Status: Always updating!

Stay Gold

Nine

Johnny and I slept all day, until there was a loud bang on the door. I opened one eyes, just to take a peak of what was happening.

“Go away!” Johnny groaned, rolling over, attempting to fall back asleep. But Johnny’s yelling didn’t make the banging subside. He threw a pillow then flung up, “Are you fucking kidding me?” He said, getting up and peaking through a window.

“What’s goin’ on?” I whined, throwing the blanket back over my head. I felt Johnny staring at me, even with the blanket over my eyes.

“Uh... Elaine?” He began, “go in the back bedroom... It’s the fuzz.”

The police? The fucking police? I’ve been here not even 24 hours, and they’re already searching for me?

I threw the blanket on the floor and stared at Johnny dead in the eyes, “You don’t think they’re after me, do you?”

He shrugged and helped me off the sofa, and into the back bedroom, “I’m honestly not sure, I doubt it, though. How would they even know you’re in this house, let alone in Tulsa or the entire state of Oklahoma? For all they know, you good be in Mexico. Maybe something happened to Soda or Pony...” He paused, “Just stay in here and be quiet, I’ll be right back.”

He was right, maybe. Just in case, though, I stayed quiet. However, that didn’t stop me from being the nosy person I am.

“Johnny Cade?” A deep voice said.

It sounded like Johnny wasn’t could with confrontation when it came to authority, because right away he started fumbling his words when he was only asked his name.

“Where are you supposed to be right now? In school? Your mother reported you as a runaway last night, you’re coming with us.” The deep voice commanded. He sounded mean, like he only wanted to single out Johnny, to make him miserable.

“C-Can I go get my bag out of my friends room, at least?” He asked, sounding shaken. The officer must have let him, because he came flailing into the room. “I have to leave for a while, Elaine,” He started saying, “but Ponyboy will be home soon, so you won’t be alone. Whatever you do...” He said, pausing, “Don't open the door.” And with that, he left me alone in the house.

I felt for Johnny, because I knew once he was home, he was gonna get a whooping. His parents were both drunks, like mine... Well, like my father. I know how drunks get when they’re angry, and it’s a mighty awful sight. I waited a good ten minutes before coming out of the room. Slowly, but surely, I crawled out of the room and back on the sofa; In more pain than I was already in.

I knew deep down that I should see a doctor, but I couldn’t risk being sent home, back to that horrid place. I guess I just had to rough it, at least for now. Not much longer after I planted myself back on the sofa, Ponyboy walked in the door. He smiled at me, then glanced around the house, looking for Johnny I’m assuming.

“He’s not here, Pony,” I began, “cops took him.”

His smile fell instantly, and he sighed angrily, “It’s that old drunk ma’ of his, ain’t it?” He punched a wall, and shouted out obscenities. “This is bullshit, straight bullshit Elaine. Why does that old bitch even act like she cares about him?”

I struggled to get up to go over to Pony, but ended up falling flat on my back.

“Son of a bitch,” I groaned in pain, “everything will be fine, I’m sure. Johnny even said that he’d be back later.”

The look on Pony’s face didn’t lighten up any, in fact, I think it got worse.

“Pony, trust me, I’m sure he’ll be fine. He’s a big boy, I’m sure this hasn’t been the first time...”, I paused, “besides, look at me. I lived through the same thing he goes through, I made it out okay-”

“Elaine, look at yourself!” He snapped, “You're covered in gashes and bruises, you can barely walk from the looks of it. You could have died, the same thing goes for Johnny...”

I looked down, the horrible feeling was back, “Maybe I shouldn’t have come here,” I mumbled to myself, “I didn’t mean it like that, and you know it,” I added, quietly.

“I’m sorry,” He said, “I didn’t mean to snap like that. Just... Johnny’s my best friend, and I don’t wanna lose him, he’s like a brother to me.”

I nodded and looked up at him, “I understand, and I’m sorry about what I said. I guess my injuries are starting to make me irritable,” I joked, trying to lighten up the mood.

He examined me up and down, evaluating my injuries. “I think you should see a-”

“A doctor,” I said, cutting him off, “I know I should, but I already told you why I’m not gonna.”

Pony didn’t say anything for a minute, instead he lit up another cancer stick, taking long drags every time. I couldn’t blame him, though, he looked like he needed it.

“I got it!” Blowing the smoke out of his lungs, “Got an idea, Elaine, it’s almost foolproof.”

“Fool proof?” I thought. I was actually interested on what he was about to say, “Oh?” I began, “And what is this idea of yours?”

He took another long drag, “Can’t tell you yet, gotta wait till Darry gets home. Until then, take it easy, don’t hurt yourself more,” He smirked.

I wasn’t sure if he liked fucking with me or not, but good thing I had a sense of humor, and sometimes, even a crude sense of humor. As I thought about it, I was glad Johnny and Ponyboy found me. For all I know, I could have gotten raped by one of the local drunks at the bar, or even worse; bled to death. Also, in another weird way, I kind of wished that they didn’t find me, that way I couldn’t be found by my father. Or, if I was found, I’d already be dead.

“You know,” I said, “you aren’t half bad... for a kid,” I smiled. “And thank you,” I whispered.

He gave me an odd look, “Why are you thanking me? I couldn’t just let you stay out there, who’s knows what could have happened to you.”

It was nice that the boy had morals. That’s pretty rare to come by nowadays, especially in men.

“Do you do this kind of thing for everyone that passes out in the middle of the road?” I asked.

He shook his head, “No,” He began, “you just looked like you needed help... and a friend.” He smiled. For Ponyboy being young, he certainly had good looks. No doubt in my mind that he’d be a ladykiller when he’s older.

The door swung open again. A boy looking quite a few years older than Pony stormed in.

“You mind telling me what the hell is going on here, Ponyboy Curtis?” He demanded, “You're in deep shit.”

“Darry, I can explain-”, Pony pleaded. So, this was the mysterious Darryl Curtis I’ve been hearing about all morning. He was gorgeous, nonetheless, much like Ponyboy.

“Do you have even the slightest fucking idea of what time you stumbled in last night? After 3 in the morning. What’s even worse? You reeked of booze-”

“It’s not his fault!” I blurted out, “It’s mine...” I said, struggling to get up from the sofa again. Ponyboy was quick to grab me so I didn’t break anything else.

Darry looked at me, it wasn’t a very good look either, “And who might you be?” He questioned, still staring at me like I was some sort of ghost.

“Name’s Elaine,” I began, “I’m a drifter, just came into town last night. I got into some big trouble before I got here, leaving me badly beaten. I’m so sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused. I can be out of here in five minutes, if you like.”

He nodded, looking more sympathetic, “Let me guess, my brother found you? And it’s probably a good thing that he did, you’re looking pretty rough,” He paused, “have you seen-”

“No, no doctor. Not yet, at least,” I said. I was getting really fed up of repeating myself two dozen times.

‘That’s our problem,” Pony began, “she's afraid someone’s gonna tip off her Pop that she’s here, and he could end up killing her... That’s why Johnny and I brought her here. She had nowhere else to go.”

“What do you want me to do?” Darry said, directed at Ponyboy, “Let her move stay here, or something?”

“Well,...” Pony said, looking hopeful.

“I will do anything any of you ask. Just, please, don’t let me go back home... Please,” I cut in, tears starting to stream down my face.

Ponyboy and Darry looked at each other, then back at me.

“Even if I wanted to throw you out,” Darry began, “I couldn’t. But if you’re gonna stay here, we have to get you to a doctor.”

He must have had the same idea that Ponyboy had, even though I still had no clue what they had in mind. I sat on the sofa as they ran around the small house as if they were chickens that just got their heads cut off. Ponyboy was writing a note of some sort, Darry was looking for an extra blanket to wrap me in.

The only thing the two said to me during this whole time was, “Play dead,” Which was said by Ponyboy.

“Play almost dead,” Darry verified, "we know what we’re doing."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's become my habit to write in the middle of the night, but hey, I ain't complaining.

Comment/subscribe/recommend. c: