Status: Completed :)

Believe in Me

Fourteen.

“Thank you.” I smiled, handing cash to the taxi driver. He helped me unload my bags then drove off. I stood in the driveway of my mother’s home in Calabasas, a city right outside of LA. I saw Zeus, her Great Dane, barking at me through the window. I grabbed my bags, and headed to the door.

I stood there, knocking for a few minutes. Nobody answered. I called Landon, but he was no help. He was in San Diego on a date with some girl. I tried calling my mom, but it went to voicemail. Sighing, I tried the doorbell.

A few moments passed, but the door swung open.
“Veronica?” My father smiled, standing behind the door. You've got to be kidding me. The last thing I wanted was to see my father. What the hell was he doing at my mom’s house?

“It’s Lilly.” I said bluntly. “Why are you here?”
He smiled. “Your mother has been so kind to let me stay here for the next few weeks. I’m looking for a new job out here.” He told me.Is my mom fucking crazy? My face fumed with rage. I didn’t want that disgusting man around my mother. Or any of my family, for that matter.

“Where is she?” I asked him. I stood on the porch, even though he invited me inside. I didn’t want to go in. I didn’t want to be alone with him. “I’m here to see my mom.”

“She’s at work.” He said. I sighed. Great. “Well can you tell her to call me when she gets home? I’ll be at the Kings game, but I still need her to call me.” I told my father. He chuckled, “Hockey? Oh that’s right, you’re dating that rookie from Chicago.”

“How do you know?” I asked harshly. He didn’t deserve to know anything about my life. “I saw you two at the diner. He treat you right?” He asked. I rolled my eyes, “Yes. It isn’t any of your business.”

We stood there silently, so I grabbed my bags and walked away. I walked down the street to a park, and called Taylor. “Hello?” She answered. “Lilly?” She sounded like she had been crying. “Taylor! I need a favor.” I told her. She sighed, “What is it?”

“I’m at the park by The Oaks. I need you to pick me up. Pleeeeeease. I’m stranded.” I begged. She was silent for a moment, but I heard her rummaging through something. “Fine. I’ll be there in a few.” Click.

It didn’t take long for her to pick me up. Her house was only two blocks from my mother’s. I put my bags in her trunk, then got in. I looked at her once, and immediately knew something was up. Her mascara was smeared and she looked like a hot mess.

“Taylor…what the hell happened? Are you okay?” I asked, wiping my friend’s face with a tissue. She closed her eyes and her voice cracked. “He cheated on me again.” Tears welled up in her eyes and she began to bawl. Of course. I knew her boyfriend was a douchebag. I tried to warn her, but she never believed me.

“I’m so sorry, Tay. He’s an ass. You need to forget about him.” I told her. She shook her head, “I know. I’m such an idiot. I’m such a fucking idiot. I trusted him. I thought he’d be the one. I swore everything was great, but I was so blind. He’d say he was going out with the boys, and I believed him. God, Lil. I’m so stupid.” She cried. I leaned over and hugged her. I hated seeing my best friend like that.

“We need to get your mind off of him…come to the Kings game with me tonight.” I told her. It was a perfect idea. She could watch the game and forget about David. She could also see Patrick again. The two got along great when she and David came to visit. She approved of him, and the two were jokesters together. “Patrick’s playing. That’s why I’m here. He bought me a ticket to come see you and he invited everyone to the game.”

She thought for a moment, “Okay…fine.”
____________________________________________________

“You wanna go shopping with me?” Patrick asked Jonathan. The guys had just finished morning skate, so they were packing up to go back to their hotel. They had a few hours before the game, and Patrick wanted to explore LA instead of napping.

“Yeah, Tazer. Go with him. The kid needs some new clothes…somethin’ besides those ugly flannels.” Patrick Sharp chimed in. Patrick chuckled, “Shut up, Sharpie. You wanna come, Jon?”
Jonathan shrugged, taking off his gear. “Sure. Where are we going?”

“Rodeo Drive. That’s where all the badass shops are. I wanna find something nice for Lilly, too.” Patrick told him. Andrew Shaw chuckled, wrapping an arm around Patrick. “You’re so whipped, man. Take it easy.”

“The kid can’t help that he’s in love.” Patrick Sharp shouted from across the locker room. Here we go again, Patrick thought to himself.

“Give it a rest, man. I can’t help that I like her. She’s not like the usual girls, Shawzy. Get off my back.” He shot back. Andrew rolled his eyes, sitting on the bench.

“I just don’t get it. You know, you’ve always been the one to party and get with other girls. We’re young, man. Why should we be tied down? I’m not trying to be a hater, but you’ve changed. You’re just too pussy-whipped. You aren’t the same, fun Kaner anymore.”

By then, Jonathan stood up next to Patrick. “Kaner’s maturing. Get over it, Shawzy. He’s a teammate. We’re all brothers here. If P-Kane is in love, let it be. He doesn’t wanna hear your opinion. He doesn’t give a shit. Support your teammate or get the fuck out.” He told Andrew. Jonathan was furious. He felt exactly how his friend did. The guys, except Patrick, didn’t really have a clue that Jonathan was so in love with Rachel. Jonathan didn’t express it like Patrick did. And Jonathan didn’t want his teammates to chirp him like they did to Patrick.

The locker room was silent after Jonathan went off. Everyone just minded their own business after that. Andrew sighed, shaking his head. He walked to Patrick, stopping by his locker. “Sorry, Kaner.” He said, then walked away.

Jonathan and Patrick left together and headed to Rodeo Drive. “Thanks, man. For what you did in there.” Patrick told him in the car. Jonathan nodded, “It’s no big deal. Shawzy doesn’t get it. He’s single,
he has no idea what it’s like to really love someone.”

Patrick nodded, looking out the window. “I really do love her.” He muttered to his friend. “I know ya do, Kaner. I’m glad. She’s cool. She’s classy. I mean, you have hooked up with some nasty girls before, not gonna lie. Lilly’s cool, though. She’s good for you.”

Patrick smiled to himself, but he didn’t want Jonathan to see. The two were best friends, but they still chirped each other during deep conversations. They walked into Tiffany&Co, and looked around at the jewelry.

“I like that.” Patrick said, pointing to a silver necklace with a heart charm. “You can engrave it, if you’d like.” The old man working there told them. “It comes with a matching bracelet as well.”

Patrick purchased both, engraving “Patrick&Lilly” on the front, and an “88” on the back of the heart necklace. Jonathan bought Rachel some earrings and a bracelet, along with an engraved Credit-Card holder for himself. They headed to Gucci to try on suits.

“I look fuckin’ sexy.” Patrick said, stepping out of the dressing room and spinning in front of the mirror. “I’d do me.”
Jonathan rolled his eyes, walking out of his dressing room. “What the fuck?” They both said at the same time.

“We tried on the same suit!” Jonathan cried. They busted out laughing, and Jonathan ran back into the dressing room. “There’s no way in hell I’m looking exactly like you.” He called out.

“Good. This suit looks better on me anyway.” Patrick called back, checking himself out in the mirror. “Damn. I look so good!”
“Shut up, Kaner.” Jonathan said, walking out. “Get dressed, we gotta go.”

____________________________________________________

“This place is filling up.” Patrick told Brandon Saad. “LA won the cup and all of a sudden they have fans.” He laughed, shaking his head then skating off. The team started their usual drills, but Patrick and Andrew stopped to stretch. Patrick scanned the area around him, looking for Lilly. He found her by the glass, standing and waving at him. He smiled when he noticed she was wearing his jersey.

“Who’s your girl with?” Andrew asked him, stretching out his legs. “Her best friend.” Patrick said bluntly. He was still slightly irritated with him, but he knew he had to forget and forgive. It was game time. All personal feelings had to be taken off the ice. They were a team, they had to act like one.

“She’s…unbelievable.” Andrew said. “You gotta introduce me to her.”
____________________________________________________

“I’m going to my mom’s house…do you want to stay at the hotel?” I asked Patrick. He was silent, clearly in a bad mood. LA had won 4-3, because Dustin Brown stole Patrick’s pass, and scored on a breakaway. Patrick felt angry and guilty, so he didn’t say much. I didn’t know what to do or say, I’d never dealt with him acting like that before. I wasn’t used to seeing him so unhappy.

“I’ll go over with you.” He mumbled. I sighed, I didn’t want to bother him. I knew he didn’t want to go. “It’s okay if you don’t want to, Babe. I think you should go to the hotel and rest before you guys fly out tomorrow.”

“I’ll go, okay? Let’s just fucking go. I’m not going to the hotel.” He barked. I tried not to get angry at him, but it was hard. “I don’t want you meeting my mother with your attitude like that. I’m not angry with you, but you really need to rest. Just go to the hotel.” I said calmly. He slammed his hand against the dashboard, “Lilly. I want to meet your family. I’ll be fine. Can we fucking go now?”

I nodded. It was a done deal. He was going to meet my mother tonight and nothing I could say would stop him.
____________________________________________________

“Mom, this is Patrick. My boyfriend.” I introduced. She smiled, welcoming him with a hug. “I’m Caroline. So nice to meet you! I’ve heard so much about you.” She told him. He chuckled, sitting down at the table. My mom poured us some water, and we all sat down to chat. I was curious where my dad was, but I tried not to think about him.

“Hey guys.” Landon greeted, walking into the kitchen. Patrick stood up, and the two shook hands. “How ya doin’, man?” My brother asked him. Patrick shrugged, “I’ve been better.”

“How was the hockey game? Lillian tells me you play hockey?” My mom asked Patrick. Oh my god. Not now, Mom. Don't talk about hockey. Please. , I said to myself. Patrick swallowed, “It wasn’t what we wanted. I gave up a shot and LA won. But to answer your question, yes. I play hockey for Chicago.”

My mom looked at me, and she could tell I warned her to change the subject. “That’s too bad…there’s always next time. So, Lillian, are you ready to move back home?” She joked. I rolled my eyes, and Landon chimed in. “Yeah, Lil. Come back. The weather will be warming up soon…your favorite.” I smirked, shaking my head. “Nothing will bring me back. I’m happy in Chicago.” I told them. I looked at Patrick, and he smiled.

“Let’s play Spoons!” My mother suggested. I gasped, “Oh my god. Let’s do it!”

“What’s Spoons?” Patrick asked, puzzled. “YOU’VE NEVER PLAYED SPOONS!?” I asked. “Spoons is my shit. I’m soooooo good at this game.” I told him, and ran to the desk by the TV. I pulled out a deck of cards while my mom grabbed the spoons. “Landon, go get your father.” My mom told him. I froze, looking at Patrick. He took a deep breath, trying not to notice the tension.

“Mom, I need to talk to you.” I said bluntly, sitting down next to Patrick. She rolled her eyes. She knew what was about to come out of my mouth. “Not now.”

Landon came in the room with my dad, who was smiling, holding a can of Sprite. “Patrick Kane! Patrick Kane is in my fucking kitchen! Who would’ve thought!?” He yelled. I rolled my eyes.

“How you doing, sweetheart?” My dad asked, sitting across from me. “Don’t call me that.” I told him harshly. He had no right. My name was Lillian, to him. Biologically, I was his daughter. But in reality, I was far from it. “I told you. My name is Lilly. Don’t call me anything else
but Lilly.”

My mom cleared her throat, leaning over and setting the spoons across the table. “Okay, so, Patrick, this is how you play. There’s 5 of us, but I’m setting out 4 spoons. I’ll be the dealer, and we each start with 4 cards.”

“The goal of the game is to get 4 of a kind. I, being the dealer, will pick up a card from the deck and then discard a card to the player next to me, who will look at it and discard to the player next to him. I discard it if I don’t need it. The point is to get 4 matching cards, so if you don’t need one of the cards, you need to discard it. We basically pass the cards around the table, still taking new cards from the deck, until someone gets 4 of a kind.”

I continued on for my mom, “You can only have 4 cards in your hand plus one that you are deciding to trade with one of your own or discard....you NEED keep the cards moving. The first person to get 4 of a kind grabs a spoon, and then the remaining players need to grab one too…fast. Whoever doesn’t grab a spoon, is out. That’s why we play with one less spoon.”

Patrick nodded, but he still looked confused. “I got it…I think. 4 cards in your hand, look for matching cards, and grab a spoon if you get the match or if someone else grabs one.” He repeated. I smiled, setting my hand on his thigh. “You got it! Ready to play?”

He nodded, and the game began. It was quiet because we all were focusing. Landon was the first to grab a spoon, followed by Patrick. My dad and I grabbed the last two, and my mom was out. “Good job, babe!” I cheered. Patrick laughed, “This game is intense. I gotta show it to the boys.”

“Hey, sweetie, go grab your boyfriend and I a beer, yeah?” My dad asked me. I slammed my hand against the table. “Don’t call me that!” I yelled. My dad glared at me. “You are my daughter. I will call you whatever the fuck I want to call you! You hear me!?” He yelled back. I stood up, not taking my eyes off of his. “Get your own fucking beer. You’re a poor excuse for a man.” I told him. My dad slammed the table, getting up and throwing his chair.

“Veronica, I am your father. Don’t you dare disrespect me like that!” He shouted. Landon and Patrick both raised, grabbing our arms. “Relax, baby. Let’s just place the game.” Patrick muttered to me. I shook my head and walked toward the front door.

“I can’t be around my own fucking family if this guy is here.” I said. My mom followed me, tears in her eyes. “Lillian, please. Give him a chance. He’s changed.” She cried. Tears welled in my eyes, “I DON’T EVEN KNOW THE MAN, MOM!” I yelled at her. “He fucked up my childhood and you expect me to forgive him? Are you out of your fucking mind!? I will never, NEVER forgive him.”

By then, everyone was standing by the front door. Patrick stood beside me, putting his arm around my waist. “I think we should go. It was great to meet you, Caroline. Nice to see you, Landon.” Patrick said, breaking the silence. I was hysterical, I couldn’t stop the tears. I hated my dad. I had never hated someone so much. I was disgusted by both my mom and my brother for accepting him back into their lives.

My dad did nothing but chuckle. “Let her leave, Caroline. She gonna act like a bitch, she can leave like a bitch. We don’t need her here.”
“Don’t call her a bitch.” Patrick glared, stepping forward. My dad was surprised by his action, but stepped forward as well. I tugged on Patrick’s arm, “Let’s go, Pat.” I begged. He shook his head, “No. I don’t want your dad calling you a bitch.”

“And I don’t want my daughter dating some pussy hockey player, but I can’t stop that, can I?” My dad laughed. Patrick pushed him, and he fell backward, but caught himself on a table. His face was red with rage. He stomped forward, trying to get to Patrick. Landon stepped in between the two, trying to calm them down. My mom did nothing but cry and watch. I was crying too, trying to pull Patrick back.

“Get out! Just get out!” My mom yelled. "You disgust me." I said to my father, then looked at my mom too. I grabbed my bag, and Patrick and I stomped out of the house.

I had never felt so much hatred for my own family in my entire life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Give me some feedback before my next update,yeah? :)
ALSO, my prayers are with Boston. I hope none of my readers have been affected by what happened. Stay strong, Boston.