Status: Completed.

The Forbidden Fruit

Philanthropic Darius

The road back was rather quiet. George sat outside with the horseman. Since it was night, they were exchanging shifts. Darius had given Albert and Gwendolyn a blanket to share and offered me his jacket. It was warm and smelt of him. However, I still felt uncomfortable being so close to him. Whenever I was near him, I felt bare.
"Your brother and sister are sleeping," he pointed out. He looked tired, "it is fine for you to lay on me now. You want to sleep don't you."
My heart skipped a beat at the sound of his voice.
"That won't be necessary," I replied quickly, a little too quickly. Deep inside I wanted to take him up on the offer because my neck was aching and I wanted to rest my head on someone, anyone, just not Darius.
"Do the stars not look beautiful?" he smiled. I nodded. They really did. I had been so caught up in my life, I never took the time to admire them.
"They are nothing compared to you, however," he flattered me, though I knew it was a lie. He leaned in to kiss me, but I turned my head to the side.
"We mustn't," I said.
"No one is watching," he wrapped his hand round my waist and kissed me again. Albert coughed and he stopped. He looked at him, thinking he had woken up, but he was still fast asleep.
"Elise," he said, "something has been on my mind lately."
I wondered what he had to say to me, because the playful look he had had was no longer there.
"I was wondering if you wanted your brother and sister to move into the Manor as well," he began, "they will be enrolled at a public school nearby. I will take care of their clothing and other needs -for free."
"Why?" I asked. This was the same man who had spoken so lowly of all peasants, yet he was now offering to help us. I just found it hard to understand were his sudden change of heart had come from.
"I have taken a liking to your little brother," he admitted, "from the other day."
"For free?" I enquired. I had to be sure.
"Yes," he said, "do you think me untrustworty? I kept my promise and retrieved Gwendolyn from the Count did I not? This is what Gwendolyn wanted as well. The debt will soon be cleared. I am just giving your siblings a chance for a much better future."
I did not have to think about it. It was going to be free, but I still did not know what his motive truly was. I had not really seen a streak of kindness in him. He always seemed to plan ahead. So, I knew I had to keep my guard up, but for the meanwhile I agreed. I accepted his kind offer without consulting my brother and sister. I knew they would also be delighted. I hoped so anyways.
As we spoke further on the future of my siblings, I heard George speaking to the horseman. I had grown to like him. My feelings for Darius were nothing more than lust. My body only reacted to his touch, but my heart did not long for him. It longed for a man like George.
"Did you hear what I said?" Darius asked.
I nodded, though in truth I had not. My mind was too occupied with the thoughts of George. My only wish was that, maybe one day, he could love me too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Had this ready by yesterday, but ended up having the longest EVER conversation with my bestfriend and fell asleep before I could post this :( sorry guys. Anyways, exams coming up soon and I'm totally shitting myself because I've been like procrastinating (I know, smh too) so I won't be on this for a while. Like till my exam, which is on the 7th of May. Today and probably tomorrow, I'll try put up as many updates as I can, probably leave an interesting cliffhanger so that you can all wait for me to come back on this. LOVE YOU ALL AND WISH ME LUCK. (*hint hint* Count D'Aubigne.....nuff said)