so we can discuss the situation and discuss budget costs. We cannot have this be a liability to the upcoming plans for Avenged Sevenfold.

Sincerely,
Warner Bros. Music Productions


Brian groaned, knowing exactly what this meant. The label was either going to try to pull the plug on the entire record, or do something to keep Liza away from the recording process. It happened all the time in the business. Celebrity boyfriends go to rehab, parents go to jail. It's all schemes to get a problem away from their money. Brian needed to think of something quick to convince the label to not stick his daughter somewhere he didn't want her.

He looked down at his phone again and saw he had countless calls from Matt, along with texts. He opened the first text and began to read.

Bri, I followed Liza home like you asked. She wanted to know where you were and I told her. She flipped out, Dude. She thought you left her like Michelle did. She needs help, Brian. As your friend, I'm telling you that something deeper is going on here. She passed out. I'm keeping her home tomorrow. It's friday anyways, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I suggest you finish what ever you need to with the label and Michelle and get home soon. I can't keep her like this forever. I'm afraid she might try to do something again. Please let me know when you get this.

Brian sighed again, bringing the phone to his ear as he dialed his friend. He waited a few times before Val's soft voice answered, "Hey, Bri."

"Hey. What's going on?" He asked.

She sighed, "Matt brought her here when she was knocked out cold. She collapsed and hit her head. Lacey checked her out and said it's not a big deal, as long as she doesn't sleep for more than five hours."

"Does anyone else know?" He questioned.

"No. We didn't tell the other guys, and Lacey said she would keep quiet to Johnny. Matt wants to call Zack, though. Zack has a gift of calming Liza down when needed. We don't want to overwhelm her though. It would be pretty overbearing if she woke up and all of the entire gang was here," She explained and he nodded. Brian knew his best friend always had a special connection with his daughter. It's why he called him when Michelle left. Even though he was still slightly upset at his friend for wanting to step where he didn't belong, he trusted him and always will. If anyone could calm Liza down, or talk her out of something, it was him.

"How is she?" He asked, worry etched in his voice.

"Matt's watching her right now. I just got back from getting her some clothes from her room. Matt," She paused and took a deep breath, "He tried to pack for her, but he just couldn't stand to be in that room... You know."

"Yeah, I know," Brian breathed and he ran a hand over his face, "I need to talk to him, Val."

"I'll get him for you," She assured. He waited as he listen to her shuffle up the stairs and he heard a door open before hearing some soft murmuring. He also heard a soft voice and his heart tugged. He knew it was Liza, probably lazily waking up at the sign of the commotion. He knew he should have explained it better, but he knew what his daughter's reaction would be. He needed it to be this way.

"Hello?" Matt answered once he was outside of the room. Val had taken his place beside Liza on the bed. Brian recognized exhaustion in his voice right away.

"Hey," Brian replied, "I'm sorry. I just..."

"I know, Dude. You wouldn't have been able to leave if Liza saw you," Matt confessed it all for him and Brian nodded.

"Yeah... I don't think this was the best way to approach it either."

"Brian..."

"I know, I know," He groaned.

"No," Matt snapped before sighing. He walked further down the hall so his voice wouldn't wake up Liza again, "You don't know," He argued, "You don't know because if you did you wouldn't treat it like nothing. She needs help. Serious help."

"I know," Brian whispered, "I just... I want to believe she's strong enough to get through this on her own."

"It isn't about strength, Brian. Had your mom walked out on you like that and your father been on tour all your life, you'd be fucked up too."

"When I get back I'll handle it."

"You don't need to handle anything," Matt stated, "You need to call someone who's capable of handling this. Stop trying to do everything yourself. It's not healthy for you and it's certainly not healthy for her."

"Okay. You're right," Brian gave in, "When I get back I'm going to call a therapist."

"Then you need to get things sorted out there as soon as possible."

"About that," Brian sighed, "I think the label is either going to try and lock us out... or pull a rehab stunt on Liza," He explained.

"Shit," Matt hissed, "They're going to try to take her away? Do they think we're distracted?"

"Yeah, and they don't like losing money, you know that... I," He paused, "I don't know what to tell them. I can't let them do that to my daughter, but I can't let them drop this album either."

"You need to tell them that we have everything under control. I promise I'll make sure Larry doesn't find out about what happened today with Liza. But you need to tell them that we haven't missed any studio time, and that Liza has school. If you show them her grades and tell them she's getting ready to go to college, they'll be convinced she has her head on straight."

"You're right," Brian breathed.

"And Michelle?"

"She knows I'm here but I haven't called her yet. I still don't know how I'm getting out of this one."

"Best of luck to you, Man."

"Yeah, thanks... I'll need it," He sighed, "Listen, I'll call later to check up on her. If she wakes up before then text me to let me know."

"I will. See ya," Matt said before hanging up.

-

When I woke up, I was in a familiar place. Once again I was on Matt's bed and he was beside me. This time I was leaning against him. His arms were crossed and the television was on. One of those reality shows was on. His head was leaned towards me, and he looked extremely uncomfortable in his position.

I didn't remember much except for freaking out. I remembered not being able to breathe. The feeling of abandonment. The pain I felt from having both parents leave me behind.

"How are you feeling? How's your head?" He asked, placing a hand on the side of my head, looking into my eyes as if searching for something.

"I feel like a pound of bricks were dropped on my head," I stated.

"More like something dropped you," He muttered and I raised an eyebrow, "You were thrashing around in my arms and I kind of uh... dropped you. Accidentally," He stated.

He did it on purpose.

I cringed at the thought of Matt tossing me to the ground in an attempt to get me to shut up. I sighed and he looked to me, concern on his face, "It's okay," I muttered.

"Liza..."

"I know. I know," I sighed, "I overreacted," I muttered.

"No, you didn't actually," He stated simply and I turned to him, eyebrow raised, "You had every right to, Liza. You went through a traumatic experience with your mom," He started and I darted my eyes to my lap, away from him, "It's okay. It's okay if you're still hurt by it. But I promise you that your dad would never do that to you."

I don't believe you.

"He would never do anything to hurt you, Liza. Jesus, you're his world!" He exclaimed, "Everything he does in life is because of you. He could have done so many other things in life, but he chose this because he knew it would be better for you. And he will always put you first. You're his daughter. There's nothing in this world... Nothing. That is more important to you."

Lies.

"Yeah," I whispered, my voice weak.

"He would never leave you, Liza. I promise. He loves you too much."

"Okay," I breathed.

"Hey," He turned so he was facing me full-on and I looked up at him, "He went to New York to work some things out. The label has been bothering him ever since we posted that it was a hoax. He went to New York so he could fix things. And, so talk some things over with your mother," He added solemnly, "I mean, some things just need to be said in person. They have a lot of unfinished business, Liza."

I nodded, taking in a deep breath, "C'mere," He whispered and pulled me into a bear hug. Hugs I remember getting when I was a child. Whenever I scraped my knee and Matt would swoop me up in hugs and kisses.

Where did I go wrong?