So Long, Soldier

Dirty Little Secret

When I got back from band practice, I headed upstairs and saw that Tom’s bedroom door was wide open. I walked in his room and saw that his TV was turned on, blankets were scattered, his dresser mirror was broken. Dried blood was on shards of glass on the floor, plates laid around along with clumps of wadded paper.

I took care of the plates; putting them in the sink and threw the wadded paper away before heading back to my room. Closing the door behind me, I crossed over to my bed and sat down. I moved my pillow and grabbed the notebook lying underneath it. I ran my fingers over the pink cover, tracing my finger on the peter pan drawings snd the lettering before opening it to the second page.

1-1-04 Dear Journal,
Sorry for not writing so much when I promised that I would. Wendy and dad took us to Disney for winter break, it was a lot of fun but it felt like something was missing. I’m like a puzzle missing a giant puzzle piece. I hate feeling so depressed. I hate having this poker face and pretending everything is okay when it’s not.
Katelyn Moira Angela Carter

1-8-04 Dear Journal ,
School has started back up. It was a good day, today. I ended up seeing Tom and we ended up talking at lunch. I always have so much fun hanging out with him. I hope he asks meh to the Spring Fling dance soon, I really like him. He makes meh really happy and it filled some of the empty space but not enough to to fill the whole space. I sometimes wonder why I feel like this? Where’s meh Peter Pan? Meh only answer to that is that he’s lost somewhere in Neverland.
Katelyn Miora Angela Carter (Darling)

1-8-04

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I wonder where yeh are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little star
How I wonder where yeh are

1-8-04

Lost Somewhere In Neverland
Lost in a daydream away
Lost in thought
Lost in America
Lost in the world
Lost in Space
Lost in the universe
1-8-04

You’re just a daydream away, I wouldn’t know what to say if I had yeh
Writings by Katelyn Moira Angela Carter
1-9-04
School went the same as it usually does. This girl name Lisa R. pushed meh into a wall when I said hi to Tom and his brother and his friends. I wasn’t doing anything to them and I got treat ed like crap.
Katelyn Miora Angela Carter.

I stopped for a second to try to think back to the date of the journal when I stared at the wall in shock. Katelyn, the girl I’ve been crushing on was the same girl my brother had over last year and the same girl he’s liked. I thought to myself as I slammed the notebook closed and tossed it under the mattress.