Status: Besties writing together

Pitch Black

Ashling Canavan

It had been a week since we started our “School Days”, and my legs were already killing me. We hadn’t trained in self-defense for more than three days, with break days in between and I was dead. I could only imagine how the others who weren’t use to Blakely’s intense courses felt. Every other day we swapped off. One day I would teach them books smart and the next Blake would teach them self-defense techniques.

“Ok time to spar guys,” Blake glanced around the room, picking out her first victim. “Ok lets start easy Sam. You first.” Sam groaned as she stood up. Being that the couch was all full Niall sat down on the ground in front of me, resting his head on my legs. We had grown really close these past couple weeks and I would never admit it out loud but I had acquired some strong feelings for the Irish boy.

Sam easily escaped from Blake but that was mostly because Blake wasn’t even trying. Sam went back to sitting with El, and Louis stood up. “I volunteer as tribute!” Everyone on the couch clapped, cheered and chanted “District 12” as he bowed in front of us! “Now let me show you some real self defense.” As soon as he turned around, his stomach was greeted by Blake’s foot sending him to the ground.

“Rule one Louis; never turn your back on the enemy.” She said crouching down to his level. It was safe to say Louis was down for the count after that blow. “Ok, Luck o’ the Irish, making you next gives me a valid reason to say get off of my sister.” I rolled my eyes at her, and patted him on the back saying good luck as he took the stage. I couldn’t lie that I was impressed with how long he lasted, but still it was kind of pathetic.

Slowly she made her way through the crowd, having to spar with Harry twice because he said she cheated. After what seem like a lifetime of waiting she finally got to me. “Well what are you waiting for princess? Do you need an invitation?” A smile instantly spread across my face, sparring with Blake was one of the few fighting things I truly enjoyed.

“Are you really going to make her spar? Her hands are all messed up, she has no chance.” The words came out of Harry’s mouth and I instantly glared at him.

“Look here pretty boy, I’m the only one in here able to say that they have taken down Blakely. More that once, at that.” He glared right back at me and then put on a smug look.

“Well ok, go a head with your bad self.” I turned back around and walked towards Blake, who was standing in the middle of the room, hands on her hips.

“Well, are we going hand to hand? Wrestling? Kick boxing? Mix martial arts?” I asked her and she started to think, placing her chin on her fist.

“I’m feeling just some good old fashion hand to hand. No holding back though, I know your hands are well enough to hold a fist and throw a good punch.” She glanced around me at Harry when she said good, making his nostrils flare.

Next thing I knew punches were being thrown at my face. I blocked all but one, but it only grazed my right temple. I could hear the people in the background gasping as my sister and I duked it out. I attacked her but only got one shot to the gut in. We were both a little out of shape because 5 minutes in we were beginning to pant. With one last gallant effort I attack her but it seemed to be she had the same idea. She clipped my chin and I clipped her right temple.

Both of us lean over, one hand on a knee for support the other on our injured part. Everyone was quiet and the room was tense. That was until we both broke into laughter. Everyone stared at us with complete confusion except Sam, but that was because she has seen us really fighting.

“I didn’t think you had all of that still in you Ash. I guess I don’t need to be as worried about you, because I pray for the vamp that tries to go on hand on hand with you.” She put her arm around my shoulder as we walked towards the couch. Niall pulled me on top of him, making space for Blake to sit on the couch.

“Well oh mighty school teacher, seems like you aren’t all bark. You might actually be able to hold one for your own.” Harry joked. I couldn’t tell if he was as impressed with our duel as the rest of them were. “Niall, you better be careful not to make her mad. Blakely is the only one who can stop her and I’m not sure if she would stop her if she’s beating you.”

Everyone laughed at his joke, even Blake let out a small chuckle. We sat around for another good hour cracking jokes and just talking. I could feel my eyes beginning to droop from exhaustion. Liam, Danielle, Perrie, Zayn and Sam had already gone off to bed. Blake and Harry were talking about how Blake and I had gotten so good at fighting. Louis and El were indulging in a bag of popcorn, attempting to throw pieces into each other’s mouths.

I was still sitting on Niall’s lap, head resting on his shoulder, chatting about irrelevant things. We went through at least four rounds of twenty questions and I was out of questions to ask. He didn’t argue much to the silence, but instead began to hum. “Stop it your going to put me to sleep.” I fought my eye, desperately trying to keep them open. He laughed at my protest and then began to sing. Deciding I needed to find some caffeine, I peeled myself off of his lap. I was so caught up in spending time with Niall that I hadn’t even noticed everyone else had left the room.

“Well, you dawned on me and you bet I felt it. I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted. I fell right through the cracks, now I'm trying to get back.” He walked towards me singing the lyric of I’m Yours by Jason Mraz. “Before the cool dawn run out, I'll be giving it my bestest. And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention. I reckon, it's again my turn to win some or learn some.”

“But I won't hesitate. No more, no more. It cannot wait, “I'm yours.” I cut him off, singing the course at the higher octave. We slow danced around the kitchen, singing various songs together for what seemed like a lifetime. Finally we slowed to a stop. He was so close that I could feel his breath on my lips. Gently he leaned in, closing the space placing a delicate kiss on my lips. If it weren’t post-apocalyptic, it would be sad to say that that was my first kiss but since it was PA, I was happy to say it.

Emotions, took over my body sending my brain into a meltdown. This was no place for a relationship and I knew that. “I- I can’t-“ was all I could make out. Quickly I moved around him, making a b-line for the room. Some part of me wanted him to follow after me but at the same time, everything logical about life stated that forming a relationship in the middle of an apocalypse was a bad idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
HE KISSED HER!! OMG!