The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Part 20

Ray's POV

"Are you two fighting again?" I asked Gerard.

"No. He's just after my balls." Gerard muttered, picking at his food. "Where is he?"

"Eating in the studio. He kinda hates you at the moment. I think it's time for a one-on-one talk."

"You know that'd be a good idea, Toro. If he'd fucking listen to me."

"Well maybe if you weren't being so cocky he would listen. It sounds like you're making him feel pretty shitty. He says you let Annabelle do stuff he says she can't, buys her what he says he won't, lets me her eat what she wants. He also says you act like he's just your fuck buddy."

"Well that's stupid." he muttered.

"If its got him this upset, you really think its stupid? Frank isn't a teenager, throwing a fit over every little thing. You just made him snap today and you're gonna have to make him see he isn't just your maid and fuck buddy."

"HE WON'T TALK TO ME." Gerard said.

"Make him, you ass. Make him. You'd be one stupid fucker to lose your family over this."

Frank’s POV

“Frank if you won’t talk to me how am I supposed to fix this?”

I closed my eyes and ignored Gerard. I felt his hand on my shoulder. “Please, just leave me alone right now Gerard.”

“I love you.” Gerard whispered and I felt tears well in my eyes. I blinked them away rapidly. “Frankie, babe… c’mon and talk to me. I wanna spend some time with you before our show.”

I ignored him.

“Fine.” He sighed and left.

A Few Hours Later…

“Now, but I can’t, and I don’t know. How were just two men as God had made us—.” Gerard sang, leaning into the screaming audience. “Too much, too late, and just not enough of this… pain in my heart for your dying wish… I’ll kiss your lips again.”

He was by me and he leaned in to kiss me. I dodged him and ran to the other side of the stage, tearing my guitar off and jumping into the audience.

Gerard just kept singing and eventually I found myself back on stage. Man, it felt great being back on stage.

If only I wasn’t so pissed at Gerard.

Gerard’s POV

“I tried talking to him and everything. You saw how he acted on stage.” I said.

“Gerard, get over it! Go and drag him out of here. I don’t know. But I’m not gonna listen to you whine when you’re in the wrong, okay?”

“He won’t let me fix it. He won’t talk to me.”

“Then don’t talk, Gerard. Show him.” Mikey grumbled, getting up and going off to find Jenny.

I sighed. I felt bad for Ray’s girlfriend, who we’d be meeting tomorrow. She had no idea what she was getting into.

Frank’s POV

I woke up with Annabelle next to me, curled into my side. I ran my fingers through her black curls, sighing. She was over not having her pony, should I be over being mad at Gerard? So he hurt my feelings. Whatever. Who cares. He’s tried apologizing.

I sat up and saw a piece of paper by my pillow. I picked it up, opened it, and read it.

‘Meet me in the lounge and don’t eat breakfast. Just give me one chance, Frankie. Please.’

That’s all it said. Not even an ‘I love you’. I crumbled it and threw it away.

“Go.” Bob said from the couch where he and Amanda were curled together. “He’s been up all night. Just go and hear him out.”




“There comes a time—.” Gerard screamed into the microphone. “In every marriage or relationship period— that you’re partner is gonna piss you off! You’re gonna be angry, you’re gonna want to kill them, but you’re always going to love them!”

He turned to me.

“Like I know you love me, Frank.” He said more quietly.

So I should’ve gone to his breakfast. But I didn’t.

“And I want you to give me one more chance. I was stupid, I was a jerk, but I love you. More than anything.” He had come up to me.

“I love you too.” I said quietly, smiling. “I love you too.” I threw my arms around him in a tight hug.

“The point I’m trying to make, kids, is listen once in a while. When your mom talks, your grandma, your boyfriend, or your husband.” He looked at me. “Listen instead of talk. Now we don’t really have a song about listening, so lets pretend that Hang ‘Em High is cause that’s whats next on our list.”

I kissed Gerard as Ray began to play guitar. He kissed back and we may have missed our cues to begin playing, but we weren’t fighting anymore and that was all that mattered.

Gerard’s POV

“Yeah, they’re fags. You didn’t know?”

My eyes opened and I looked around. I’d fallen asleep in the backstage lounge.

“No, seriously. They’re GAY?”

“Yeah, the guitarist and the singer are married. That little brat is theirs.”

“Nuht-uh. You’re lying.”

“Am not. They’re out and everything. You didn’t see them making out onstage?”

“Stage kiss.”

“Who cares. A fag is a fag either way.”

I sighed quietly and sat up. Two people walked into the room and went pale when they saw me. I stared, unblinking, at them.

“Mr. Way, Brian sent me to tell you to come on to your bus, sir.” A tall and skinny one said.

“Thanks.” I said in the meanest voice I could muster.

The man was much taller than me and stared me down.

“Excuse me.” I said, standing. I made my way towards the door.

“Are you really a fag?” The other guy asked.

“Does it really concern you who I have sex with? I mean, if you get that hot and bothered by knowing, I can tell you.”

“I bet that means he is.” The tall guy said. “Bet they really are married. What’s your brat think, huh? Did you ever thin about her going to school? You’ve doomed your brat already and she isn’t even in school yet.”

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. When she went to school, what WOULD the kids say? They’d never understand. The world is full of fuckers like these two asses.

“Shove off.” I said, moving past them and heading towards the bus. I stared at my feet as I walked, thinking about what those guys had said. It was true, every last word…

Frank’s POV

“What’s wrong?” I asked Gee when he got on the bus ten minutes after Brian sent our runner to the lounge.

He shook his head and sat on the couch by Bob, pulling his legs under him.

“Daddy, I love you!” Bella shrieked, jumping onto Gerard’s lap. He almost fell over, but at least he laughed. Bob held onto Gerard’s arm to keep him from falling. Bella’s head was three inches from hitting the floor of the bus.

“Woah, babe.” Gee laughed as Bob helped him straighten up.

“Wazz up, Daddyshizzle?” she asked. “East side, my home dogs.”

“Who watched her last?” Mikey called.

“Sonny and Matt.” Bob said.

“For some reason I can’t picture Sonny and Matt teaching her the lingo of the…. The…. Rappy-people.” Gerard laughed, snuggling Bella.

“For shizzle.” Bella giggled.

“For shizzle shizzle.” Gerard said in a high voice, pushing his nose againstg hers.

She reached up and touched his cheek. Her nails were black. Now that Sonny and Matt probably did.

“I love you Daddy.” She said quietly.

“Well I love you too.” Gerard kissed her cheek. “How much do you love me, babe?”

She stretched her arms out wide.

“Well you know what? I love you that much and more.” He said, opening his arms.

“That’s big.” She giggled.

“Are you calling me big?” Gerard asked, kissing her cheek some more.

“Yup. Daddy’s fat.” She giggled.

“Aww, that isn’t nice.”

“You know what else isn’t nice?” she asked, gigging.

“What?”

“I gotta poopy, that’s what.”

I got up, taking her from Gerard. We went into the bathroom and she sat on the toilet. I was standing next to the door, looking down at my finger nails. She was singing “Pump It” under her breath.

Who was teaching her all this? By God, I’ll kill them slowly.

I bet it’s Mikey. You’d never suspect it.

But he does sing My Humps a lot!

Mikey’s ass is so mine. “Okay, Daddy. I’m done.” She said, hopping up and pulling her pants up. She washed her hands, then ran outside squealing for Gerard. They rolled around on the floor for almost an hour, laughing and tickling each other. Finally Annabelle pushed him away, giggling, and reached for her inhaler. Her asthma hadn’t bothered her nearly as much as Mikey’s when he was younger, but she still had to take the medicine for it.

“Mikey, did you teach her that?” I asked.

He bit his lip, looking down. “Of course not.”

Bob and Ray began laughing quietly.

“Busted.” Ray muttered.

“I’m gonna have to kick your butt now, Mikey.” I sighed, shaking my head.

Mikey began to laugh as well. "It was funny while it lasted." “For shizzle!” Bella giggled, climbing into mine and Gee’s bunk. She curled up and was asleep within minutes.

“Why did you do that?” I whined, well aware I sounded Bella’s age.

“Because your expression was fucking hilarious.” Mikey laughed.

“Well Katie is gonna learn the Rappy-lingo too, buddy. I’ll make sure of it.”

“Wawawaaaaa.” Ray laughed.

Gerard’s POV
6 Months Later…

“The… dog… cr-… cro-…”

I smiled, listening to Anna trying to read.

“Cro… Daddy, what is it?”

“Crossed.” Frank whispered.

“Crossed the… the… store?”

“Street, babe.”

“Crossed the street and b-ba-… bark—barked! Barked and… and… la… laid down u-un… under h-his… dog… dog h-h— house?” she looked at Frank.

“Good girl.” Frank said, hugging her tight.

“I can read, Daddy!” Anna exclaimed happily, looking at me.

“That’s great.” I said, sitting on her other side so she was between Frank and I.

“Daddy, does I have to go to school?” Anna looked at me.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” I said. “But everyone is gonna love you.”

She giggled and opened her book to a random page. It was a Disney book and had Beauty and the Beast in it. She squealed happily, pointing. “Can you read it to me, Daddy?” she asked.

“Why don’t you read it to me?” I asked.

“I’m scared.” She whispered. “I dunno how.”

“Yes you do!” I tickled her belly. “I just heard you.”

“What if I mess up?” she asked, giggling.

“I’ll help you.” I said, smiling at Frank. Frank grinned back.

Anna sighed, sat up straight, and looked at the book with determination in her eyes. “O-Once… upon a time! Daddy, that’s in the movies and stuff!”

“Yeah.” I laughed.

“Once upon a time in a f-forest l-lived a… a pretty g-girl nam-named… named Belle! Like me, Daddy!” she squealed. I laughed again and ruffled her curls. She continued to read and didn’t stop when Frankie got up to answer the doorbell.

“BABY!” Anna screamed, throwing the book aside and rushing to Mikey. “I see baby, Uncle Mikey! I is big girl and can read! Ask daddy, ask daddy, ask daddy!”

“She can.” I said.

Mikey sat on a chair, baby Katie cooing in his arms. Frank stood over Mikey, smiling down at Katie.

“Can I please hold her, Mikey? I can read to her! I has Beauty! Please! I won’t drop her like I almost did yesterdays. I promised!”

Mikey looked at me, looking reluctant. “If you sit on my lap, okay.”

She pouted as Frank took Katie and began cooing to her, tickling her belly. Mikey pulled her on his lap and then Frank handed her Katie. She held Katie, humming, for about three minutes until she got bored.

“Can I hold her?” Frank asked Mikey.

“Sure.” Mikey handed Frankie Katie and went to the kitchen, coming back with some coffee.

“I drinks coffee too, Mikey!” Anna squealed.

“Apple juice.” I mouthed behind her.

“Oh. That’s good.” Mikey said.

“Is very yummy.” Anna giggled, looking at Frank. She ran to him. “Daddy, come read with me.”

“Daddy’s holding the baby right now.”

“But Daddy!” she whined.

“Bella, stop.” Frank snapped.

“All you care about is stupid babies anymore. I’m not good enough anymore.” Anna whispered and stormed upstairs.

“W-what?” Frank asked.

I stood up. “What was that about? Did she hear us talking about adopting a baby yesterday?”

“She must have. I thought she was sleeping.”

“Shit.” Frank and I said together.

“I’ll go so you can talk to Bella.” Mikey said, standing.

Frank handed him Katie. “Bye, Mikey.”

“Bye.”

A Few Min Later…
Frank’s POV

“Bella, baby.”

Bella didn’t look up from her bed where she was lying on her stomach.

“Annabellie…” Gerard sound, pouncing on her bed. He began to tickle her but she kicked at him, screaming. “Annabelle, what’s wrong?”

“You don’t want me anymores.” She sniffed, tears pouring down her eyes.

“Of course we do.” I said, sitting down by her. “You’re our first baby.”

“You likes Katie better than me. You always hold her.”

”I like holding babies and I never see her. I always see you. Don’t you get sick of Daddy?”

She shook her head, lip trembling. “No.”

“Oh, baby.” I said, holding her. “I love you more than life itself. But I was thinking maybe you’d like a baby brother or sister. You can play with them, teach them to read, sing with them. When Daddy and I are busy you won’t be bored.” I brushed her hair from her face.

“B-but I don’t want you to g-give me away.”

“We would never give you away, Bella. We love you.” I said, kissing her cheek.

She continued to cry. “But I isn’t your little baby.”

Gerard pulled her to him. “Baby, we love you. We love you more than anything. You are a part of our family. Do you know what that means?”

She sniffled. “But isn’t you gonna take me and leave me like my Momma did?”

“Baby, NO. No, no, no, no, no. We will never leave you, okay? Baby, how can we make you see we won’t hurt you? How? I’ll do it, babe. I’ll do it in an instant if you’ll just tell me.”

She continued to cry. “I dunno.”

Gerard rocked her back and forth, whispering to her. She kept on crying and sniffling, but nodded and curled into him. “Now go hug Daddy, huh? Cause he loves you just as much as I do.” Gerard said, kissing her cheek.

She crawled to me, sniffling.

“I love you baby.” I told her, hugging her close.

“I love you too, Daddy.” She hugged me back.

We laid on her small bed, curled and squished together, until Bella sat up.

“Daddies, can we go to McDonalds?” she asked, smiling sweetly.

“Sure.” Gerard laughed, getting up. He helped me up and we made our way towards the car.

Gerard’s POV
That Night, Late…

“Are we doing this or not?”

I looked at Frank.

“It isn’t fair to put Bella through this unless we know it’s going to happen. I don’t want her upset anymore like today for no reason.”

“I want a baby.” I told him.

“You promise you want a baby? You aren’t saying it because I do?”

“I want a baby, Frankie. I promise.”

“…. Okay…. We’ll go tomorrow after Bella’s school orientation.”

I smiled nervously at Frankie. “Alright. Tomorrow.”

Frank’s POV
“A teenager recently came into our facility. She is having a baby boy in December.” A woman, named Emily, told me over the phone three days after we met with an adoption agency in Canada. “She is sixteen years old and cannot possibly care for a baby.”

“Okay.” I said, waving my hand at Gerard who rushed over.

“You can meet with the mother if you’d like. You can also wait and see if we can get you a child sooner.” Emily said.

“What?” Gerard mouthed, reaching for another phone. He picked it up.

“Uh… I’ll have to talk to Gee about it first.” I said excitedly.

“Talk to me about what?” he asked, causing Emily to laugh and explain to Gerard.

“Can we call you back?” I asked Emily as Gerard hung up and ran off to call Mikey.

“Of course, Frank. Bye.”

“Bye.” I hung up and ran to scoop up Bella. “Hello, Princess.”

“Hi Daddy.” She smiled at me and held up a book Ray had given her as a gift yesterday. “I is reading the book, Daddy.”

“That’s good, baby.” I said. “Give Daddy a kiss.”

She giggled and kissed me, then hugged me. “I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you too, princess.” I said, switching her to my other arm. I went into the bedroom where Mikey and Gee had just got off of the phone. “Daddy and I and you have to talk about something.”

“What? Is it about the baby?”

“It is.” Gerard said, looking very excited.

“How would you feel if, in December, you got a baby brother?” I asked her, pushing her hair out of her eyes.

“Does it have to be a stinky boy?” she whined.

“Don’t you always want to be out only little princess?” Gerard asked her.

“I suppose….. I guess it’s okay… but only if I get to keep my Belle room.”

“Alright.” Gerard and I laughed. “It’s a deal.”

Seven Months Later…
Gerard’s POV

“So, have you picked out a name yet?” Tori, Ray’s girlfriend who we had recently met, asked me. She had blonde ringlets that flowed down her shoulders, was just an inch shorter than Frankie, and had changing eye colors sort of like me. When we’d first met her she’d been shy, but now I think she can challenge Frank in a competition for the most hyper award.

“I’m leaning towards Aiden but Frankie’s set on Riley or Garret.” I said, looking up from my drawing. I hadn’t drawn much lately, and I’d decided I’d missed it. In the last few weeks I’d filled three sketch books full and Frankie was picking me one up on his way home from Linda’s tomorrow. He and Anna are gone, but I was too lazy to pack to here I am ar good ole Ray’s. He’s probably getting sick of me by now.

Mainly because I’m stealing his couch and food. But hey, if it weren’t for me he wouldn’t have enough money for the couch and food. So there, Toro. Kiss my ass.

I’m bored anyway. My life is so boring. I should have went with Frankie and Bella, they make life interesting. But with the new baby coming things will definitely be interesting. They’re expecting her the week of Christmas, which is very exciting as well as nerve racking because that time of year is crazy enough. But I don’t mind a Christmas baby.

My cell phone began to ring (“Today” by the Smashing Pumpkins) and I eagerly answered it. “Hey, babe.”

“Hi.” Frank said, sounding happy. “How are you?”

“I’m fine, living off of Ray’s couch and food.” I grinned at Ray, who rolled his eyes and sat down by Tori.

“Is Anna okay and everything?”

“Yeah, she’s napping. I wish you had come, Gee. You can drive up.” Frank said, his voice sounding hopeful.

“I don’t know the way there, sugar.”

“I’ll drive you!” Ray called. “Go! Leave! Car! Now!”

“See? All works out.” Frankie said happily.

Frank’s POV

“GEE!” I ran and threw my arms around Gerard, jumping onto him.

“Hey.” He laughed, kissing me.

“I love you.” I said, kissing him back. I hopped down, waved bye to Ray, and dragged Gerard into mom’s house.

“Hi, Gerard.” Mom hugged Gerard. “Took you long enough.”

He grinned, hugged her back, and went to find Bella. Her, Kaylie, and Liz were all watching Spongebob.

“DADDY!” I heard Bella shriek from the living room. “It’s Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!”

“She really loves him, huh?” Mom asked.

I nodded. “They’ve got that connection you see in movies. Them teaming up together is VERY dangerous.”

Middle of December, Canada
Frank’s POV

“Daddy, how big is the baby gonna be?”

“The baby is gonna be tiny.” I told Bella, kissing her cheek as we put the sheets on the crib.

“Daddy, since I’m six can I help with the baby lots?” Bella asked, pouting. “Please. I’ll be really careful with him. And I still thinks you should name him Sonny, Daddy, cause Sonny is nice and funny.”

“You just like the fact that he bought you a dollhouse.” I snorted.

“Sooo? Can’t we, Daddy?”

“Nope. You know what it’s between, darling.”

“But those are all stinky names.” Bella pouted. “Unlike mine. My name is pretty.”

“I like Riley and Garret. I don’t know WHY Gee wants to name it Aiden. I think it sucks.”

“Name it Gaston, Daddy!”

“I am NOT naming my child Gaston. Or Pepperwinkle Toot like Mikey suggested.”

“But why would you name it Pepperwinkle Toot, Daddy? Was Uncle Mikey drunk again?”

I laughed. “No, baby. He was joking. Er… I hope.”

“Good because the baby is gonna be named Sonny. Not Pepperstinkle Craps.”

I shook my head, trying not to laugh.

“Daddy, how many toys is Sonny gonna have?”

“The baby is not gonna be named Sonny, Bella.”

“Is so. Cause I want it to and I is your princess.”

“It doesn’t work that way, baby.”

“If we don’t name the baby Sonny can we buy Sonny from his mommy and daddy cause he isn’t an adult yet because he gotted in trouble for drinking that bad stuff.”

I laughed again, placing the blanket on the crib.

“Please, Daddddddy.”

“Maybe, babe.”

“Maybe my butt.”

“Hey, don’t talk like that.” I said, glaring at her.

“What, you says worse stuff. Daddy, my teacher says that I is doing very good in my classes only I’s is not getting along with da boys and girls cause I’s weird and has two daddies in a big band.”

I inwardly sighed. Maybe Gee was right about this whole public school thing. “You just… have to try to make friends.”

“I do, daddy. They tells me my daddies are fags and I’ll be a lesbon or something, Daddy. Is that like a lizard?”

“Did you tell the teacher?” I asked.

“No.” she shrugged. “Daddy, the teacher likes my hair! She says it’s very pretty long when the other guys put gums in it cause they is bad and said it was ugly.”

“Baby, why didn’t you tell me or Daddy?”

“Cause you guys is gots lots going on. I is okay though so you doesn’t need to worry.”

“Baby, they… that’s mean. You don’t deserve it.” I said, pulling her close. I kissed the top of her head.

“It’s okay, Daddy, cause when I come home I can help with Baby Sonny.”

I laughed and hugged her. “Do you want me and Daddy to talk to your teacher?”

“No Daddy cause I’m a big girl now. I’m six!”

“But you’re always going to be daddy’s little baby girl.” I said.

“I’ll be fine, Daddy.” She touched my cheek and kissed my nose.

“I love you.” I said, smiling. “If you need me or Daddy to do anything just tell us okay.”

“There is one thing you can do.”

“What, babe?”

“Name the baby Sonny!”