Status: Active

I Bite My Tongue So You Don't Hear Me

Enough

Dan hadn't spoken to anyone in a few weeks. It had nearly been a month since Gemma being in a coma and Charlotte being born. 
The nurses and doctors come and go with Dan not uttering a word to them. Dan just sits looking at Gemma. Waiting. Just waiting. 

Josh had showed up unannounced and sat beside Dan when he came in. 
'Hi' Josh greeted 
'Why are you here?' Dan asked
'We were worried' Josh answered
'I'm perfectly fine' Dan lied
'Sitting at her bedside isn't doing anything,you know it'
'What am I supposed to do'
'Talk'
'About?' Dan queried 
'How you feel' Josh replied
'Why would I do that'
'Because all you do is sit here acting like there is not a world beyond that door' Josh admitted
'Talk to me Dan' Josh encouraged
'Tell me how you feel,talk to Gemma tell her' 

Dan took a breath.  

Dan's gaze fell to Gemma. Looking at her beautiful pale face which was almost covered by the oxygen mask. 
He fiddled with his hands. 
'I know I made a promise' He said  'But I can't be here again,sitting waiting for something to happen' Dan stood up kicking the chair behind. 
'I can't be here anymore,Gemma I need you to wake up!' He shouted 'I want to cuddle at home whilst Charlotte sleeps,I want you to fall asleep in my arms' He cried'I want to tell you everything will be alright'

He crashed onto the floor crying,sobbing for Gemma but to no avail. 

'I can walk out this door right now you know' He begun 'But you know I couldn't because I love you and I hate myself right now because the past few months have been rough and I haven't said that I love you enough' 
He brought himself to his feet. 
'I want you to just be here with me and I-I-I' He stumbled up against the wall with his hands around his mouth. 
Josh sat on the edge of his seat.
'I love you,and that's all I can say because nothing else can wake you up' He cried 'I just need you to know that I love you and for what it's worth I loved you since the moment I saw your scars' 
Dan reached for the doorknob.
He took it within his grasp. 
He took one last breath of the hospital rooms air-
The hospital bed creaked.   
'Dan' A muffled female voice breathed Dan's eyes lit up as he turned around 'Stop crying' Gemma smiled through the oxygen mask. 
Dan ran to her side hugging her tightly. Josh smiled and nudged Dan pointing to the door. Josh slid through the door. 
'I love you' Dan cried 
Gemma removed the mask. 
'I heard,you didn't give up' 
'You heard that' Dan gasped
'Every word' She smiled
'I don't know what else to say other than I love you' Dan admitted 
'Then don't' She whispered
She tenderly placed her lips to his. Something Dan had waited for. They broke from the kiss and Gemma practically jumped on Dan in order to hug him. Dan jumped in time to catch Gemma jumping towards him. He held onto her and kissed her repeatedly, feeling intoxicated with happiness and relief. 
'Dan' Gemma said 
'Yes babe' Dan smiled 
'Thank you' She grinned
'Why?' 
'For not giving up,for being strong,for saying how you felt,being there for Charlotte and me,for loving me enough' She informed him. 
Dan smiled. He took in her fragile beauty as the doctors entered. He removed himself from the bed and took his spot in the chair. 
Josh approached Dan and leant to his ear. 
'I told you so' He whispered and Dan sensed the smirk on Josh's face but didn't look as his eyes were once more latched on to Gemma.
♠ ♠ ♠
If there are any mistakes I apologise
But happy birthday Dan Flint! And happy Easter to everyone!