So Long, Soldier

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Jack's Pov.

It has been a week and Katelyn hasn't woken up. The day I first came to see her, her mom, Katelyn's mom had told us that Katelyn had to go through a lot of blood transfusions and that's why it took them so long to have visitors since she lost a lot of blood.

All of us including Kara, Riley and Lisa were going to go see Katelyn after all of our moms asked us to and to sum it up for Lisa, she was absolutely furious.

" How have you been Lisa?" My mom asked as she was driving towards the hospital. " I'm great, thank you, Mrs. Barakat" said Lisa. It was so sweet that it was sickening. I opened my mouth and made a having noise as I pointed to my mouth causing Rian and Zack to burst out laughing.

" Jack Bassam Barakat. Don't make me come back there" my mom said sternly." Okay everyone get out" she said as we stopped in front of he hospital. "Jack,I'll be waiting in the lobby for you guys " I shut the door, heading inside and into the elevator. "Where's Katelyn's room?" Rian asked. " Third floor" I replied as Zack pushed the button causing he doors to close and open back up a minute later.

We finally found Katelyns room once we stepped off the elevator as Katelyns mom stood out in the hallway. "Hey come on in,we've been expecting you" Katelyns mom said as we filed into the room. " what are you talking about" Lisa asked as Riley smacked her. " Don't be so rude" said Rian as we turned our attention back to Katelyn's mom. " I found out that Katelyn can actually hear us even though she's in a coma. That's what I mean" she said. "Awesome" I said as I walked over and carefully hugged her.

"Hi Katelyn, its Jack I hope you wake up soon we all miss you " The sound of feet was heard as we all turned around to see a guy hat looked to be six feet tall, long black hair, a black bandana around his head, a pair of black jeans and a band shirt. He as low had his right ear pierced, beat up old converse and holding an acoustic guitar.

" Oh sorry, I didn't know you had other visitors" " It's okay Ash, You're always welcome to come in, you know Katelyn loves you stopping I " said Katelyn's mom as he smiled. " He loves to come and play the guitar for her" she said as he walked around us and sat in the chair next to the bed. He started a few chords and stopped to adjust the strap and began again.

"We both lie silently still
In the dead of the night
Although we both lie close together
We feel miles apart inside

Was it something I said or something that I did
Did my words not come out right
Though I tried not to hurt you
Though I tried
But I guess that's why they say

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
Every rose has its thorn

Yeah it does

I listen to our favorite song
Playing on the radio
Hear the DJ say life's easy come and
Easy go

But I wonder does he know
Has he felt like this
And I know that you'd be here right now
If I could have let you know somehow
I guess

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
Every rose has its thorn

"Jack" Riley whispered as she pointed over at Katelyn who blinked her eyes open and turned her head to the music. Her eyes looked like they were about to pop out of her head as she looked at this Ash guy. Did he know her or did he do this for all the patients I thought as Alex look at me and whispered " I don't like that guy. He looks like a creep"

" Though it's been awhile now
I can feel so much pain
Like a knife that cuts you the wounds heal
But the scar, that scar remains

I know I could have saved a love that night
If I'd known what to say
Instead I making love
We both went our separate ways

But now I hear you found somebody new
And I didn't mean that much to you
To hear that tears me up inside
And to see you cuts me like a knife
I guess

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
Every rose has its thorn" Ash sang as his voice fades. He opened his eyes and looked over at us. " How was that?" He asked as he got up and. walked over.

"That was great" I said as I smiled. "Yeah that was awesome man" said Rian as Katelyn's mom whispered in his ear causing Ash to turn around and smile at Katelyn. She waved at him like a little school girl causing me, Rian and Zack to laugh. "They are so cute" Riley whispered.

Ash pointed out the door as she nodded. "Riley!" Katelyn shouted as Ash left. Her voice cracked while Ash walked out of the room. "I'll let you two catch up. I'm going to go see if the doctor can bring some water" said Katelyn's mom as she walked out of the room.

Katelyn's Pov.

" Katelyn!" Shouted Riley as she ran over and gave Katelyn a hug. "Maybe we should go to the waitin room" said Jack as he and the group left. "Damn girl, spill" said Riley causing me to laugh. I told her everything that has happened except my cutting and about my real dad before she spoke up.

"Aww Ashley is so sweet and do you hunk what Tom said is true?" Riley asked. "It has to be after what Tom had said. " I don't know though. Maybe it could be a coincidenc said Riley as there was a knock on the door.

After everybody had left, Ashley came back in the room and sat down in the chair next to the bed. I was surprised that had came in the first place and sang one of my favorite songs no less. I just couldn't believe someone would actually do that for me.

You surprise?" Ashley asked. " Yeah I am" I said as I looked at him. " How did you even-" I trailed off as he laughed." I can't even wrap my he'd around it. Just that someone would do this for me" he laughed as he looked at me and spoke up.

"it's no big deal to me, I've been wanting an excuse to come up" said Ashley. " We'll thnk you" I said as everything fell silent until there was another knock on the door. " Come in" I shouted as he door opened.

"Oh you're up" the nurse said with school written across her face."Doctor get in here!" She shouted as she pulled a dinner cart up to the bed.

"Good evening Miss Carter.. It's nice to see your smiling face" said the doctor. "It's nice to see you too" I said as I looked over at Ashley to see him smiling at me. "How are you feeling?" The doctor asked. " tired and starved" I replied. " That's what I like to hear. You were vey under weight for your age group" he said as he wrote something on his clipboard.

"We had you connected to a feeding tube for awhile so you're half way back to your weight age group and we cleaned all the cuts. You had twelve stitches total" he said as he walked over and checked the machines. "We were scared you were gonna make it since you were at 10 percent of making through that"he said walking out.

"Come here Purdy boy" I laughed as I carefully scooted over and made room in the bed for him. He got into the bed, wrapping his arms around me and laid his chin on te top o my head while I buried my face into his chest. The room was quiet except for the so Stuart escaped from he both of us. "Can you help me?" I asked as I looked up at him. " of course" he said as he wiped the tears away. " why don't you drink some of this" said Ashley as he pulled a bottle of water from the dinner cart.

Ashley's Pov.

I looked at this broken and buried girl as she was struggling to drink out of the plastic bootle. What she needed more than anythi right now was a friend to help her out as best as I could to my abilities.

Once I had seen Alex out of the group of her friends with the blos bimbo I knew that he was no good. He was the one who put her through hell and I couldn't stand people who pulled that crap.

" So Ashley where did you say you were from?" She asked. "Missouri. While we're playing fifty questions , do you min hello me why do you have two different names?" I asked "Long story short, my dad is a rockstar who left on tour mom left him and he found out during a sound check. Mom flies to London meets my step dad and changes my name" she smiled.

"So what's your real name?" I asked. "Cheyanne Iris Rzeznik and my name that was changed to is Katelyn Miora Angela Carter" she laughed. "Wow that's a mouthful" " Yeah but I'm not changing it back unless I have t she said as I nodded. " Use it for your rocker name" I said as she smiled. " That's a Purdy good idea" she laughed causing me to smile. "Thanks" I said as we played fifty questions into the night.