To Philly With Care

Bad first game but still a good time!

***Jass’ POV***

Max had dropped me at Gran’s, tonight was the first game of the season and Gran was coming with me. For our own safety we were going to be sitting with the rest of the girls. A few of them had seen me, but not many. Needless to say when Gran and I walked through the door there was a loud welcoming noise. Johanna was the first to get close. “Oh goodness look at you!” She hugged me as tightly as she could. The other girls who knew me were quick to come over and hug me as well. They tried asking me questions about the babies but Johanna spoke up. “Girls let her sit down, then we can ask our questions.”

I was allowed to sit and then introduced Gran. “Girls, this is my Gran. Gran these are the girls. Johanna is the one who’s eyes bugged out. Can someone get me a water? I’m not moving until I have to.” They all laughed while Ryanne grabbed me a bottle of water. “Ok, who’s got the first question?”

They all laughed again. “Ok if no one else wants to kick this off I will. Jass you look wonderful. When are you due and just whom will be joining us?” That was Nadine Coburn. I liked her a lot, Braydon too.

I smiled. “We’re having twins and they should be joining us in December.” I looked at my belly. “At least I hope they decide they don’t want out just yet. Dr. Sykes says every week from now on decreases their possible problems when they get here.” Gran chuckled and patted my hand.

“Ok hon, do you have a nursery set up yet and do you want a baby shower?” That came from Gina, Zac’s girlfriend. She’d been nasty to me at first, until she saw just how I supported Max without stopping him from being himself.

I shook my head. “No, we don’t have anything set up but we should. As for a shower, it should be a co-ed one. I don’t want Max to feel left out and if that means dragging your guys through it too, so be it.” They lost it laughed at that.

Johanna held onto the chair I was on and grinned. “I think you’ll find that the guys with kids will bring those without. If you want them at it we should find a day where they’re home and have in the afternoon after practice.”

Ryanne opened the calendar on her phone. “Let’s see we have the Halloween party on the 19th, would the 22nd work for you?”

I opened my mouth to answer when Gran beat me to it. “Not only will that day work, I’ll host. In fact let’s not leave the kids at home either. We’ll make it a family affair. Of course this will mean that your family will also be there my darling. Of course if you just let it happen we _might be able to keep your mother from trying to take over the wedding.”

That started another uproar. “Yes we’re getting married. We’re going to do it during the Olympic break _AND_ before you ask it’s going to be extremely private just immediate family and our chosen witnesses. We’ve already decided to do a bigger party in the summer for everyone.” That settled them with a sigh.

“So can we make it a double shower then?” Someone asked.

“Let me talk about it with Max, I’m more focussed on tonight and this weekend than anything else.” I forestalled the questions with a raised hand. “Myself and my girls are going after the game to Montreal to meet with my soon-to-be sister-in-law and wedding planner, Sofia. She’s got several days of tastings and things for us to do. Friday Max will be joining us after their practice so while the guys will tease him, he’ll have an input on the important things.” I was hopeful that this weekend would be a fun one too, I needed some fun.

Warm ups began and while a couple of the gils went out to supervise the kids, most of us stayed in. I had one of the new ladies come over and introduce herself. “I’m Anne, Hal Gill’s wife, is there anything you need?”

I smiled. “Hi Anne, call me Jass. Unless you know of someway I can still wear my ring while I’m pregnant I really don’t. I had to take it off at the doctor’s yesterday and I miss wearing it.” It was true, it’d only been a few weeks but I did miss wearing my ring, I missed the symbol that Max was mine completely by his own free will and not just biology.

She pulled out a tablet. “Actually when I was pregnant I found a great thing. It was a ring holder pendant.” She typed in a few keywords and soon found it. “Ah, here it is.” She moved her tablet to where I could see it. Sure enough there it was.

“That’s a brilliant idea.” Gran said. “How can we get one?”

Anne smiled. “Here, borrow my tablet to sign up for Etsy and then from there you can get everything you might need or want.” She handed me the tablet and I signed up. I then pulled out my purse and ordered that pendant with express shipping. She laughed. “Wow you really did want that.”

I giggled. “You would too once you’ve seen my ring. It’s a family heirloom.” I pulled out my phone and showed her the picture I had taken of it. She whistled. “It was made in 1929 for my Great-Grandmother. Gran wore it for 169 it62 years herself.” I looked proudly at her while I picked up her hand, I missed my Gramp and I prayed he would be proud of me.

“It’s lovely. I can see why you’d want it on you now. I know we don’t know each other, but if I can help in any way please let me know.” I handed back her tablet. “I can think of one thing that you might like.” She searched for ribbon rose bouquet on Etsy. There were 1,169 items. “I know that flowers in February can be difficult to find. This could be an easier alternative. You could even have them shipped wherever you need.”

I began almost drooling. “Oh my these are lovely.” Gran said as we looked through a few pages. “It would be a good way to get the colors you want in your flowers too by the looks of it dear.” I nodded.

Johanna came in from taking her turn and looked what we were doing. “Oh, search for HeyBouquet. We went to a wedding before we went home and that’s where she got hers. They looked great!”

I searched and quickly found the shop. Those flowers might be ribbons but they looked incredible. She even had bouquets you could toss so you could keep yours. Oh I loved this already. “This would solve all of the problems I’ve been worried about with flowers. There’s even hair decorations.” I favorited the shop and closed out the browser. “If I keep looking now I won’t watch the game. Thank you guys for the tips. They take a huge load off my mind. Maybe if I look I can find something as permanent for the guys to wear too.”

Anne and Johanna laughed and I noticed the players leaving the ice. “Oh yay, almost time to stand again.” I said dryly. I’d been on my feet a lot today so sitting felt great.

Ava came over and pointed at my belly. “Baby.”

“Two babies Ava.” I leaned forward and got kicked for it. “Oof. Give me your hand.” She did and I put it over where I was getting kicked. The baby then pushed on our hands and she beamed. Of course what Ava got to do the rest of them wanted to too so I spent the time between warm ups and the National Anthem playing push the babies with the kids.

I struggled to my feet and managed to stand through both anthems. I was very grateful to sit after though. Gran asked a few questions, this was her first game so it was understandable. For a Leafs/Flyers game this was a low scoring one. In fact both teams had more penalty minutes halfway through the first than points on the board.

Finally 7 second before the end of the period Brayden Schenn got one past Bernier. Kelsey jumped up and did a little victory dance, which we applauded. She bowed when the horn sounded, taking her chirp easily.

During the intermission I got peppered with questions about how things were progressing. I got to tell them all about my appointment the day before. The kids were about 9 3/4 inches from crown to butt, about 2 1/2 pounds each (which I got told was great). In fact Dr. Sykes joked about possibly getting our date wrong. We talked about various problems that had been had during pregnancy as well. Turns out I was really lucky not to have many issues, I have some edema which I guess is pretty normal.

When the second started it wasn’t the same team that came out for the Flyers. They seemed to lose the puck more often or get it stolen. About 3 minutes before the end of the second Toronto got the tying goal which deflated the Wells Fargo Center. Needless to say we were all happy to have a topic or two to keep ourselves from being down. This time we talked about the wedding I was planning while being pregnant. I told them about the hole in the wall shop we’d found my dress in and Nichole giggled. It turned out she loved that shop to go and dream in. I personally thought she had little to worry about, Jakub adored her.

I told them who my attendants were and asked why I would have my cousin. I had to explain that Monique was closer to my sister than my cousin. I showed off a couple pictures of the three of us and they all agreed I made the right decision. Better to have a smaller party and girls you knows really well than a larger one and not know a lot about them. Then they asked me who Max was having stand with him and I had to lie a bit. I told them about Bruno but I said I didn’t know who else he was having. Of course I knew, we had finalized our guest list last night. I didn’t think the girls knowing that one of the Penguins stand with him would go over well.

The third was worse than the second. Toronto scored twice more. I also had to get up to pee, that took a production. When I came back Gran was talking about how lucky Max and I were to have each other, that it reminded her of how she had always had my Gramp until he died.

At the end of the game the guys had lost 3-1. As usual I did my best to help gather everyone to move to the lounge in the locker room where we’d wait for our guys. “I’m sorry you couldn’t have seen a win Gran. This places lights up like nothing else.” I said as we walked slowly through the halls.

“My dear it wasn’t as much about the game as being with you two. I know you aren’t happy how I volunteered to host the baby shower, not completely. I do think that getting your mother involved there will let you plan _your_ wedding your way. I think it’s marvelous that you and the girls are taking this weekend and going to get some important things done in Montreal too. Have some fun while you’re there too.” She was carrying Ava because I couldn’t.

We got to the lounge and I hit the bathroom again. Coming back I found that they’d cleared a spot for me to sit. Taking it, I sighed. “Gran I want to have some fun and maybe relax a little I don’t know what Sofia has planned though so it might not happen. If anything we should have nights free.”

A little bit after we got there so did Dani and Moni. They hugged me and said hello to Gran and the girls. “So, are you at all worried about this weekend?” Dani asked as she perched behind me.

I shook my head. “Nope, I’m going a positive attitude. We will find the people we need.” My phone rang which was odd cause it never rang this late. “Hello?”

“Oh god I hope I didn’t wake you.” It was Kallie.

“No, Kallie. We’re waiting on Max to get out of the locker room. Not a good night for these guys.” She commiserated a bit. “So why are you calling?”

Laughing Kallie got back on track. “Vero said you two were tying the knot in a very private ceremony soon and I wanted to track down some photographers for you. She only told me cause she was asking what I was going to wear but we’re going to Hawaii.”

I chuckled and felt a child move in my belly. “I don’t mind that she told you. We’ll be having a bigger party in the summer and for sure you’ll be invited to that. So who did you find?” I was truly touched that Kallie would go searching for a photographer for us.

“Well when all is said and done Ella Photography and Hello I Make Films Videography are your best bet. Ella is a super sweet gal and an excellent photog. Her video guy, Jesse, is just as awesome. He runs Hello I Make Films. I was actually looking at them for Kris and I’s wedding but she’s taking my wedding off to be a guest. I called her this afternoon and told her about you guys and she wants to meet you as soon as possible.” I may or may not have whimpered at how happy I was that I’d met Kallie.

“Oh gosh Kallie you couldn’t have called at a better time then. Me and my girls are going North tonight to make a wedding planning weekend with Sofia. Max is going to drive us to the airport before meeting us up there on Friday afternoon for tastings.” The girls were all paying attention to me now wondering who I was talking to.

“Oh great! I’ll call her tomorrow and let her know you’re up there. Her team is just awesome, they will keep you relaxed and happy all through your day. They were the team for one of my girlfriend’s from High School’s wedding, that’s where we met. She knows her stuff and I’m pretty sure you’ll love her.”

I saw Max and waved. “Kals I had no clue what we were going to do, thank you so much. She can call me anytime tomorrow just give her my cell number. I love you so much for this!” We kissed and said goodbye and I was pulling up Ella Photography on my phone. Clicking on her wedding section I gasped. “I want this woman for sure now.” I showed Max. “This is a friend of Kallie’s, Kals said she and her team would be willing to at least talk to us about our day.”

Max helped me to my feet and kissed my forehead. “If you like her and she’s willing, book it. Now, let’s go eat before you three take over Montreal.” We walked Gran to her car and then got in ours. Grabbing a bite Max dropped us off with a hug for each of us. “I’ll see you Friday afternoon. All those tastings, we’re going to be stuffed.”

I kissed him tenderly. “I’ll see you then. I’m sure we’ll find the vendors we need still and get much closer to having everything ready.” The girls gently pulled us apart and we went in to board our flight.

2 hours later I slid into our bed in Brossard secure in the knowledge that this weekend would be a fun one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh god Run Jass found Etsy! Seriously I found that and Pinterest. In fact THIS is the board where I am collecting the things I've been finding.

The non-stop flight from Philly to Montreal is just over 1 hr 15 minutes on average. Figure in driving to Brossard and such and I guessed the time it would take.

I love feedback. Really I do!