Status: May be slow for a while; will definitely pick up though! ^-^

You're My Infinity

Prologue

Tears plop down my cheeks helplessly as I bury my face in my knees, huddled near a giant oak tree that's only one of many around me. Mama told me not to go out into the forest, told me I would get lost, but I wanted to play. And now I'm lost and no one will ever find me because I was bad and didn't listen to Mama. Crying a little harder, I push my face further into my ball.

"Why are you crying?"

The small, curious voice brings my head up as my eyes search hopefully around for someone who might lead me out of the forest. "W-where are you?" I sniffle as I rub my arm across my nose.

"Here," Turning my gaze down, a small gasp surfaces as I see the tiny boy standing at my feet. He can't be more than a couple of inches tall, looking for the most part like me though, except for his clothes. "Don't be afraid!" His eyes seem to widen at my reaction. "I'm just a Pharisee."

Inching backwards a bit, my eyes narrow a little on his form. "Mama said to stay away from Pharisees. They'll trick you," I recite, a little proud that I remember so well.

"Well then, I can't help you since I'll just trick you," the boy answers with some bitterness and turns to leave.

However, at the mention of help, I start to scramble to my feet. "No! Please wait! I mean..." Sighing softly, I sit again, the tears having stopped though I sniffle once more. "I'm sorry. I'm lost and my Mama told me not to come out here." I pause, a thought forming. "What's your name?" I ask, albeit softer.

This seems to please the little Pharisee boy, who is smiling as he turns back to me. "I'm Ronan, prince of the Pharisees," he says, looking rather proud. He seems thoughtful then. "I can't help you get out. I'm sorry. I can't leave the tree. If you stay, I can talk to you though." Hope falls into his voice.

I glance overhead, but the sun is still low in the sky- not even midday yet. Then I glance back tot he small Pharisee boy. "Okay," I relent after a moment with a small smile. "I'll only get lost again if I try to leave anyway."

~*~


Dusk was setting in, and I was smiling brightly, Ronan perched on my knee. All thoughts of home had vanished with my new friend. "Will you stay here with me?" The question catches me off guard as the night starts to envelop us. "Please?" I practically flinch at the pleading tone.

Then something happens that lifts hope in my chest. Lights flicker nearby and I hear Mama's voice, calling for me. "Mama!" I yell, scrambling on my feet, my Pharisee friend forgotten in a moment as I rush towards the light. "Mama!" I screech again.

Then I'm bundled in her arms, the lantern on the ground as I'm hugged to her chest. "Emilee Dianne Rosewood, don't you ever scare me like that again!" Pressed against her chest, I simply nod mutely as she shifts me to her hip to pick up the lantern. Apparently I won't be walking home. "Come on, let's go," she sighs.

It is then that I remember my friend though, and I pull against her, hoping he'll still be there. "Wait! I have to say goodbye to my Pharisee friend!"

As soon as the words leave my mouth, there's a sharp, loud noise as she slaps my cheek, setting me down but holding my wrist firmly. "I'll not hear another word of such things. It was your imagination and no more. Hear me?"

Casting my gaze down, my head bobs in a small nod. "Yes, Mama," I whisper as she begins to pull me away from the tree and to the path out of the forest. Glancing over my shoulder though, I wonder if maybe I see eyes watching me and a whispered goodbye following.