So Long, Soldier

In The End

In The End

Katelyn's pov.

When we had got back to my mom's place that afternoon, everyone was in the living room talking amongst themselves and I could hear some crying. Ashley and I put our stuff into the closet and headed into the living room.

"What's going on?" I asked as I looked around at the tear staine faces. Dad stood up and nodded to Ashley. I looked over at Ashley as he had a saddened expression etched onto his face as he nodded. He looked like he wasn't sure what today. Especially he he opened his mouth twice and closed it as he looked up in the air as of searching for something and shook his head.

"Katelyn, Cheyanne, once you graduate next spring -" Ashley trailed of as my mom was crying along with Harley. " I want you to come and live with me . There is too much bullshit going on and y-John-" he said as he trailed off again but picked up where he left off.

"Your dad thinks its best if you get out of Maryland. Your mom agrees with that too. We want you to get better and the only way is if you get out of here"said Ashley as he wrapped his arms around me.

John's Pov.

I watched as Ashley wrapped his arms around Cheyanne and laid his chin on top of her head as she buried her head in his chest. I knew that he knew hat my signal meant just by th pain that was etched onto his face.

He reminded me of how I was with Mackenzie when I was his age. He was attached to Cheyanne and I could tell just by how happy he looked every time I seem them together. I really hope they did work out. He has helped Cheyanne get better no matter what it took even if it meant flying up to see her.

I had taken Ashley with me to Florida during the two weeks that Cheyanne was in the hospital and it was a very emotional visit between the three of us as we sat at the bar in Orlando, Florida. All three of us grown men bawling like babies but I do think that we needed that talk and it was only fate that brought us to talk about it.

FLASHBACK

"It's nice to see you again, John" said Katelyn's step father Sgt. John Michael Carter. " Hello Sergeant" I said as Ashley and I sat at one of the many tables.

"Who is this fellow?"he asked as he looked at Ashley. "I'm Ashley Purdy sir" said Ashley . " I'm a friend of Katelyn's.. oh umm Cheyanne's? Ashley stuttered. "Take it easy boy you may call her either bane. Both are on two different birth certificates but after all the trouble she's been through, I'm sure she'll switch to her birth name. Is that right John?" John Michael asked.

"That's right" I said as John Michael nodded his head. " Do are you the one who put her in the hospital?" He asked looking over at Ashley. "No sir" said Ashley as John was listening intently.

"I think she deserves a lot more respect. She don't deserve to be treated like shit sir. She's a bright smart gorgeous girl and I personally thinks she needs to get rid of his sorry ass sir" said Ashley as I looked at him.

"You seemed smitten by her, is it true boy?" John Michael asked. " Yes, it's true. I've flown from California to see her and will continue to do so as long as she wants me in her life" said Ashley.

"I don't normally say this but, I like you boy and how you think. You keep that son of a bitch away from her. He always seemed fishy to me when Cheyanne talked about him but now he's shown his true colors, I don't like him. Any man who puts a hand on a woman or put her down in any way is a bloody coward. I want you to take care of our little girl Mr. Purdy" said John Michael.

" Your family has raised you right as I hope you end up with her bit is up to her to pick her boyfriend and decisions. This war in Iraq is getting bloody dirty ad I can honestly say half of the soldiers may not make it back. If something" be paused as he wiped the tears out of his eyes.

"If something happens to her , I Want you to take care of her"said John Michael. " Ashley, when the time is right. I want you to give her these " he said as he pulled out a glimmering silver star on a long chain and a diamond encrusted cross to Ashley.

"Yes sir" said Ashleu as he wiped the tears away. "I'm glad to have met you Mr. Purdy, you take care of my baby girl" he said as he looked at his watch. " I best be going I have to head back in two hours oh and John"he said as he stood up and looked at me. " yes Sargent?" " take care of Mackenzie" he said as he left.

END OF FLASHBACK

"Cheyanne, I have something for you"said Ashley as Cheyanne looked up at him. While he dug through his pocket with his free hand and pulled out the star and cross necklaces.

"Where did you get these?" Cheyanne asked as she took them from Ashley. I looked over at Mackenzie as she had her left hand over her mouth as she cried. "Your step father gave them to Ashley when we went to see him while you were in the hospital" I said as she looked at me.

"He never takes them off he-" she trailed off as she buried her face into Ashley's chest and cried. "He's gone is t he?" She asked as the doorbell ran. I walked over and opened the door wise open as Harley, Mackenzie, Ashley and Cheyanne stood in the foyer.

I opened the storm door as a soldier from the United States Army walked in. "I have a package for a John Rzeznik, Mackebzie Carter and a Cheyanne Rzeznik" he said as Cheyanne wiped her eyes. "Hello Captain Meyers"said Cheyanne as she took the package.

"I'm so sorry Cheyanne"he said as he gave her a hug. " if there's anything you need feel free to call" he said as he walked out. "What is it Chey?" Ashley asked as she opened the Manila envelope. "There's five Purple Hearts in here, an award and folded pieces of paper" Cheyanne said as she broke down again. "He's really gone"she cried as she handed Ashley the envelope and ran out the door.

"What's this?" Ashley asked as he furrowed his eyebrows. I watched as he pulled out a post card that had writing on it and read it out loud. "You're invited to a conference meeting to honor the life of sergeant John Michael Carter in Washington D.C on May 20th 2004 " Ashley said as he turned the card over as words were in a large paragraph.

In the end as you fade into the night. Who will tell the story of your life? In the end as my soul's laid to rest, what is left of my body? Or is it just a shell? And I have fought And with flesh and blood I commanded an army. Through it all I have given my home for a moment of glory. I gave it all. In the end as you fade into the night, who will tell the story of your life and who will remember your last goodbye cause it Los the end and I'm not afraid to did I'm not afraid to die" Ashley read as he looked up.

Tears had fell from his face as his eyes were now puffy and red from crying. "He wrote this?" Mackenzie asked as he walked over and wiped the tears away as they continued to fall. She took the card and showed intro me. "Yeah he wrote it"I said as I saw his name signed after it.

As we cried something dawned on Ashley as he grabbed his and helmet and ran out. "What's going on?" Mackenzie asked. "She's gonna commit suicide" I said as I ran out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter of the story. I'm gonna miss this but the story isn't done yet. The sequel to Crucified By Your Lies is being posted in just a bit. Stay tuned.