Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Twelve.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked harshly. Cameron blushed, setting down his suitcases. “I came to see you.”

“Cameron, I don’t appreciate this at all. I haven’t seen you or spoken to you in forever. You have no right to come to my place and surprise me like this.” I told him. He rolled his eyes. “Lil, don’t act like this. You should be happy. I could be at home with my family right now, but instead I flew here to see you.”

He took a step toward me, coming in for a hug. I backed away, crossing my arms over my chest. “You should go back home.”
“I already have my plane booked to leave here in a few days. I thought maybe I could stay with you and we could, you know, catch up.” He told me. I looked down at the floor. “Stay with me? I have a boyfriend, Cameron. I don’t feel comfortable with you staying here.” I admitted. I trusted myself, I knew I would never cheat on Patrick, but I also knew Cameron. He would try to get with me again.

“Can’t you stay in a hotel? Doesn’t the army pay for that kind of stuff?” I asked him harshly. I knew my place couldn’t be his last resort. He could’ve booked a hotel or something. “I told them I didn’t need a hotel. I figured you’d let me stay, so I told them I already had a place.”

I sighed. “Well call and cancel.” I didn’t want him staying with me, even for a few days. This was my home. I didn’t want Patrick to freak out, either. “Lilly, please. I’ll sleep on the couch and pay you. I understand you have a new boyfriend, and I’m happy for you. I really am. Can’t we be friends and catch up these next three days? I’ll only be on your couch for two nights.”

“Fine.” I knew the moment I said that, I’d regret it. Two nights can't be that bad. Maybe I'll stay somewhere else, I told myself. Cameron walked in, setting down his things. I walked into my bedroom and put on my robe, covering my body. As long as Cameron was here, I’d try my best not to tempt him. I felt nothing for him, and I was going to make sure of it.
_____________________________________________

“Your ex is staying at your apartment?!” Rachel screeched. Yikes. It sounded worse out loud. The two of us were at Starbucks, and I was dying for her advice. I sighed, “I know. It’s horrible. I felt kinda bad though. I felt obligated to say yes.” I told her, sipping my coffee. I knew I was about to get a lecture from Rachel, so I used my coffee and bagel as a distraction.

“Lilly! When do you plan on telling Patrick about this!?” Rachel asked. She didn’t even touch her coffee, she just stared at me in awe. “I don’t.” I told her.

She put her hands over her face, “You’ve got to be kidding. Lilly, you can’t keep this from him! Oh my god, you are about to make a huge mistake. You need to realize that sometime soon, he’ll find out. You should just ask Patrick to rent him a ho-”

“Can I stay with you!?” I interrupted. She was taken aback, and thought for a second. “You’re alone in that two bedroom apartment of yours, can I crash for two nights? I’ll make breakfast!” I begged. She looked out the window. “I…I live with Jonathan now.”

“What the fuck!? Since when! Why didn’t you tell me!? Isn’t that a little rushed!?” I asked quickly. She chuckled, “Yeah. I just moved in yesterday. I know I should’ve told you, but it was all kind of rushed. My lease was up, so Jon was like ‘Just move in with me’ and I’m like ‘Okay’ and now…yeah. I mean, we did date for a while before, so it’s not like I barely know him or how he is when it comes to his condo.”

“I can’t believe this…well that’s good. I guess. In return for lying to me, you should let me stay.” I smiled. She rolled her eyes, laughing, “Fine.”
__________________________________________

After discussing other issues in life, Rachel and I parted ways. I went back to my apartment to find Cameron lounging around (shirtless) watching tv. I rolled my eyes at how hard he was trying. I told him how I would be staying with Rachel, and he flipped. Of course he'd freak out. He's trying to get back with me.

I packed a suitcase, and headed to Rachel’s. I felt weird leaving my entire apartment to Cameron, but at that point, I didn’t care. I didn’t want to stay with him. I reached Rachel and Jonathan’s condo, and waited in the lobby. I’d never been to his place, so I had no clue where to go. Rachel met me, wearing pajamas.

“Hurry! I don’t wanna be seen in public wearing Jonas Brothers pajamas! I’m 23 years old!” She whispered. I laughed, and we ran to the elevator. “Why exactly are you wearing those pajamas!?”

“They’re my favorite! I got them like 6 years ago, but they’ve always been big. Now I can finally wear them! I’ve always loved the Jonas Brothers!” She laughed. I almost died laughing. We reached the penthouse floor, and Rachel led me to her place.

We walked in and it was ridiculously clean. “Damn…this is so clean…it’s like a hotel room.” I muttered. Rachel laughed, walking into the kitchen. “Jonathan has OCD. I spilt tea on the tile the other day, and he flipped. Got up from the couch and ran for towels.”

She left me in the guest room, and I laid down on the bed, checking my phone. I had 2 messages from Patrick.

PATRICK: What are you doing?
PATRICK: I miss you

I smiled. The messages were sent 22 minutes ago, so I replied quickly. I doubted that he would respond. I looked up at the clock, and figured the boys would be starting warm ups soon. They had a day game and they’d be flying to Florida after.

I walked out into the living room and sat with Rachel. She was watching Real Housewives of OC while eating a bowl of popcorn.
“I hate Vicky.” She vented when I sat down. “She’s so annoying. Like, get off the show.” She sighed. I looked at the clock, it was 1:30. “Are we going to watch the game?” I asked her. She held up a finger, ignoring me. “Hold on,” She said after a moment. Two women on TV were having a heated argument, and Rachel was intrigued by it. I rolled my eyes. One girl looked like Miss Piggy, and the other was just some blonde with too much Botox.

About 10 minutes later, Rachel finally changed the channel. We watched the game, and ordered pizza during intermission.

“I’m going to quit on Monday.” I told her as we ate. She smiled sympathetically. “It sucks. I miss it already.” She laughed. “Are you looking for a new job?”

“Yeah, I’m trying.” I told her. “I don’t think any job will be as fun as the one I have now.” Rachel nodded, agreeing with me. She took a bite of her pizza and sighed. “It’s like, I don’t want to work, but I don’t want to live off of Jon. I’m not with him for his money. I wanna do something for myself, ya know?”

“Yeah…I’ll be going to school in the fall, so I’ll have to work to pay that off. I know what you mean, I’d love to not work. People would just get the wrong impression. A young girl with no job dating a professional athlete…yeah, people would be angry about that.”

“That’s what you get for dating a professional athlete.” Rachel told me. She had a point. I got myself into this. “Dating the guys we’re dating, we have to not care what people think. It’ll ruin your relationship and it’ll ruin your-”

My ringtone interrupted her lecture, and I looked at the screen. It was an unknown number, so I sighed and answered. “Hello?”

“Come to dinner with me.” Cameron told me on the other line. I rolled my eyes, looking at Rachel. “No, Cameron. I’m busy. I don’t want to be talking to you. Just stay out of my way until you leave.” I said harshly. I didn’t mean to be so mean to him. Honestly, he didn’t do anything that bad to me. He left out of the blue. It hurt me, but it’s not as bad as cheating or abusing. The problem I had with him was that he wanted me back. I told him I moved on. I didn’t say to who, but he knew I’m with someone.

“Come on, Lilly. I understand you’re mad, but I just want to have dinner with you to catch up. Please, come with me.” He begged. I couldn’t leave Rachel. The game was on, my boyfriend was playing. I couldn’t leave to go out…with my ex.
“Listen, Cameron. I have to watch this game. Maybe I’ll have dinner with you tomorrow, but I have to go now.” I told him, and hung up the phone before he could respond.

Rachel looked at me. “Don’t have dinner with him.” She said, and walked back to the couch.
____________________________________________

“I’m glad you won.” I said into the phone. Patrick was on his way to the airport, and he called me to say goodnight. “I saw your goal, too. Nice job.”

“Thanks babe. You sound upset…everything okay?” He asked. I twisted my lips, unsure if I should tell him or not. “I’m fine.” I said finally. “Ooookayy….” He told me. He clearly didn’t believe me, but I was glad he didn’t ask any more about it. “I miss you.” I said after a few moments of silence. Rachel walked into my room at that moment, “Hey, Lil! Do you want any ice cream?” She asked, shoving her face with a spoonful. I shook my head ‘no’, and she walked away.

“Was that Rachel?” Patrick asked me. It was awfully late, so I knew he’d be curious why I was with her. “Yeah…we’re just having a girl’s night.” I semi-lied. We were having a girl’s night, but only cause of Cameron. I yawned, and laid down on the bed. Geeze, it was comfortable.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I told Patrick. “Text me when you land in Florida.”

“Alright. Sleep tight, babe. I’ll talk to you soon.” He said, and hung up.
________________________________________

Finally, the day for Cameron to leave arrived. I walked into my apartment that morning, hoping he’d be gone.
Instead, I walked into him sitting at my dinner table eating cereal.
“It’s 11am, Cameron! When are you leaving!?” I yelled. I wanted him to get the hell out. I wanted my apartment back. He rolled his eyes. “Relax, Lil. I’m just gonna eat then leave.”

I groaned, then walked back to my room. God, he irritated me. I belly-flopped onto my bed, and gasped in pain when my stomach landed on sometime hard. I rolled over and found a teal and white box from Tiffany & Co. Inside was a bracelet. It was a silver bracelet with a silver heart. I felt the beautiful piece of jewelry, and tried it on. There was a little note attached to the box, so I pulled it out.

Thanks for letting me stay here. Sorry to bother you. It won't happen again.
-Cameron


I looked at the note in awe. Cameron? I figured Patrick got me the bracelet. It was too…perfect for Cameron to pick out. He always had the worst taste in jewelry. I put the bracelet and note back in the box, and tossed the box into a drawer beside my bed.

I walked out to thank Cameron, and he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Give me some feedback! I wanted to change up this chapter (if an ex shows up in most stories, the girls ends up cheating or the bf shows up, so i wanted to do something different)
-Also, here is what I imagine the girls to look like. My friend reads this story and asked me my opinion, so here it is in case anyone else was curious.

Rachel

Rachel

Some of you may notice that Rachel is blonde, instead of brunette (like I said she was in the first chapter) this is because I saw these pictures of this girl, and I was like "That's Rachel. That's totally Rachel."

Lilly

Lilly

Let me know if you agree/disagree with my visions of the girls. This is just how I picture them, so it's cool if you disagree :)