Status: Always updating!

Stay Gold

Eleven

“Nobody’s ever talked to Dal like that, or hit him,” Johnny began, “I can’t believe you did that.”

I rolled my eyes, it’s been nearly a week since my horrendous encounter with Dallas Winston. I don’t know who he thought he was, talking to me so rudely. I got enough of that back in Texas, I sure as hell didn’t need it here too. I looked at Johnny, shaking my head.

“What did you want me to do, Johnny, continue letting him degrade me like that? Fuck that,” I said, putting my hands over my face. “I don’t know how you people treat each other here, but I won’t put up with it, and I sure as hell won’t put up with anything from some dirty grease-”

“That’s enough!” Ponyboy snapped, “Dal may be a jerk sometimes, but you don’t need to talk about him like that,” He said, glaring at me, “You sound like a damn soc right now, Elaine.”

“Pony’s right,” Johnny said, “Dally’s a really good guy once you get to know him.”

I shook my head and headed toward the door, “I don’t want to get to know that asshole, I’d rather take a beating from my old man than have to see him.”

I opened the door, ready to walk out. Someone was blocking my way, however, and I wasn’t too thrilled on who it was.

I was staring up at Dally, who just smiled slyly, as if he was trying to upset me.

“Move,” I said firmly, “or else,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest. Dally took it all as a joke.

“You’re cute when you’re angry,” He laughed, still standing in front of my only exit.

“I’m about to be pretty damn beautiful in a second if you don’t get outta my way, Dallas Winston,” I warned, getting in his face.

He shrugged and moved aside, “I don’t get why you hate me so much,” He began, “but then again, all the socs are stuck up like that.”

I clinched my fist, fury building up, “Excuse you?” I snapped, “I don’t know who you think you are, but I certainly ain’t no soc.”

“You’re not one of us either, a greaser, I mean,” He began, “and you’ll never be one of us, so quit your bitchin’ and tryin’ so hard.”

Ponyboy and Johnny both ran up to us, as if Dally and I were about to rumble. I was prayin’ that he would hit me, or something, just for the pleasure of me decking him in the chops.

“Both of you need to calm down,” Ponyboy intervened, “Dal, get in the house. Elaine, go to the DX station and stay with Soda for a bit, both of you need to cool down.”

“What?” I said, appalled, “You’re really taking that jerk’s side?”

Here, Ponyboy’s supposed to be on my side, and be the voice of reason, yet he’s doing the exact opposite.

Ponyboy groaned, “Elaine, you know it’s not what it seems like-”

“What the hell is it, then? You’re making me leave so he can stay here,” I hissed, glaring at the two of them. Johnny just stood there from afar, looking at his feet.

“It’s more of my home than yours, you little bitch,” Dally shouted, “and Ponyboy knows it.”

I just looked at Pony with anger and tears in my eyes. Betrayed, yet again. I was done. I didn’t want to fight no more, I just wanted to leave.

“Fine, I’m outta here then. You win, Dal, hope you’re fucking happy,” I said, turning to him and running out of the house. Johnny chased after me, making me only run faster.

“Elaine, will you take a look at yourself?” He snapped, “Where do you think you’re gonna go?”

I kept walking, no matter how many times he grabbed me to stop me.

“Don’t know,” I began, “don’t really give a damn where I go either.”

Johnny came from behind me and pulled me into a hug, restraining me. I started crying. That seemed to be the only thing I was good for around here. I buried myself into Johnny’s shoulder.

“Do you see yourself?” He asked, holding me, “You’re being an idiot, Elaine. You need to cut that shit out. You can’t keep running away from everything when it doesn’t go your way. So what if Dally’s an asshole? He’s just that type of person. If he says something to you, don’t fucking lash out at him. Ain’t gonna do either of you any justice. As far as I’m concerned, you’re being just as big of a jerk as he is.”

I looked up at Johnny, tears still in my eyes. He hugged me tighter.

“He has no right to talk to me like that, to say lies about me like that,” I continued sobbing, holding onto Johnny. He ran his fingers through my curly hair.

“Everything is fine, you just need to cool down. Come on, let’s go for a walk, we’ll fuck with the little kids, or something,” He said, laughing. “Also, Ponyboy wasn’t trying to upset you, either. So please don’t be mad at him.”

I looked up at Johnny and nodded, pulling away from him. We walked around the city, for what seemed like hours. We bullshitted, we talked, we got high. It seemed to be the only fun thing to do at this point. The two of us walked to the the park and stretched out in the grass.

“Why is Dally the way he is?” I asked, nudging Johnny. He looked over at me and shrugged.

“No one knows,” He began, “he’s just had a hard life, and it’s got even worse since he got back from the slammer, ever since his girl ran off with one of his old buddies.”

I laughed in my head, “Dallas Winston, having a girlfriend?” I thought to myself. That was the funniest thing I’ve heard in my life. Poor girl must have had low self-esteem to get with the likes of him. Looks wise, he was very much attractive, I couldn’t even deny that. Personality wise, however, he was shit.

“Dal’s not all bad though,” Said Johnny, “he can be really nice if you give ‘em the chance.”

“Give him the chance?” I groaned, “Why should I give him a chance when he’s been nothing but rude to me?”

Johnny sat up, pulling out two cigarettes from his jacket; One for me, one for him. I lit mine, taking a long drag of the sweet smoke.

“Just give him a chance, who knows? Maybe you’ll end up liking him,” Johnny said, “otherwise, you’re not gonna be too happy being on this side of town.”

He was right, Dal and I had to get along somehow, otherwise I would hate it here.

Johnny laid back in the grass, then sprung back up as if something spooked him. He was giving something or someone the stink eye, but I couldn’t tell what he was looking at exactly.

“What’s going on?” I asked him, sounding concerned.

He sighed and stood up, taking a drag off his cigarette, “We got company,” He said, motioning to a shiny Mustang pulling up to the side of the street.

Three bigger guys got out of the car and started towards us.

“Who the hell’s that?” I asked, getting closer to Johnny.

“Socs,” He began, “stay behind me, I have no idea what they’re gonna try.”

It worried me when Johnny said that, after seeing what they did to his face, and why Dally got locked up. The three boys walked up to us.

“So what everyone’s been sayin’ is true,” One boy began, “new girl in town. What’re you doin’ hanging around with the likes of these people?” He said, referring to Johnny and the rest of the gang. “Why don’t you come hang out with us, instead of trash like Johnny Cade?”

I saw Johnny go in his back pocket and reach for his blade, not pulling it out just yet, “She ain’t goin’ anywhere with your kind, she’s too good for that.”

“The lady can make her own decision, now butt out, you piece of greasy white trash,” Another boy said, starting to get in Johnny’s face.

“I’ve made my decision, I’m not goin’ anywhere. Johnny Cade and the rest of the boys are my friends. My family, even. The only one’s I got. Now shove off, you’re not in your territory!” I shouted, “C’mon, Johnny, let’s go home,” I said, grabbing his hand.

Two more socs got out of the car and surrounded us.

“I don’t think you understood us,” He began, “you don’t have a choice, you’re coming with us,” He said firmly, while two of his pals grabbed me, dragging me to their car. The other three went after Johnny. I kicked, screamed, punched, did anything to get them off me.

“Let her go!” Johnny screamed at the bigger soc holding me. I kept punching him, but he wouldn’t release his grip. While Johnny kept fighting the other three socs’, Ponyboy and asshole Dally ran up to us, blades in hand. For once, I was actually happy to see Dally, I never thought I would ever think such a thing.

“You have five seconds to let the girl go, otherwise I’ll bury you with my fucking hands right here in this park,” Dally warned, walking towards us with the blade still in his hands.

“One,” He began, “Two...three...four...fiv-”, the two socs’ that were holding me, ran off, while the other three just stood there like deer in headlights.

“I suggest you all get the fuck out of our side of town,” Dally began, “I’ve killed a soc before, I won’t think twice before doing it again.”

Ponyboy ran over to me to make sure I was okay. Johnny and Dally were just inches away from the socs’ faces, holding their blades close to them. Socs’ must’ve had some common sense, because just like their friends, they took off as well.

“You okay, kid? Them assholes do anything to you?” Dally asked, walking up to me.

I picked myself up, brushing the dirt off my slacks, “I’m fine,” I began, “thanks though, I appreciate it.”

“Anytime,” He said, a small smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well now, this is quite interesting. Thank you for all the comments and subscriptions guys! It means the world to me. With that being said, I'm going to bed because it is 6am and I'm exhausted.

Comment/subscribe/recommend!