The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Part 21

Gerard’s POV

“Yes, this is Annabelle’s teacher Mrs. Ryan. I was wondering if I might have an appointment with you and your husband today after school.”

I was taken by surprise. I glanced at Frank, fast asleep on the couch. He was sick with a cold and had finally gotten some sleep.

“O…Of course… yeah, is it important?”

“Yes, sir.”

“We’ll be there. Just don’t let her leave the class.” I said, hanging up. It was twelve and she got out at three. I decided to let Frank sleep a while longer and took a shower. By time I was done taking a shower and drying my shoulder length hair it was 1:30.

“Frankie, babe… babe, wake up.”

“Hmmmm.” He groaned, rolling over. “It’s your turn to pick her up.”

“Frank, Anna’s teacher called. She needs to see us.”

Frank instantly sat up. “What happened to her?”

“What?” I asked.

“It was the bullies wasn’t it?’’

“What? Annabelle’s being bullied? Why the fuck didn’t you tell me?!”

“I knew you’d get upset and she didn’t want you to know, Gerard… what if… I knew taking her to school would blow up in my fucking face. I fucking knew it. Why would it be any different for her than me? Why?”

“Frank, don’t get upset. Let’s just go and check this out. Go get in the shower.”

He shrugged, coughed, and went upstairs.

I decided it wouldn’t be best to wear eyeliner and pulled on my leather jacket, going to sit outside on our porch. It was freezing and I rubbed my hands together, hoping I hadn’t caused this for my beautiful baby girl.

But I knew, in the back of my mind, that I did. It was my fault.

I ran a hand through my hair and lit a cigarette. I didn’t smoke much anymore because of Anna’s asthma, but if I was really stressed I did. I took a drag and exhaled slowly, staring at a tree in our front yard. It was 2:00 when Frank came out. I put my cigarette out, took his gloved hand, and we walked towards the car. We got in and arrived at the school a while later, still having twenty minutes to spare. I didn’t want to go in, just to save Anna some embarrassment.

That’s awful.

I wish I’d known she was being bullied before.

Maybe I could have done something.

No. I couldn’t. If kids were bullying her already, I couldn’t do anything. Even if she were older. That’s just the way it goes.

When kids were dismissed we headed up there, but didn’t hold hands like we normally would. Anna was in her desk, drawing on a piece of paper. Her teacher was a young blonde woman who looked very friendly.

“You must be Gerard and Frank. I’ve heard a lot about you from Annabelle.”

“Hi.” Frank said.

“First I should say I listened to you guys through college and still do. I was thrilled when I saw she was in my class.”

I smiled, looking at Bella who was still drawing.

“She is a lovely little girl. She’s polite for the most part, does her work. She can already ready wonderfully when most kids are still struggling with putting words together.”

“But?” Frank asked.

“But she’s being picked on a lot. Today she was pushed down and scraped her knee pretty bad.”

Frank rushed over to her.

“Daddy!” I heard her shriek happily.

“What can we do?”

“I don’t know, Gerard… can I call you Gerard?”

“Yeah, whatever. But… who is it? Are they… she can’t go through school like this.”

“I know. She doesn’t defend herself, she’s a very sensitive girl. She is, like I said, a wonderful student. She’s like a angel.”

I grinned. “She can be pretty terrorizing when she wants.”

Mrs. Ryan laughed. “I’m sure they all can. I’m just really worried about her. A lot of the picking on is cause because… well, because she has two fathers. These kids are getting bad ideas from their parents and… going with it.”

Frank was hugging Anna close to him, rocking her.

“Well, thank you. Frank and I will… uh… talk with Annabelle I guess.”

Mrs. Ryan smiled. “Goodbye Annabelle. Don’t forget your reading assignment tonight.”

“Bye Mrs. Ryan!” Anna said happily, hugging Mrs. Ryan before skipping out. Frank muttered a thank you and we followed her to the car. When Frank got in he looked almost close to tears and he laid his head against the window. I grasped his hand and squeezed, feeling a gentle squeeze back.

“Daddy, today in art I drawed you guys a picture. It’s all of us and dad baby. And I made the baby a picture too, Daddy. He’ll like it very much.”

“That’s good, baby.” Frank said. I could tell he wanted to cry by how his voice cracked.

“Daddy, did I make Daddy sad?” Annabelle asked me.

“No, sweet heart. Never.” I said. “Daddy’s upset that those kids were mean to you.”

“I know. Theys pushed me down and it hurted and bled, Daddy. I wanted yous to hug me but Mrs. Ryan said you were at home and she’d call you and she did! I like my teacher, Daddy. She’s very pretty like my mommy would be if I had da perfect mommy. And she’s nice to me and likes my hair. She says I draws good, like you! I didn’t know you drewed though, Daddy. She says she knewewd because when she was younger she listened to Daddy’s Ickle Romance and she still does sometimes and she likes it very muches.”

Frank smiled and wiped his eyes with his free hand.

“That’s good.” I said. “I liked her too.”

“Daddy, can I get a milkshake cause I is thirsty?”

“Babe, it’s 40 degrees out.” I laughed.

“I know but I is not caring.”

“How about some hot chocolate? We’ll all get some and you can show us the pictures.”

“Otay.” She clapped and got her backpack. “They isn’t very good, Daddy. Daddy, can I see your drawings please? If you don’t laugh I’ll show you mine.”

“Alright, babe.”

5 Min Later…

“Don’t drink it yet, babe. It’s still hot.” Frank said to a giggling Bella.

“Let’s see your pictures.” I told her, grinning. I don’t know why I was so excited, but I was. I could hardly sit still, knowing my baby was drawing.

“Okay but yous can’t laughs Daddy.” She said, eyeing me stubbornly.

“I would never.” I promised, hugging her.

She pulled out a little art booklet. “This is da one I made for you guys. See?”

I looked at the picture and the eyes almost popped out of my head. For a six year old, she drew amazing. Yes, it still look like a child drew it. A ten year old child.

“Babe, this is good.” Frank said, kissing the top of her head.

“See? Dis is you, Daddy, and Daddy Gerardi is here and the girl is me and da boy is da baby. Daddy, it’s really unfair that I is the only girl. Can’t we adopt Sonny?”

“Sonny’s a boy.” I laughed.

“So? We can pretend he isn’t and paint his nails.”

“Let’s see some more, girly.” Gerard said, drinking some of his hot chocolate.

“Otay.” She said, and began showing us her entire booklet…

Two Hours Later…

We decided to take Bella shopping since she’d had a bad day, and finally got home two hours later. Rather than go play, she threw her arms around my legs.

“I see Daddy’s drawings now, please.”

“Okay.” I went to my bedroom and pulled a box out with all of my sketchbooks and the sort. Anna sat by me, pulling her dress over her knees. “This one is one I drew of your daddy right after I told him I wanted to marry him. He went to sleep and I drew his picture.”

She looked and giggled. “It’s good, Daddy.”

“This one is Frankie with you when you were three years old.” I said, opening the book to another page.

“Daddy, I wanna draw like yous.” She said in awe.

“I drew this off of our CD. Remember?”

“They’re icky and bloody.” She giggled.

“I know.” I smiled.

“Daddy can you draw me now?”

“I haven’t drawn much lately, babe.” I said.

“Pur-leeease?” she asked eagerly. “I’ll be really still, Daddy.”

“Okay.” I laughed.

“Where at?”

“With Daddy! DADDY! COME HERE!”

Frank came in, coughing.

“Daddy’s gonna draw us. Come sit with me, Daddy.”

Frank nodded, coughed again, and came to sit by me.

“I haven’t drawn people since you were little, Anna.” I sighed, getting out my pencils.

“There’s a first time to redo everythings, Daddy. Can I hang it in my room?”

“If it doesn’t look like shit.” I snorted, opening my book to a blank page.

I felt embarrassed, drawing them when they knew I was. It was different when they didn’t know. I crawled on the bed across from them.

“Just us, babe.” Frank said, touching his foot against mine.

I smiled, still feeling shy. I began to draw, biting my lip. I messed up and cursed under my breath.

“Chill out, babe.” Frank said, touching his foot against mine again.

“I keep messing up.” I muttered.

“It’s okay.” He assured me. “Just relax.”

I took a deep breath, looked at the paper, and began to draw….

Christmas Break…
Frank’s POV

“Hi Uncle Mikey!” Bella squealed, running and jumping for Mikey. He scooped her up and kissed her, laughing.

“How was the flight?” I asked Jenny, who was holding Katie.

“Like it always is.” She laughed.

“I gets presents on Christmas, Uncle Mikey!”

“Do you?” Mikey asked.

“Uh-huh. Santa is bringing them right down the chimney and unda the tree. But Daddy says Santa is nice and won’t hurt anybody, especially me because I’m so good.”

“Ah, Santa wouldn’t do that.” Mikey laughed.

“You never know, Uncle Mikey. You never know.”

Mikey smiled and hugged her again. “Are you excited?”

She squealed, jumping up and down. “SANTA’S COMING! SANTA’S COMING!”

“Calm down, babe. You’ll have an asthma attack.”

Bella pouted and ran to hug Jenny and kiss Katie’s forehead. “Can I hold him, Auntie Katie? Because soon I get to hold the baby and I needs lots of practice so I no drop him.”

“Sit down on the couch and you can.” Jenny smiled.

Bella squealed and sat on the couch. Jenny set Katie in her arms and Katie began cooing away. She would spit out a random word, but most of it was baby babble.

Bella giggled. “She’s funny, auntie Jenny. She’s talking to me. Does she like me?”

“I think she does.”

“Guess what, Uncle Mikey!” Bella suddenly squealed.

“What?” he asked.

“If Sonny is here when da baby is born he says he can come and plays with mes because his daddy thinks I’m aforkable.”

Mikey laughed, nodding.

“I likes Sonny. We is adopting him, Uncle Mikey Just like me and da baby boy.”

“Oh.” Mikey arches his eyebrow at Gerard, who shrugged.

“Daddy, can we name the baby Sonny? Please?” Bella asked Gerard.

Oh no. Here we go. Not this. Gerard’s is physically unable to say no to Bella.

“U-Uh…” he said.

“Baby, we’ve already told you what we’re choosing between.”

“But Daddy, I likes Sonny better.”

“I still go with Pepperwinkle Toot.” Mikey said cheerfully.

“Mikey?” I asked.

“Yeah?”

“Shut up.”

Three Days Later…

Sonny’s POV

“We is gonna has a baby, Sonny!”

Damn, why’d I say I’d keep her? It’s ten in the morning and I’m tired.

Okay. Maybe not. They’re getting a baby! I bet I can corrupt it and paint its nails black and teach it Rappy-Lingo and all sorts of stuff. Because Matt painted Annabelle’s nails before I got the chance, and Mikey taught her to sing rap.

So now I have to think of something original to do.

I do feel kinda bad for her, though, because she’s getting bullied in school. Gerard told me a few days ago.

It’s kinda cool that I just happen to be in Canada when all of this is going on.

I think I’m overmedicated at the moment. Wohoo!

Later That Day…
Frank’s POV

He’s so tiny with blue eyes and dark brown hair. He’s got ten perfect little fingers and ten perfect little toes. All in the right places too.

I haven’t been this happy since I first held Bella while we waited for Gerard to get back with her stuff. The teenager is really nice and grateful for us taking her baby boy. She’s sweet, but is too young to be a mommy so I don’t really feel guilty.

I should let Gerard hold him soon, but I’m I awe. The girl already went home because it’s Christmas Eve and she looked in good health, but we have to wait until ten tonight. It’s seven.

Gerard was sitting with me, looking at the baby and smiling.

“I love him already.” I whispered, handing him reluctantly to Gerard. He held the baby just right, supporting it’s neck and back.

A woman came in with papers. “Have you two chosen a name yet?”

I looked at Gerard.

“No, we haven’t. Is that okay?”

“Of course its okay. Several people do wait a few days to a week to decide.” She smiled. “I can send the papers home with you if you haven’t decided by the end of the night. You can bring them back when you have and we’ll make the certificate.”

I nodded, touching my baby’s head. I was still in awe. How was he so perfect? So angelic?

“He’s perfect.” Gerard said, reading my mind. “He’s so light and tiny.”

I nodded in agreement. The little guy began to cry loudly just as Mikey, Ray, Bob, Sonny, and Bella walked in.

“He’s loud, Daddy. Turn him off.” Bella said, coming over. I pulled her on the bed and sat her on my lap.

Everyone came close to look and the baby quieted, looking around him. Gerard talked quietly to the baby, who seemed to calm down.

“Daddy, can I hold the baby?” Bella asked.

“Not right now, Annabelle.” I whispered. “You can when we get home.”

She pouted and touched the baby’s little hand. “I think we should name him Sonny.” She said knowingly.

Sonny grinned. “Who wouldn’t want a child modeled after moi?”

“Me.” Gerard teased.

“Hey, I’ll have you know that I am a very good boy. Most of the time.” Sonny said defensively, still smirking.

“Excepts for when yous gotted in troubles for that bad drinks, Sonny. Remembers? Your Daddy was highly upset.”

“She’s using big phrases now. Has anyone noticed?” Bob asked.

“I have!” Ray said happily.

“I think the baby wants his Uncle Mikey.” Gerard said, looking down at the baby who was staring at Mikey. “Wanna hold him, Mikes?”

“Yeah.” Mikey grinned and, looking very experienced (he does have a baby of his own, after all), took the baby from Gerard. “Hey, little guy.”

The baby boy cooed.

“Decided on the name yet?”

“Yes, we have.” Annabelle said. “Sonny.”

Gerard swatted her hair. “Baby, that’s Sonny’s name.”

“So? If we name it stinky Garret it’ll be like your name.” she pouted.

“I happen to like the name Garret!” I exclaimed, tickling her.

She giggled.

“I like Riley.” Bob said.

“Me too.” Ray offered.

“Well I like Aiden.” Gerard grumbled. “And it suits him.”

“You know there is a new band called Aiden?” Ray asked. “I don’t like them.”

“I think they’re okay.” Sonny said.

“Nope. They suck.” Ray said.

“They don’t suck. They’re just new.” Mikey said, then went back to talking to the baby.

“Well we were awesome when we were new.” Gerard said happily. “And we were even more awesome when Frankie joined.”

“That’s only because I’m just that awesome.” I said, beaming.

“Daddy, I’m hungry now.” Bella said.

“Yay! Lets go eat some awful hospital food!” Sonny said, taking her. “And we can run down the halls and not get caught!”

“YAY!” Bella said happily and they ran off.

Gerard’s POV

“Aiden.”

“No. Riley or Garret.”

“Aiden Garret. Aiden Riley.”

“No. No, no, no. I hate that name.”

“You don’t hate the name, you’re stubborn.”

“Geraaaaard.”

I rolled my eyes.

“You think you’d want him to be named Garret after you.”

“So he can hate me? No thanks.”

“Gerard, I don’t ask for much!” he whined.

“That’s why you can pick the middle name.” I said, holding my baby boy. “Isn’t that right? We like Aiden better, huh?”

“Fine, you win.” Frank huffed.

“YES! I always win.” I said, nodding at baby Aiden. “Just because I’m so nice you can pick the middle name.”

“Oh, fuck you.” Frank muttered.

“What’s the middle name gonna be?”

“I haven’t decided.”

“Between Riley or Garret?”

“Between Riley or Landon.”

“Landon?” his eyebrow shot up. “Why not Garret after me?”

“Oh no you don’t! You aren’t conniving your way into the WHOLE name, Gerard Way.”

“Hmph.” Gerard said, cuddling Aiden to his chest. “Daddy’s just a mean poopy face, isn’t he?”

The baby yawned and fell asleep.

“Aiden Riley.” I said. “I’ll settle for that.”

“Fine.” Gerard said. “That works for me.”

“Bet it does.” I grumbled, reaching for Aiden. Gerard carefully gave him to me and I curled in bed with him, stroking his head. He continued to sleep and I watched him for a good hour while Gerard took a shower and ate a snack before bed.

“Daddy, can I lays with you and the baby?”

I looked up to see Bella at the doorway.

“Yeah, babe.” I smiled and scooted over. She hopped in the bed by me, waking up Aiden. He looked like he was gonna cry, then saw Bella and grinned. “Aiden likes you.”

“We is naming him Aiden?” she asked.

“Yup.” I said.

“Yay! That means we get to adopt Sonny!”

I laughed and shook my head.

"You mean we can't adopt Sonny, Daddy?" Bella's face fell.

"He's too old, babe."

"Nuht-uh! He eats all of our food anyway! PLEASE!"

"Shh! You'll scare the baby."

"So? I want Sonny, Daddy! I WANT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNY!"

"Then go call him, damnit!" I snapped.

"Daddy's on the phone with Bobby Beast. I can't." Bella pouted. "Is no fair."

"Yes, you're so deprived." I rolled my eyes.

"You won't even buy me a horse after all the meany things that says about me, Daddy!"

"You have a horse." I said.

"Oh... Okay."

Frank’s POV
Later That Day…

“I told you she was spoiled.” I said after I finally got both of the kids in bed.

“I’m sure plenty of people forget they own horses.” Gerard said, looking up from where he was writing a new song.

“Gerard, listen to me! You never fucking listen!” I snatched the notebook away.

“Somebody on his period?” Gerard snatched the book notebook back and curled on the couch. “I listened. All you were doing was complaining about the damn horse.”

“You listened to my fucking ass is what you listened to!” I growled, storming upstairs.

Gerard whistled as I went up the stairs.

“Suck this!” I hissed, flipping him off.

“When and where?” he laughed.

“Ass.” I growled.

“Thanks!”

Gerard's POV

And now Frank's mad at me. It isn't my fault Anna wants another horse. How can I possibly control that?

He did say something about listening though. But I heard him loud and clear.

Only I was kind of paying more attention to the notebook.

Which is why he took it from me.

I looked down. He'd smeared the words.

"Thanks, Frank!" I yelled up the stairs.

I heard Aiden start crying.

"You woke him up, you get him!" Frank hissed down the stairs.

"You're closer."

"I hate you right now!" Frank shouted.

"I love you too, babe." I muttered.


Frank's POV

I finally got Aiden back in bed and collapsed onto mine and Gerard's, just lying there. I could hear him moving around downstairs and wanted to be asleep before he came in, just so I wouldn't have to listen to him.

No such luck. He came in and I rolled the other way, closing my eyes. He went around slamming things until I finally sat up.

"If you fucking wake them I'll castrate you, Gerard Way. Quit making so much noise."

"Quit being a whiny bitch and maybe I will."

I threw my shoe that was on the ground at him. It missed (What? I have bad aim) and broke the mirror.

"I HATE YOU!" I screamed.

"God, you are moody today." Gerard got in bed.

"You left the fucking light on." I snapped, scooting as far away from him as I could.

"Turn it off then."

"Tomorrow we are having a talk." I hissed, getting up to turn off the light. "And you are gonna listen."

"Mhmm."

"Fine! I'll sleep downstairs!"

Gerard’s POV

I went downstairs and saw Frank at the coffee pot, staring at it blankly. I wrapped my arms around him from behind, sliding my hands up the front of his shirt. “I love you, babe.”

“I love you too.” He said, tilting his head back. I kissed his neck and he moaned happily. “Take me now, Gerard.”

“Get up, Gerard.”

My eyes snapped open and I looked at Frank.

“We have to meet Brian and the guys in an hour. Get up.” He said before storming out of the room.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

Wonder how long he’ll be mean this time, I thought to myself, pulling on some jeans and a Morrissey T-shirt.

Gerard's POV

"Are you two fighting again?" Ray asked when we came into the restaurant.

"No." Frank snapped.

"Yes." I said.

Frank glared at me.

"What? We are, aren't we? B/c I never listen."

"Well, you don't!" Frank hissed, sitting down between Mikey and Ray.

"Oh, that's mature." I said, sitting by Bob and Brian.

"Guys, shut up." Bob snapped. "How are we supposed to get anything done with you fucking blabbing all day?"

"Oh, fuck you." Frank and I snapped together.

Mikey’s POV

“Would you guys open the bathroom door? I have to piss!” I shouted, banging on the door.

The door opened andd a very ruffled Frank and Gerard emerged. Frank was buttoning his shirt and Gerard was pushing down his hair. They were holding hands.

Oh, ew…

“The only bathroom!” I grumbled.

“We used the sink.” Frank said breathlessly.

Gerard smirked happily. “Sorry, Mikey.”

“Uh, I… ew… just, ew, Gerard.” I said, turning into the girls bathroom. Fuck it.

“MOMMY IT’S A MAN!” A little girl shrieked.

Okay. Never mind.

I’ll just explode. Or piss on myself. Which ever comes first.

Frank’s POV

I got home from the store with baby Aiden to find Bella and Gerard on the floor, thrashing around and shouting the words to Bury Me In Black.

Now that’s a song you wouldn’t want you’re barely six year old daughter to sing.

But when her father is the one who wrote the song, it tends to be inevitable.

Gerard looked up and saw us. Aiden was staring at them in amazement. Gerard blushed slightly and turned it off.

"LATE LAST NIGHT!" Bella continued to shriek.

"Babe, daddy's home." Gerad said.

"So?" she shrugged.

"You are insane, Gerard Way." I said, shaking my head. "Isn't Daddy insane, Aiden?"

Aiden put his thumb into his mouth and looked at me with wide green eyes.

"Yes, he is." I cooed. "Daddy's insane."

I'm insane? Last night, at three in the morning, you went to Speedway for Skittles. Three in the morning, Frank. Who's the crazy one?"

"You. B/c you're teaching our fiv eyear old daughter about 'seeing your insides', love."

Gerard rolled his eyes. "She'll have great taste in music, Frankie."

"I hate you, you hate me." Bella sang. "We're a grumpy family with a smack in the head and a kick to the balls. Let's all hang Dear Sandy Clause."

"Don't be mean to Santa or you won't get any presesnts." I told Bella, giving her a stern look.

"I don't need Santa. You's gives me enoughs alredy."

"Oh! Don't let Santa hear!" Gerard gasped. "Take it back, take it back!"

"Why?" Bella asked.

"Cause he hears and sees you. Everything."

"He watches me?" Bella asked, eyes widening in horror. "DADDY I'M SCARED!" She began sobbing.

“Don’t be scared, Bella.” I said as she threw her arms around my legs. “Santa’s good.”

“B-but he watches me, Daddy. When I pee and when I sleep and when I pick my nose when I’m not apposed to.” She sniffed, wiping her eyes.

I handed Aiden to Gerard and scooped her up. “Santa only watches you when I or Daddy tells him.” I assured her. “And he hasn’t seen you doing that. He only sees you when the kids are mean to you, cause he’s gonna put them on his naughty list.”

“B-but I’m scared, Daddy.”

“Don’t be.” Gerard said. “Santa’s nice. And this morning he told me you’re on the top of his good list.”

“Yous seed him?” she asked.

“Yeah. He says you’ve been a very good girl and you’re gonna get something you’ve been wanting on Christmas morning.”

She sniffed. “Anubber pony?”

“No.” I said instantly.

“Aww, shucks.” She pouted.

A Few Hours Later…
Gerard’s POV

“Daddy, why does Aiden’s poopy smell ickier than mine?” Anna asked as I was changing Aiden.

“Uhm… because he’s a baby. I really don’t know, babe.” I said. She tended, lately, to hang around whoever had Aiden. Frank was taking a nap now, meaning she hung around me. “Do you wanna help me put Aiden’s diaper on?”

“But then I’d see his pee pee, Daddy.” Anna gasped.

“Oh… alright, then.” I shrugged and fastened the new diaper, then scooped little baby Aiden up. “How is Daddy’s big boy, huh?”

Aiden cooed adorably, nuzzling me.

“You’ve already gotten so big.” I said, looking at him in amazement. He rested his head on my shoulder and closed his eyes. I laid on the couch with him and Anna sat down. “Babe, there’s room for you too.” I said.

“I might squish Aiden.” She said.

“Nah.” I said, scooting over. She got on and nuzzled me as well, then touched Aiden’s cheek. He gasped and opened his eyes. When they fell on his sister he smiled and began cooing to her.

“He likes me, Daddy!” Anna said happily.

“I know. You’re his big sister.”

“I knows, Daddy. And we is never gonna fight or anythings.”

“I’m gonna hold you to that, kid.” I laughed.

“How? You can’t hold words, Daddy.”

“Nevermind, Bella.”

"Okay, Daddy. Can I hold Aiden please?"

"Oh, that means I gotta sit up." I groaned.

"Daddy, you isn't THAT old. Even though Daddy says you're an old fart knocker. Daddy, how do you knock farts?"

"Uh... Bella, I dunno the answers to these questions."

"Does that mean you is stupid, Daddy? But that would mean I is stupid. Daddy, is I stupid?"

"No, Bella."

"The says I am at school." she said, nodding. "And they says you and daddy is maggots or something. I kicked David cause he says you looks like a girl. But I's gotted in trouble with the principal."

"Thank you for taking up for me, baby." I said, smiling sadly at her.

"Is okay. And daddy, I don't likes school very muches. Can I just stay home and watch stinky Barney?"

"Baby, I'll talk to Daddy and we'll find out what to do." I said, ruffling her hair. Aiden had fallen asleep.

"Otay, Daddy. But I likes my teacher. She is nice, Daddy. But she says the ubber kids no understand that me having two daddies is okay b/c they has mommies. Daddy, why don't I have a mommy? I used to."

"Baby, I... I dunno." I said. God, I'd expected this talk when she was 11. Not five. She wasn't supposed to remember so much.

"But you has to, Daddy! I remember when you took me home, Daddy. Cause I peed and you showed me the potties and gave me a bear."

"I did." I nodded.

"But why did Momma give me away?"

I stared at her, not knowing what to say. Where was Frank when you needed him?

"Babe... your momma couldn't... er..."

"Couldn't what?"

I sighed. "They... they weren't... shit, Anna. I dunno. I... they weren't fit to be parents."

"So you go to the store and try on kids like jeans?" she asked.

I rubbed my head. "Baby, no..."

"Then why did you say they wasn't fitted?"

"Because they didn't take very good care of you, babe. You didn't get enough to eat, you..." I said. I couldn't tell her they beat her. Hell, she might even remember. "Baby, I don't know. They just couldn't do it and Frank and I... could. If we're even doing a good job, that is. Frank is. I'm just kinda here most of the time."

She hugged me. "I love both of my daddies. But I just wants to know why my momma didn't love me anymore. And is you and Daddy gonna give me away too now that you have Aiden?"

"Of course not, Annabelle! We could NEVER give you away."

She smiled at me.

"I mean, someone has to look over that horse." I smiled back.

She giggled. "I love you, Daddy."

"Oh, I love you too." I said, hugging her.

I looked up, hearing Frank come in. He gave me this huge smile and I knew he’d heard everything. He came over and sat on the floor by us, after kissing me.

“You are a great Dad, Gerard.” He whispered, touching my cheek.

“Thanks.” I said, blushing.

"Don't thank me. You're the good dad." Frank laughed. "So, Bella, what do you want for dinner?"

"I want chicken, Daddy!" she said, giving him a big grin.

"The meat. If you want chicken, talk to Gerard." Frank said. He hated that Annabelle ate meat, but didn't say much b/c he knew she needed it.

"Daddy...." Anna said sweetly. "I love you.”

"Do I have to, Bella?" I whined.

"Yes, unless you wants to be a bad daddy." she said, nodding seriously.

"Frankie..." I whined.

"I am NOT cooking meat so don't even try it, Gerard. Sorry."

"Is McDonalds good with you, Annabelle?"

"Sextatic!" She giggled.

"WHAT?!" Frank and I asked together.

"Sextastic, Daddy. I learned it at school."

"Bella, you can't say that." Frank said.

"Why not?"

"B/c it's bad, baby. It means something bad."

"Fine. It's orgasmic."

"You can't use that word either, Bella." I said quickly.

"What word CAN I use, Daddy? Climaxing? Coming?"

"Baby, who taught you these words?" Frank asked.

"Uh... the kids at school."

"Baby, let's just go get your happy meal." I shuddered. "Come get in the car."

"Sextastic!"

Two Days Later...
Frank's POV

"Gerard, Bella's teacher just called. She... she got beat up at school today."

"WHAT?!"

"She got... I don't know, Gerard. She's in the nurses office. They said it's pretty bad."

"She's in fucking kindergarten!"

"It was a 11 year old from the middle school across the street, Gee." I said, my lip trembling. "Let's just go."

Thirty Min. Later
Gerard's POV

"I don't care about your fucking apologies. I want to see my daughter!" I screamed.

"Sir, she's with the school nurse."

"I don't give a fuck! Let me see her now!"

"If you'll hold on."

"No, I won't." Gerard said.

The door opened and a man carried Bella in. She began crying when she saw her daddies and reached for me, who was closest.

"Here she is." the man said kindly.

I took her from him and pushed her hair back. "Baby, are you okay?"

She shook her head.

"We're gonna take you to a doctor and you're never coming back here again, Anna." I promised her.

"Sir--."

"She's been picked on since the first day she got here."

"Maybe if her fathers were fags she wouldn't be picked on!" The principal said.

"Daddy, why is he saying that?" Anna whispered.

"You fucker!" Frank screamed, poucing at the guy.

"DADDY!" Anna began to cry.

"FRANK!" I shouted.

Frank began punching the man repeatedly.

"Frank, you're gonna get hurt." I said, handing Anna to the nice man and pulling Frank off of the principal.

"he didn't care that she was getting picked on! Every time we talked to him he fucking lied! He did nothing!" Frank said, near tears.

"Shh." I said. "Anna needs you now. Don't get arrested."

"But Gee--."

"Shh."

"Bella, come here." Frank sniffed, reaching for her.

Bella reached for Frank and he gently took her.

"We're going to go home now. I'm signing her out." I said as Frank left the building with a crying Bela.

The kind man held out a clip board. "I'm very sorry, Mr. Way."

"Yeah. Me too."

"Your daughter will be fine, just sore for a few days." The doctor said.

I nodded and grasped Frank's hand.

"She's a little scared too." A nurse added.

Frank let go of my hand and scooped Bella up. "Oh, my big girl. Are you okay?"

"Don't make me go back, Daddy." she sniffled.

"I won't make you go back, baby. I promise. You don't have to go back."

She nodded, wrapping her arms around my neck.

Gerard signed her out and we took her home. Gerard called Mikey and told him what happened. Soon Mikey, Bob, and Ray were over to cuddle on Annabelle and make her feel better.

A Few Weeks Later...
Frank's POV

Bella's bruises and cuts had finally cleared up and she was back to being our sweet little baby girl.

She loved helping Gerard and I with Aiden and had fed him completely on her own all week.

Ironically enough, if Aiden cried Bella could always get him to stop. Sometimes Gerard and I could, but 99% of the time if Bella came into the room he'd start sniffling and cooing, reaching for his big sissy.

I woke up a little late one day and Gerard, as always, was fast asleep next to me. I heard quiet talking so I got out of bed and headed towards Aiden's nursery. Bella was sitting on the floor by the bed, reading to a cooing Aiden.

"Hey." I said, leaning on the door frame.

"Hi Daddy!" Bella waved. "Me and Aiden letted you and Daddy sleep in."

"Oh, thank you." I laughed, sitting by her on the ground after getting Aiden out of his crib. "Hello, handsome." I cooed. "Is your sissy reading to you? Is she?"

Aiden cooed back.

"She is. Yes, she is." I tickled his belly, causing him to giggle.

There was a knock on the door frame and Gerard stepped in. "Can I come in?"

Bella nodded, giggling. "Can I sit on your lap, daddy?"

He yawned, ran a hand through his hair, and sat dawn all while nodding. Bella scrambled onto his lap, placing the book back in her lap.

I smiled at Gerard, scooting next to him and lying my head on his shoulder.

"I love you." he whispered in my ear as Bella began to read again.

"I love you too."


THE END.

The sequel to this story is here. It's title was recently changed to meet Mibbas writing guidelines. Click the link below,
Sequel To The Pros and Cons of Breathing